Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

elephantman
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by elephantman »

deco wrote: January 8th, 2022, 8:06 am Flake has signed a 2 year extension with Munster. If he can stay injury free, their young fly half (Healy?) will have to move to get meaningful game time.
Why is Carbery called “Flake”? :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

elephantman wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:40 pm
deco wrote: January 8th, 2022, 8:06 am Flake has signed a 2 year extension with Munster. If he can stay injury free, their young fly half (Healy?) will have to move to get meaningful game time.
Why is Carbery called “Flake”? :lol:
Cadbury Flake, it's a well known chocolate bar.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Tadhg Beirne is the biggest miss by leinster rugby this century.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:17 pm Tadhg Beirne is the biggest miss by leinster rugby this century.
He was absolutely sublime vs Ulster. I think when he was coming through he was unlucky with injuries but he's probably the form player in Ireland at the moment.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 10th, 2022, 9:47 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:17 pm Tadhg Beirne is the biggest miss by leinster rugby this century.
He was absolutely sublime vs Ulster. I think when he was coming through he was unlucky with injuries but he's probably the form player in Ireland at the moment.
Absolutely correct. Leinster never rejected Tadhg Beirne. He had a collection of injuries during his second & third years in our Academy. Academy Board were considering him for another year in our Academy when we were informed a) he had appointed an Agent and b) shortly after the Agent appointment, that he had accepted on offer to join Llanelli. At no point did Leinster "terminate" any contractual agreement with Beirne. He made the decision to take his chances with the Scarlets, despite an injury dominated two seasons. Tadhg and Scarlets Coach Wayne Pivac made the call and both made it work well. Fair dos to both of them.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Tadgh says he was told there was no contract for him at leinster: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/tadhg-be ... ter-138949
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

To be honest, every time I hear him talk about his time at Leinster, or Leinster in general, it sounds to me like he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder (rightly or wrongly). If that is the case he's at the right place. No better place to show him how to develop it, I would say.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:27 pm To be honest, every time I hear him talk about his time at Leinster, or Leinster in general, it sounds to me like he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder (rightly or wrongly). If that is the case he's at the right place. No better place to show him how to develop it, I would say.
well he felt rejected by leinster, so it's understandable, doesn't change the fact he is a fantastic player.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tadhg is long gone lads. It's ancient history at this stage. Bringing it up again and again is a moot point.

At the time and based on the info available it was the right call.

He has turned into a brilliant player.

But that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to cut him based on the reality at the time. Not sure how anyone could've predicted his growth when he was an injury prone pizza delivering academy lock/backrow without a significant physical profile and with a few nondescript senior minutes.

The nature of Leinster's advantage in terms of playing numbers is we're going to have to make hard choices and there will always be outliers that are gotten wrong. Cian Prendergast looks like he could be another. That's a function of success and player quantity.

If you can get 90% right you're doing very well.

We've plenty of second row talent coming through too and as good and all as Beirne is, he's not even the type of second row we really need at the moment.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

And anyway, we all know Berti Newman will take Tadgh's crown as 'Leinster's biggest miss of the century' soon enough.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

On the topic of exiles, great to see Jimmy Gopperth still going strong and beating the Tigers for the first time this season at the weekend.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:30 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:27 pm To be honest, every time I hear him talk about his time at Leinster, or Leinster in general, it sounds to me like he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder (rightly or wrongly). If that is the case he's at the right place. No better place to show him how to develop it, I would say.
well he felt rejected by leinster, so it's understandable, doesn't change the fact he is a fantastic player.
Not at all! he is a fantastic player and he's been a great catch for Munster, that is the reality.

But equally as real is the fact that thusfar for Scarlets and Munster whenever we've played him (for the most part anyway) we've had his number. I think he knows that too and thats part of the 'chip' on his shoulder.

As long as that's the case he can be as good as he likes for Munster and even better for Ireland!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:51 pm On the topic of exiles, great to see Jimmy Gopperth still going strong and beating the Tigers for the first time this season at the weekend.
It always seemed Jimmy was a real 'Marmite' player for Leinster fans. I've heard the word Journeyman used a lot about him but I always thought he was great for us. Never seen him give less then 100% for us or Wasps. A great Pro!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:46 pm Tadhg is long gone lads. It's ancient history at this stage. Bringing it up again and again is a moot point.

At the time and based on the info available it was the right call.

He has turned into a brilliant player.

But that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to cut him based on the reality at the time. Not sure how anyone could've predicted his growth when he was an injury prone pizza delivering academy lock/backrow without a significant physical profile and with a few nondescript senior minutes.

The nature of Leinster's advantage in terms of playing numbers is we're going to have to make hard choices and there will always be outliers that are gotten wrong. Cian Prendergast looks like he could be another. That's a function of success and player quantity.

If you can get 90% right you're doing very well.

We've plenty of second row talent coming through too and as good and all as Beirne is, he's not even the type of second row we really need at the moment.
Can't argue with any of that. Every time TB plays well for Munster *(and that's very often) there someone one wringing there hands about "the one that got away. "Be glad of what you have, don't worry about what you haven't got", that's what I say! :D
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:56 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:51 pm On the topic of exiles, great to see Jimmy Gopperth still going strong and beating the Tigers for the first time this season at the weekend.
It always seemed Jimmy was a real 'Marmite' player for Leinster fans. I've heard the word Journeyman used a lot about him but I always thought he was great for us. Never seen him give less then 100% for us or Wasps. A great Pro!
I think he was only 'marmite' because he was seeing as stealing game time from Madser.

When the reality, as we've seen play out over the last 5-6 years, is that he's just a much better 10 than Madser.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jimmy was never the problem, although replacing Sexton in his prime was always an impossibility as both Jimmy and, to a greater extent, Madser showed. The problem was the coach.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: January 10th, 2022, 3:49 pm And anyway, we all know Berti Newman will take Tadgh's crown as 'Leinster's biggest miss of the century' soon enough.
Damn straight Bernard. :wink:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: January 10th, 2022, 4:02 pm
I think he was only 'marmite' because he was seeing as stealing game time from Madser.

When the reality, as we've seen play out over the last 5-6 years, is that he's just a much better 10 than Madser.
That would have been my view of Jimmy at the time though I think we all knew he was a good player. I'm not sure Madigan wouldn't have become a much better player if he had stayed with us but his bank manager probably disagrees!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Gopperth was so close to becoming a Leinster hero. He missed a drop goal against Toulon by a whisker in the 2015 semi final to likely win the match. Really felt like he should have slotted it at the time, but overall I think he was a decent player for us.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FWIW, I thought Jimmy Gopperth was really good for us