Edinburgh vs Leinster Pro12

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Edinburgh vs Leinster Pro12

Post by Dave Cahill »

With the Irish squad announced we now know who we'll have available for our first match of the season against Edinburgh. The big question is how serious is the injury that caused Moores exclusion from the international squad. Also, when is Rhys Ruddock back? Having taken a risk by only selecting two scrum halves I'd say Joe will insist on Boss being kept up to speed should he be required, meaning the hopes for McGrath getting plenty of starts during the world cup are seed spilt on fallow ground

Bent, Dundon, Hagan, McCarthy, Denton, McLaughlin, Leavy, Conan, Boss, Marsh, McFadden, D'Arcy, Te'o, Fanning, Nacewa

reps. Byrne, Dooley, RBF, Beirne, vd Flier, McGrath, Reid, Ringrose
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Edinburgh vs Leinster Pro12

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:With the Irish squad announced we now know who we'll have available for our first match of the season against Edinburgh. The big question is how serious is the injury that caused Moores exclusion from the international squad. Also, when is Rhys Ruddock back? Having taken a risk by only selecting two scrum halves I'd say Joe will insist on Boss being kept up to speed should he be required, meaning the hopes for McGrath getting plenty of starts during the world cup are seed spilt on fallow ground

Bent, Dundon, Hagan, McCarthy, Denton, McLaughlin, Leavy, Conan, Boss, Marsh, McFadden, D'Arcy, Te'o, Fanning, Nacewa

Ruddock was on water-boy duty last Friday evening, usually an indicator he's not too far off fitness.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Anyone know when the team is being announced?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:Anyone know when the team is being announced?
youd assume Thursday lunchtime
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

cormac wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:With the Irish squad announced we now know who we'll have available for our first match of the season against Edinburgh. The big question is how serious is the injury that caused Moores exclusion from the international squad. Also, when is Rhys Ruddock back? Having taken a risk by only selecting two scrum halves I'd say Joe will insist on Boss being kept up to speed should he be required, meaning the hopes for McGrath getting plenty of starts during the world cup are seed spilt on fallow ground

Ruddock was on water-boy duty last Friday evening, usually an indicator he's not too far off fitness.
Would be great to have him back. If he had been fit I think he would be in the Ireland squad ahead of Murphy. While I would prefer to see youth getting its chance in this wc window I am more interested in making sure the backup guys for the Irish squad are kept sharp. Boss and McGrath sharing time at 9 covers both angles as from an Irish perspective you want them sharp but not battered and tired from too much rugby.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would tend to go with big, tough and experienced for this away game and more academy players for the 2 home games v Cardiff and Newport.

Boss and McGrath alternating starts for example and Mick Mcgrath and Fanning this week with Ringrose and Kelleher next time.

We have 4 or 5 players to "keep warm" for Ireland. Darce, Bent, Moore, Boss and perhaps Ferg. I would expect them all to start or bench over the next 4 games. (fitness permitting)
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dave Cahill wrote:

No place for Dom Ryan?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Forgot about him to be honest.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Three cheers to everyone.
You've survived the off season, the cider season and the pre-season.
A hat-trick in the bag and not a ball kicked in anger yet.
And there's more, our friends across the water won the Ashes, now doesn't that just bring a glow to the cockles of your hearts.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if Joe is tempted to release certain players who need games? Probably can't do it with any forwards given the lack of depth, but maybe one of Luke Fitz or Dave Kearney could be available? Cave for Ulster another obvious one. I'm sure he values their time in camp more but there are a few guys who won't be involved against England who could do with the game time.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if Joe is tempted to release certain players who need games? Probably can't do it with any forwards given the lack of depth, but maybe one of Luke Fitz or Dave Kearney could be available? Cave for Ulster another obvious one. I'm sure he values their time in camp more but there are a few guys who won't be involved against England who could do with the game time.
True, if that were the case we might get Madigan lent back to us as well
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Forgot about him to be honest.
Unfortunately at this point I think that is becoming more and more of an issue - he seems to be easy to forget!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if Joe is tempted to release certain players who need games? Probably can't do it with any forwards given the lack of depth, but maybe one of Luke Fitz or Dave Kearney could be available? Cave for Ulster another obvious one. I'm sure he values their time in camp more but there are a few guys who won't be involved against England who could do with the game time.
So Madigan to start at 9, Boss to bench, and Luke McGrath to cry.

It'll be interesting to see if and when Madigan does actually get any time at 9. When I was thinking about that post I was thinking about the extra guys who would be needed to cover and it struck me that it's even strange not to have a third option (well, we do but obviously it's Madigan) for the England game. Just can't get on board with that.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
So Madigan to start at 9, Boss to bench, and Luke McGrath to cry.

It'll be interesting to see if and when Madigan does actually get any time at 9. When I was thinking about that post I was thinking about the extra guys who would be needed to cover and it struck me that it's even strange not to have a third option (well, we do but obviously it's Madigan) for the England game. Just can't get on board with that.
Surely Madigan now has to be involved or on stand-by for every Irish game, as he is the 3rd 9 and 2nd/3rd 10 option?

One thing this squad selection seems to indicate is that he is not being viewed as prominently as an option at 12...not sure what that means beyond the RWC and for all those on here who see that as his only future.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:I would tend to go with big, tough and experienced for this away game and more academy players for the 2 home games v Cardiff and Newport.

Boss and McGrath alternating starts for example and Mick Mcgrath and Fanning this week with Ringrose and Kelleher next time.

We have 4 or 5 players to "keep warm" for Ireland. Darce, Bent, Moore, Boss and perhaps Ferg. I would expect them all to start or bench over the next 4 games. (fitness permitting)
advantage of that is you can say (to the players) everyone got a start (if not a good shot) in the first two games to show what theyve got
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:
Surely Madigan now has to be involved or on stand-by for every Irish game, as he is the 3rd 9 and 2nd/3rd 10 option?

One thing this squad selection seems to indicate is that he is not being viewed as prominently as an option at 12...not sure what that means beyond the RWC and for all those on here who see that as his only future.
Yeah I don't actually see it with Madigan. Cave is probably the only realistic one given the injury doubts around Earls and Luke Fitz.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Xanthippe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Forgot about him to be honest.
Unfortunately at this point I think that is becoming more and more of an issue - he seems to be easy to forget!!!
because he doesn't have the potential at 7 of either Leavy/Van Der Flier.
and he isn't as good a player as Ruddock or Conan.
he should only play 6 and his main competition at the moment is currently captain for the world cup.

he needs to make a major improvement on last years form if he want's to not be forgotten.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:[and for all those on here who see that as his only future.
Not so much that we see it as his only future, but rather his only future with Leinster. He can be second fiddle as an outhalf but can take first chair in another position.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Well, whatever you believe, this squad selection surely means he is even less likely to be involved with Leinster? He will need to be on hand for Ireland to cover 9 and 10.
I guess we will have to wait until after the world cup to find out what the new coaching team has in mind for him at Leinster.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The set of circumstances that would have to come to pass for Ian Madigan to play any kind of significant time at 9 would come with some very long odds attached. He'll have to be ready to play at 5/8 though because in the normal run of things he'll probably be one of the most 'involved' players in the squad. He will probably start at outhalf against one of Canada or Romania (he may even start against the other at 12) and be on the bench against Italy and France covering 10 and 12 - He'll be in every matchday squad at least I reckon. The way the fixtures fall would mitigate against him being released to us before the tournament as the 'lesser' games are up first
I have Bumbleflex