Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lock9541
Graduate

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:17 am Two tries for Lucas Berti Newman for Bristol u18's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJ2R_G ... tolBearsTV
Would like to see him called up to Ireland u20s next year. Would that be allowed if he’s in Bristol academy?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lock9541 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:15 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:17 am Two tries for Lucas Berti Newman for Bristol u18's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJ2R_G ... tolBearsTV
Would like to see him called up to Ireland u20s next year. Would that be allowed if he’s in Bristol academy?
I cant see it given he left ireland to play abroad. Similar to Karl Martin.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:35 pm
I have seen guys in the U20s marked as exiles in the past so I don't think it would be hugely out of the question (unless there have been some changes in policy).

I want to say that was a young chap playing in the centre for the U20s maybe 3 seasons ago and he was in the Premiership. Can't remember his name but I think he's hitched his wagon to England since. Any of that sound right to anyone?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:39 pm

I have seen guys in the U20s marked as exiles in the past so I don't think it would be hugely out of the question (unless there have been some changes in policy).

I want to say that was a young chap playing in the centre for the U20s maybe 3 seasons ago and he was in the Premiership. Can't remember his name but I think he's hitched his wagon to England since. Any of that sound right to anyone?
Dan Kelly, plays for Leicester. Exiles are regularly included in underage squads but that's when they've come through the Exiles programme. Don't remember any who've left Ireland getting selected. Tadhg McElroy got dumped from a JWC squad after it was announced that he'd signed for Saracens.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:39 pm I have seen guys in the U20s marked as exiles in the past so I don't think it would be hugely out of the question (unless there have been some changes in policy).
Exiles is the fifth province (now called IQ Rugby) - its set up in GB as a development pathway for GB origin players of Irish heritage. Guys like Kieran Marmion, the Ruddocks and Kieran Treadwell came through that pathway. However, once they reach senior level they must move to an Irish province if they want to stay on the Irish pathway.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:39 pm

Those players didnt leave ireland, different scenario then, you wont be picked for ireland afaik if you do.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:53 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:39 pm I have seen guys in the U20s marked as exiles in the past so I don't think it would be hugely out of the question (unless there have been some changes in policy).
Exiles is the fifth province (now called IQ Rugby) - its set up in GB as a development pathway for GB origin players of Irish heritage. Guys like Kieran Marmion, the Ruddocks and Kieran Treadwell came through that pathway. However, once they reach senior level they must move to an Irish province if they want to stay on the Irish pathway.
Gotca! This, I did not know. I assumed anyone playing abroad could be deemed an exile if they had ability to play for Ireland. Cheers
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I remember a few Ulster fellows who were playing for Glasgow's second team been picked but that was a while back and again probably special circumstances.

Also congrats to Sam Illo for making the bench for Connacht. Hope it goes well for him.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:46 pm I remember a few Ulster fellows who were playing for Glasgow's second team been picked but that was a while back and again probably special circumstances.

Also congrats to Sam Illo for making the bench for Connacht. Hope it goes well for him.
Yes, congrats to Illo, great to make your first appearance in a European fixture in Paris, must be very exciting.

On the bench with him at TH is Charlie Ward (Tullow RFC) in his first appearance, and Greg McGrath makes his first start for Connacht at TH. Jordan Duggan at LH, so all the props have Leinster connections.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

berliner wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:56 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:46 pm I remember a few Ulster fellows who were playing for Glasgow's second team been picked but that was a while back and again probably special circumstances.

Yes, congrats to Illo, great to make your first appearance in a European fixture in Paris, must be very exciting.

On the bench with him at TH is Charlie Ward (Tullow RFC) in his first appearance, and Greg McGrath makes his first start for Connacht at TH. Jordan Duggan at LH, so all the props have Leinster connections.
all the props came through leinster underage system. :clap:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sean O'Brien (the centre) starting for Exeter away to Montpellier
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bryan Byrne starting for Bristol this weekend.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by cormac

Bryan Byrne starting for Bristol this weekend.
Glad for him. He seemed to have disappeared for a while from the first team.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

There’s an interview with Conor Nash on the Smaller Fish GAA podcast this week. He talks about his decision to try AFL instead of taking up Leinster’s offer
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 2:03 pm There’s an interview with Conor Nash on the Smaller Fish GAA podcast this week. He talks about his decision to try AFL instead of taking up Leinster’s offer
That lad Parkinson has been a sap all his life, I'm not going to listen to it. If anybody does will they give a summary of what Nash had to say?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 3:26 pm
Twist wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 2:03 pm There’s an interview with Conor Nash on the Smaller Fish GAA podcast this week. He talks about his decision to try AFL instead of taking up Leinster’s offer
That lad Parkinson has been a sap all his life, I'm not going to listen to it. If anybody does will they give a summary of what Nash had to say?
Found it really hard at the start. Was kept out for a while with a hamstring injury and got shifted around a bit until they found him a position which lately is inside mid. His last 4 games(of the season) were apparently very good. Hawthorn had a 3peat ending in 2015 which left them down the pecking order for 3years in the draft and they've been struggling to rebuild since. A lot of the guys from that team are now mostly gone so in the middle to late stages of a rebuild. I'm not sure but it seems they reassess the panel of 44 annually(NFL style) and competition is quite tight.

He seems quite happy to finally have found his postion and spoke about understanding where he had to be and what he had to do. He competes for breaking balls from rucks or tackles and gets it out to wings and attackers.

On Leinster, there was nothing concrete in the offer compared to what AFL offered. College->sub academy->academy->development->senior and ultimately non of that is guaranteed. Didn't go into the specifics of the AFL offer only that it was better and it was more of an adventure. He knows th door is open for him there(as with GAA) but he's enjoying himself now and he'll keep doing what he's doing.

He got in some trouble earlier in his career when he palyed a GAA match when he was home but it seems he explained it was amatuer and all he had to do was clear it with them first. He packed Rugby in fairly early in 6th year and focused on playing for Simonstown Gaels helping them to a senior(?) championship in his final year at home.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:01 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 3:26 pm
Found it really hard at the start. Was kept out for a while with a hamstring injury and got shifted around a bit until they found him a position which lately is inside mid. His last 4 games(of the season) were apparently very good. Hawthorn had a 3peat ending in 2015 which left them down the pecking order for 3years in the draft and they've been struggling to rebuild since. A lot of the guys from that team are now mostly gone so in the middle to late stages of a rebuild. I'm not sure but it seems they reassess the panel of 44 annually(NFL style) and competition is quite tight.

He seems quite happy to finally have found his postion and spoke about understanding where he had to be and what he had to do. He competes for breaking balls from rucks or tackles and gets it out to wings and attackers.

On Leinster, there was nothing concrete in the offer compared to what AFL offered. College->sub academy->academy->development->senior and ultimately non of that is guaranteed. Didn't go into the specifics of the AFL offer only that it was better and it was more of an adventure. He knows th door is open for him there(as with GAA) but he's enjoying himself now and he'll keep doing what he's doing.

He got in some trouble earlier in his career when he palyed a GAA match when he was home but it seems he explained it was amatuer and all he had to do was clear it with them first. He packed Rugby in fairly early in 6th year and focused on playing for Simonstown Gaels helping them to a senior(?) championship in his final year at home.
Thanks, appreciate that.

From what I had read he turned the corner midway through last season. Hawthorn's long-standing [and previously very successful] head coach announced that he would be standing down at the end of the season and that they would start a really significant re-building process mid-season. Nash and a few other younger players did really well with the opportunity.

From my perspective, the metaphorical train has sailed. Nash has started doing well in the AFL and Keenan has been an absolute revelation at fullback for Ireland and Leinster.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:08 pm
From my perspective, the metaphorical train has sailed. Nash has started doing well in the AFL and Keenan has been an absolute revelation at fullback for Ireland and Leinster.
It pretty much sailed when he quit rugby in 6th year and had a path to pro AFL.

At this stage he'd have to want it to take a risk.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He sounded pretty happy with things and while some of his answers were a bit boilerplatey, he's not being wheeled out for media duties here. I don't think he'd be doing an interview if things were going badly for him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

SOB is finally back for London Irish this weekend and starting at 8, Hugh O'Sullivan is on the bench. Connacht's SOB is on the bench for Exeter.