Moderator: moderators

FrankBurke
Mullet

Dragons v Leinster

Post by FrankBurke »

Sooooo,,,, Dragons v Leinster (Pro12) on 12 April

Edinburgh v Dragons (Challenge Cup) 17 April

Toulon v Leinster (Champions Cup) 19 April

Will both teams ask for a reschedule of Pro 12 game? Makes sense.....
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Dragons v Leinster

Post by simonokeeffe »

FrankBurke wrote:Sooooo,,,, Dragons v Leinster (Pro12) on 12 April

Edinburgh v Dragons (Challenge Cup) 17 April

Toulon v Leinster (Champions Cup) 19 April

Will both teams ask for a reschedule of Pro 12 game? Makes sense.....
Bit late for it now
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We'll have a 5 day turn around after the SF. Just unlucky for the Dragons. We'll have to pick a full strength team to give them another run out before Toulon.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ulster is the one we would want re scheduled. Re scheduling this week doesn't help us at all. Also Embra host munster on Friday. 5 days after yesterday's game.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Dragons have the handiest choice. They are completely out of it in the league and can throw everything at the CC.

Both Embra and Leinster have something to play for in the league.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The likes of Healy, SOB, Reddan and Douglas will feature here because they need the gametime. I'd imagine RK, Heaslip and Lukey Fitz might be rested. Must win game, preferably with a bonus point. With the core of the first team we should be able to get a good result.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

neiliog93 wrote:The likes of Healy, SOB, Reddan and Douglas will feature here because they need the gametime.
Healy had a real curates egg on Saturday and missed a bunch of tackles. He has been starting over McGrath for Ireland and Leinster on reputation and the fact he is a ball-carrier.
Not sure whether or not it is game-time he needs but I would have McGrath ahead of him, heresy as that will sound to some. Makes a load of tackles and always good for a turnover. Also seems a better scrumager.

As for Douglas, I have not been a fan but by god Denton showed how dramatic the drop-off is on Saturday. We need Douglas fit and focused for Marseille.
For all his effort against Glasgow, for which he could not be faulted, if Denton is required in Marseille, we are goosed.

I'll tell you who also needs a game: Luke McGrath.
Boss looked finished in the first half of the season and Reddan has now overtaken him for that mantle.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Free Luke McGrath!!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

goreyguy wrote:Free Luke McGrath!!
With every pack of cornflakes!!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

curates_egg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:The likes of Healy, SOB, Reddan and Douglas will feature here because they need the gametime.
Healy had a real curates egg on Saturday and missed a bunch of tackles. He has been starting over McGrath for Ireland and Leinster on reputation and the fact he is a ball-carrier.
Not sure whether or not it is game-time he needs but I would have McGrath ahead of him, heresy as that will sound to some. Makes a load of tackles and always good for a turnover. Also seems a better scrumager.

As for Douglas, I have not been a fan but by god Denton showed how dramatic the drop-off is on Saturday. We need Douglas fit and focused for Marseille.
For all his effort against Glasgow, for which he could not be faulted, if Denton is required in Marseille, we are goosed.

I'll tell you who also needs a game: Luke McGrath.
Boss looked finished in the first half of the season and Reddan has now overtaken him for that mantle.
Healy probably does need game time and this would be a good game to give it to him. However I would follow your logic for the next game and keep him on the bench. Even not at 100% he is a hell of an impact player.

Also agree on the row options. Without Douglas we have a problem. Denton appears to be top of the pile of alternatives and at present he looks like average for the pro12.

This is also a good game for Luke. I think we need to pick a strong squad with only a few rested to maintain continuity and build on the combinations and that is the perfect time to add a guy like Luke to get some time surrounded by more senior guys.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It seems McFadden and Douglas are out this week. Personally I'd rest Rob and Dev, they are high on the minutes and played all games in the 6n.

I'd leave the rest together to try and gel a bit.

Healy
Cronin
Ross
McCarthy
Denton
Murphy
O'Brien
Heaslip

Boss
Gopperth
Fitzgerald
Madigan
Te'o
D Kearney (If fit)
Kirchner

Strauss
McGrath
Moore
Marshall
Ryan
Reddan
D'Arcy
Fanning
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I think another 10-12-13 combo has to be tried as well.
I don't think Gopperth-Madigan-Te'o will cut it vs Toulon, so I wouldn't buy the argument of giving it more time to bed in.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

curates_egg wrote:I think another 10-12-13 combo has to be tried as well.
I don't think Gopperth-Madigan-Te'o will cut it vs Toulon, so I wouldn't buy the argument of giving it more time to bed in.
I'd prefer a different one too. If you asked 10 Leinster fans you could come up with 10 different combos.

That's the problem. There isn't a perfect one that jumps out. One that "just has to be" with everyone fit. Like say Sexton, D'arcy, Bod would have been 2 years ago.

I reckon the time for experimenting is past for this season. MOC favours Gopperth, Madigan, Te'o. That's what we're gonna get barring injury.

There are somewhere between 5 and 8 games left in the season.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I think another 10-12-13 combo has to be tried as well.
I'd prefer a different one too. If you asked 10 Leinster fans you could come up with 10 different combos.

That's the problem. There isn't a perfect one that jumps out. One that "just has to be" with everyone fit. Like say Sexton, D'arcy, Bod would have been 2 years ago.

I reckon the time for experimenting is past for this season. MOC favours Gopperth, Madigan, Te'o. That's what we're gonna get barring injury.

There are somewhere between 5 and 8 games left in the season.
Was last weekend not the first time that combo actually started together? It was just about not bad enough to lose us the game but surely O'Connor should be big enough to pick a better option if there is one.
D'Arcy's media duty this week suggests he is at least being looked at.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Te'o at 13 and Gopperth at 10 have played all but 9 minutes together since January. D'Arcy has been at 12 (Bar 1 game where Reid was replaced by Luke) until the Glasgow game because Mads was unavailable.

Do you think Gopperth, D'Arcy, Te'o is better than Gopperth, Madigan, Te'o?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Who knows? Perhaps he will rest Gopperth this week? and try Mads, Darce, Te'o? Gopperth has by 300 minutes the highest Leinster (and including Leinster players Ireland minutes) playing time this season.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Think the starting backrow and 10 - 12 - 13 axis for Toulon need to start this game, as both areas will be the winning/losing of the semi and both areas could do with some continuity to build something resembling familiarity.

The front 5 and back 3 could do with a bit more rotation to give some guys rests and brew some competition for places

Boss and Reddan are pretty much interchangeable at this point. McGrath would have to start if they plan to have him in the 23 for the semi
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The 10/12 axis isn't working. Ideally, I'd have wanted to see how Noel Reid could have gone at 12 over the 6N. He seems more natural in the position and offers a dangerous running threat that Madigan doesn't really offer any more now opposition have him marked. His footballing skills may have worked nicely at 12 with Madigan at 10 in terms of releasing the back line.

As it stands, I'm not sure what we should be looking at. There's a case for Te'o at 12, certainly, but he has never played there and the back line will certainly be impacted if we look to move the ball wide. I don't think we can put D'Arcy there as he's just looking tired these days and was exposed last season in this fixture. I've no doubt we're going to go with a 10/12/13 of Gopperth, Madigan and Te'o though.

I think we'll see Sexton/Reid a bit next season, to be honest. It will start off with Madigan at 12 but I'm not sure it will be retained long term.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

ceemec wrote:The 10/12 axis isn't working. Ideally, I'd have wanted to see how Noel Reid could have gone at 12 over the 6N. He seems more natural in the position and offers a dangerous running threat that Madigan doesn't really offer any more now opposition have him marked. His footballing skills may have worked nicely at 12 with Madigan at 10 in terms of releasing the back line.

As it stands, I'm not sure what we should be looking at. There's a case for Te'o at 12, certainly, but he has never played there and the back line will certainly be impacted if we look to move the ball wide. I don't think we can put D'Arcy there as he's just looking tired these days and was exposed last season in this fixture. I've no doubt we're going to go with a 10/12/13 of Gopperth, Madigan and Te'o though.

I think we'll see Sexton/Reid a bit next season, to be honest. It will start off with Madigan at 12 but I'm not sure it will be retained long term.
Is there any merit in looking at Mads-Reid-Te'o for 40 minutes? Personally I'd like to see them start there, with Jimmy coming off the bench for Reid in the second half with a view to the inevitable Gopperth-Mads-Te'o combo against Toulon. Gopperths form hasn't been great and persisting with a guy who is out of form without even looking at other options seems wrong.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Mads-Reid-Te'o, would be fairly weak in defence.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan