Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by deco »

Loughman called up to Ireland squad. We really have stepped up and provided the weaker provinces with decent front row options.
https://www.the42.ie/ireland-loughman-h ... /#comments
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

McGrath
Healy
Porter
Byrne
Dooley
Loughman
O'Sullivan

All looseheads who've made Ireland squads and were in Leinster at similar enough times.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

deco wrote: March 7th, 2022, 3:54 pm Loughman called up to Ireland squad. We really have stepped up and provided the weaker provinces with decent front row options.
Ronk has listed the Leinster-trained looseheads who have been in Irish squads above.

With regards to other active provincial props, there's also Marty Moore [Ulster] and Jordan Duggan, Sam Illo & Jack Aungier in Connacht.

There's a really significant reliance on Leinster-trained props all across the provinces. It'd be interesting to get into the nitty-gritty of it and find out why a guy like James French [185cm/121kg], a former All Ireland Schools shot-put gold medallist, has only played in a single game of first class pro rugby for Munster. What's the problem? Obviously a big, strong guy, obviously good co-ordination, obviously a lot of power ... what's the hold-up?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

deco wrote: March 7th, 2022, 3:54 pm Loughman called up to Ireland squad. We really have stepped up and provided the weaker provinces with decent front row options.
Certainly true in at Ulster. Loughman is pretty fortunate to get an Ireland call up, he doesn't start for Munster.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Noel Reid, out-half extraordinary, led LI to a half-time lead against Harlequins before injury replacement and eventual, bonus point, victory for LI over their London rivals. His contribution included a conversion. Class is permanent, form is temporary.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Jimmy Gopperth has signed a contract with Tigers for next season.

Decent signing for them.
Anyone But New Zealand
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:47 pm Jimmy Gopperth has signed a contract with Tigers for next season.

Decent signing for them.
He turns 39 next month.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Sean O'Brien angling for a testimonial runout with the BaaBaas against England next month.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... and-260917
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

curates_egg wrote: May 17th, 2022, 12:06 pm Sean O'Brien angling for a testimonial runout with the BaaBaas against England next month.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... and-260917
Here's hoping that works out for him! The lad definitely deserves the honour.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Anyone know how Karl Martin got on this year? I know he played against us but did he get any other game time?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:08 pm Anyone know how Karl Martin got on this year? I know he played against us but did he get any other game time?
played twice once against us and another game against toulouse off the bench, both losses.

number 22 in this highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TXWy0l ... 4-Officiel

contracted until 2023.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:18 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:08 pm Anyone know how Karl Martin got on this year? I know he played against us but did he get any other game time?
played twice once against us and another game against toulouse off the bench, both losses.

number 22 in this highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TXWy0l ... 4-Officiel

contracted until 2023.
Thanks. Decent take and give under pressure.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Jack McGrath is leaving Ulster.

Since joining Ulster in the summer of 2019, prop Jack McGrath has made his presence felt within the province both on and off the pitch. With 140 appearances for Leinster under his belt when he arrived in Belfast, the Dubliner went on to play as an Ulster man on 24 occasions, with injury curtailing how many times he has pulled on the white jersey recently.

McGrath, who is about to undergo further medical treatment, will continue his rehab and journey back to full fitness as a professional player in the months ahead. Of his time with Ulster, he said:

“A big thanks goes to Ulster Rugby and the coaches during my time in Belfast. My team-mates became close friends and I will always value those friendships.

“I will miss the incredible support of the Ulster fans, it’s a great feeling running out at Kingspan Stadium as a home player, and it’s a shame I can’t get the opportunity to say farewell.

“As for the future, I’m now a free agent and I have no intention of retiring. I face months of rehabbing in my battle for full fitness, but I am surrounded by a top-class team who will ensure I am in great shape to return to play. I am fully committed to becoming the first player in any sport to play at an elite level with two hip resurfacing operations.”

If he was fit I'd take him back but that's a big if!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He signed a one year extension in January though? Strange one. I wasn't aware that he'd had a second hip operation, I'm guessing he's not in great shape but he sounds determined not to let it beat him, hope he gets fit and things work out. Must be tough for him, the hip issue has been there for about 4 years at this stage.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Released a year early was he?
Does not sound good for Jack.
Ulster threw in the towel.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sounds like he was offered an extension then his hip acted up again and Ulster withdrew the offer.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It was officially announced that he had signed though.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 26th, 2022, 4:19 pm It was officially announced that he had signed though.
yup

https://ulster.rugby/content/future-at- ... nd-mcgrath
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 26th, 2022, 4:19 pm It was officially announced that he had signed though.
Assume there was an injury clause getout
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's very different to withdrawing an offer though, that implied that he was left high and dry.

The statement mentions that he'll be rehabbing as a professional so I'm guessing that means he'll be doing it through Ulster at least until his contract is up. If it stops at that stage then I hope we can help him out until he gets sorted, I'm sure he could help out with video analysis or with the young lads as well.