Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 31st, 2023, 3:23 pm Just looking at a potential team of Leinster "Exiles" that could be fielded this weekend *:

* = subject to fitness

15. Carbery, 14. Byrne A, 13. O'Loughlin, 12. Farrell, T, 11. Conway A, 10. Hawkshaw, 9. Patterson P,
1. Dooley, 2. Delahunt S, 3. Aungier, 4. Dowling, 5. O'Conner A, 6. Prendergast C, 7. Murphy Jordi, 8. Boyle P.
A bit harsh on Jimmy Gopperth !!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dundalk 1 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 9:31 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: March 31st, 2023, 3:23 pm Just looking at a potential team of Leinster "Exiles" that could be fielded this weekend *:

* = subject to fitness

15. Carbery, 14. Byrne A, 13. O'Loughlin, 12. Farrell, T, 11. Conway A, 10. Hawkshaw, 9. Patterson P,
1. Dooley, 2. Delahunt S, 3. Aungier, 4. Dowling, 5. O'Conner A, 6. Prendergast C, 7. Murphy Jordi, 8. Boyle P.
A bit harsh on Jimmy Gopperth !!
Age action week!
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

* = subject to fitness

Plus a bench of:
Bryan Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Gavin Thornbury/Josh Murphy/Jack Dunne, Conor Oliver, Hugh O'Sullivan, Jimmy Gopperth, Cian Kelleher.

And obviously ignoring other long term injured like Tadhg Beirne and Marty Moore as well.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

FtD wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 9:38 am

* = subject to fitness

Plus a bench of:
Bryan Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Gavin Thornbury/Josh Murphy/Jack Dunne, Conor Oliver, Hugh O'Sullivan, Jimmy Gopperth, Cian Kelleher.

And obviously ignoring other long term injured like Tadhg Beirne and Marty Moore as well.
With the exception of Beirne, not one of those players would break into next weekend's European starting team in my view.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Jordi Murphy retiring at the end of the season
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sean O'Brien (No. 12 Exeter) selected in Midi-Olympique Team of the Weekend. Alongside him were Jack Conan at No.8 and Andrew Porter at LHP. Weise (Leicester) named as No. 7.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

deco wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:55 pm Jordi Murphy retiring at the end of the season
Seems like only yesterday that he was tearing it up in the RDS when the big knobs were away on international duty.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by deco

Jordi Murphy retiring at the end of the season
A great player. Good luck to him on whatever he does next.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

deco wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:55 pm Jordi Murphy retiring at the end of the season
Really good career for Jordi – he won a Six Nations Grand Slam, a Heineken Cup, went to a World Cup and beat the All Blacks.

He was our No8 in all the knock-out games of the 2017-18 Heineken Cup, holding Jack Conan out of the starting team just by playing really well. Jordi was undersized and very underpowered for a No8 even then, but he was always a confident player and when he got his chance, he stepped up, took the opportunity and wouldn't let the jersey go.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: April 4th, 2023, 6:55 amJordi was undersized and very underpowered for a No8 even then, but he was always a confident player and when he got his chance, he stepped up, took the opportunity and wouldn't let the jersey go.
I think in a way he was a bit of a template for a lot of our current forwards. Okay, we can't be huge brutes like Meafu or Willemse, so how do we offset that or even turn it into an advantage? With pace, quick feet and fast hands, and thats what Jordi did
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'll never forget the maul try he scored in Chicago in 2016 to set Ireland on their way to the first ever victory vs NZ. Thanks, Jordi!!!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

riocard911 wrote: April 4th, 2023, 9:23 am I'll never forget the maul try he scored in Chicago in 2016 to set Ireland on their way to the first ever victory vs NZ. Thanks, Jordi!!!
The shift he did in that first half before the ACL injury was unreal. He was on one that day and set the tone for the win. An amazing performance and a great career.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Adam Byrne is to leave Connacht at the end of the season. A real shame. Injuries ruined what could have been a fine career.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Hoofhearted wrote: April 13th, 2023, 2:36 pm Adam Byrne is to leave Connacht at the end of the season. A real shame. Injuries ruined what could have been a fine career.
Yeah, in his last season with us i thought he still showed flashes of his elite athleticism, and he did the same with a try earlier this season for Connacht in the Challenge Cup.

His body just repeatedly let him down though.

Interested to see if this is it for him, or if he gets a contract somewhere.
Serb
Mullet

Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Serb »

I’ll always be a big Adam Byrne fan. He had bags of potential that ultimately was only partially realised. He really had all the attributes that could have lead to him being close to a world class winger, but he missed out on years of development due to injury.

Any word on where he’s off to or is he hanging up the boots?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Serb wrote: April 13th, 2023, 4:37 pm I’ll always be a big Adam Byrne fan. He had bags of potential that ultimately was only partially realised. He really had all the attributes that could have lead to him being close to a world class winger, but he missed out on years of development due to injury.

It wasn't just that injuries hampered his development by keeping him off the field, they had a massive issue on him physically.

I saw him play for Leinster 'A' years ago [this link: https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... ne#p506284 ] – 11 years ago now, holy smokes – before he made his debut for Leinster, and he was electric as a runner. Unbelievably smooth. You'd swear he was balancing a tray on his head. Went through the gears like Conor Nash.

I think he had two broken legs in the two seasons after he debuted for Leinster as a teenager in Joe's last season. When he came back, he literally ran differently – much more of a gallop, no glide, way more effort, and slower.

And he still had some seasons where he was really good for us, between the long periods when he was out with injury and lost ground, lost confidence. He was a great weapon for us in 2016-17, which was a really enjoyable season. He had become more like Shane Horgan, when he started off more like Dennis Hickie.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Serb

I’ll always be a big Adam Byrne fan. He had bags of potential that ultimately was only partially realised. He really had all the attributes that could have lead to him being close to a world class winger, but he missed out on years of development due to injury.

Apparently he had an offer from a team in the USA but supposedly this week he's decided to retire from Rugby.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jack Dunne starting for Exeter today in a huge game against Leicester. ROL on the bench.

Munster recruit Sean O'Brien starting at 13.
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

wixfjord wrote:Jack Dunne starting for Exeter today in a huge game against Leicester. ROL on the bench.

Munster recruit Sean O'Brien starting at 13.
Anyone get eyes on Dunne today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Didn’t see the game but checked the result and the stats. Obviously the game didn’t go well for Exeter, Dunne played the full 80 but had very little impact if the stats are to be believed. 4 carries for 0 meters, no passes, 10 tackles completed, 3 missed.

Obviously impossible to determine how well someone played based on stats — he could have been hitting rucks left, right and center, but it would appear that any good work he did was likely without the ball.