Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 10:01 am Impressive self-reflection.
Quite. I've always found Macken a very good co-commentator as well as pundit on the various podcasts.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Ian Madigan has signed a 2 year extension to his contract in Ulster. Good luck to him.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Brian Byrne having a great game for Bristol at the moment. Sent over for the bonus point try after 35 mins and just got over for his second. His darts have been spot on (9/9 so far). Only blip for me is his carrying, apart from the BP try, has been fairly ineffective.

Probably a bit unlucky to be moved on at Leinster, he’s still pretty good.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Serb wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:34 pm Brian Byrne having a great game for Bristol at the moment. Sent over for the bonus point try after 35 mins and just got over for his second. His darts have been spot on (9/9 so far). Only blip for me is his carrying, apart from the BP try, has been fairly ineffective.

Probably a bit unlucky to be moved on at Leinster, he’s still pretty good.
couldn't ever be consistent with his lineout throwing... if he has fixed that, how did he do it and can he return and teach the skill to the rest of leinsters hookers?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Bath have been absolutely dire in fairness, so quality of opposition could be a factor there, but he’s landed a few at the tail of the lineout, hitting the jumper at the apex of the lift. Has looked very good to me anyway.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

yeah the throws i've seen have been excellent from him...

it really would make you wonder what sort of training leinster do for hookers.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

SOB started in London Irish's impressive victory over Newcastle today. Apparently he played well too.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Brian Byrne watch continues. He’s 7/7 on his throws with one try after 20 minutes vs Sale.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:06 pm Brian Byrne watch continues. He’s 7/7 on his throws with one try after 20 minutes vs Sale.
:shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:14 pm
Serb wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:06 pm Brian Byrne watch continues. He’s 7/7 on his throws with one try after 20 minutes vs Sale.
:shock:
quality throw to the tail there, where are leinster going wrong with the skill of lineout throwing.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah, I really have no idea. Who would even be responsible for a hookers throwing? McBride? Leo?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:36 pm Yeah, I really have no idea. Who would even be responsible for a hookers throwing? McBride? Leo?
I dunno, we don't have a skills coach.. you'd assume out coaches who used to be hookers would be responsible.. so Fogarty and now McBryde...

But maybe if no one is directly responsible then it's not being prioritized. It's certainly an area that can be improved upon. Byrne struggled with his throwing since u20 level while at leinster, now he is an excellent thrower once he got out of the leinster system.

You'd like to think leinster are very well coached but something is certainly lacking in the current setup when it comes to lineout throwing/skill development at the very least.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Leinster line out currently operating at 89%
4th best in the league
I’m not saying we’re perfect but I think it’s over the top with the level of criticism being put on our hookers
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Gearzbox2 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:17 pm Leinster line out currently operating at 89%
4th best in the league
I’m not saying we’re perfect but I think it’s over the top with the level of criticism being put on our hookers
it's clearly an area that can be improved..if Kelleher's lineout throwing was consistent and reliable he'd be 1st choice for Leinster and Ireland, but it's not, so he isn't.

Cronin/Tracy have been inconsistent for years with it, as was Byrne when he was here.

it's an issue that leinster have dealt and struggled to overcome for years.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:19 pm
Gearzbox2 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:17 pm Leinster line out currently operating at 89%
4th best in the league
it's clearly an area that can be improved..if Kelleher's lineout throwing was reliable he'd be 1st choice for Leinster and Ireland, but it's not.

Cronin/Tracy have been inconsistent for years with it, as was Byrne when he was here.

it's an issue that leinster have dealt with for years.
Just throwing out facts/stats to put some degree of reality on the situation
Can it be better yes, but I’m what I’m saying is that a function line out isn’t all on the thrower
Lifting, calling, jumping and set up all critical along with the throw
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Byrne putting in a good 70 minute shift. 16/16 according to the official stats (which I think is generous — Sale won one of their throws but fumbled on the way down). At least 25 successful throws in a row from him!

Our stats might be ok in the league, but remember that the league is basically 9 shite teams, two decent ones and then us.

Having said that, our lineout was excellent in our biggest recent test against Munster, 100% from us and we won or disrupted 5/14 on their throw.

The real problem with the stats is quite often, even for lineouts that go in the W column, we get disrupted and can’t set out maul or run our strike plays. I do agree that it’s probably a bit better than the doom and gloom here, but I definitely don’t think it’s as good as it should be.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Serb wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:28 pm Byrne putting in a good 70 minute shift. 16/16 according to the official stats (which I think is generous — Sale won one of their throws but fumbled on the way down). At least 25 successful throws in a row from him!

Our stats might be ok in the league, but remember that the league is basically 9 shite teams, two decent ones and then us.

Having said that, our lineout was excellent in our biggest recent test against Munster, 100% from us and we won or disrupted 5/14 on their throw.

The real problem with the stats is quite often, even for lineouts that go in the W column, we get disrupted and can’t set out maul or run our strike plays. I do agree that it’s probably a bit better than the doom and gloom here, but I definitely don’t think it’s as good as it should be.
Agree....can definitely be better in a number of aspects
From observation it’s going in the right direction, especially maul and contesting defence which had been very poor

Hookers have a huge role no doubt but way too much doom and gloom on here just because Brian Bryne has thrown well in his last 2 games (delighted to see him go well too!!!)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leinster hookers don't throw straight!
That's just the way it is.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Serb wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:28 pm Byrne putting in a good 70 minute shift. 16/16 according to the official stats (which I think is generous — Sale won one of their throws but fumbled on the way down). At least 25 successful throws in a row from him!

Bristol had 16 lineouts ?
Serb
Mullet

Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Serb »

erskinechilders wrote:

Bristol had 16 lineouts ?
They had 17 in total, one after Byrne left. They were up to 7 lineouts by the 15th minute.

Is that a surprising number? Connacht had 19 last night, Dragons had 21 for example.