Gordon D'Arcy retiring

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

D'Arse
Mullet

Gordon D'Arcy retiring

Post by D'Arse »

Just heard that D'Arcy is retiring at the end of this season. Over 250 Leinster caps making him our most capped player ever. The term "legend" is all too often thrown about but I think his service to Leinster firmly places him in the Leinster Legend category. Make sure to give him a send off to remember at his last home game.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Gordon D'Arcy retiring

Post by goreyguy »

Hasn't been announced officially but no surprise.
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

Best of Luck to him, he lived in the shadow of a great player which probably deflected a lot of praise away from him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

say it aint so

think he may have wanted to play on for Leinster at least but he doesnt look to be in plans so cant blame him for not wanting to go out with a whimper
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

What a great player! His haul is pretty complete I know but it would be nice if he got another medal or two to retire with.

Thanks Gordon. Thanks so much for so much for so many years.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Calm down folks
check todays date
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

He is to be appointed as backs coach after retirement.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Blue not red blood wrote:Calm down folks
check todays date
great advice, except it was posted on March 31st
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

We come from the same village so I've been dreading this news, if true, for the last few years.
Gordon D'Arcy gave some outstanding performances in O'Driscoll's 13 jersey in 2004 (player of the year in Europe) that have been largely forgotten in BODs farewell tour last year.
Gordon was a victim of some pretty scandalous comments from the management and press surrounding the Lions tour of 2005, when he wasn't fit, and I don't think that was ever properly dealt with.
How Gordon reinvented himself from the stocky wing/fullback who got a call up for the 1999 World Cup to one of the best inside centres the game has seen
has been remarkable. Remember those days, of BOD, Hickie, Dempsey, Horgan and D'Arcy scoring for fun in Donnybrook?
I will always remember him as a great rugby player in his own right, so good defensively and one part of the best centre partnership the international game has seen since
Horan and Little.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Probably the right time to go. He's just turned 35 and still good enough to make our bench. RWC was maybe a stretch too far unless Joe wants an experienced option in reserve.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I'd like 1 more year.

But best of luck if its true. One of Leinsters greatest ever.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Psycho B
Graduate

Post by Psycho B »

Looks like he's not being left with much of choice by Leinster.
Absolutely gutted for him. I would love to see him keep playing for one more year even if it is not with Leinster.

url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 31158.html[/url]
Psycho B
Graduate

Post by Psycho B »

Looks like he's not being left with much of choice by Leinster.
Absolutely gutted for him. I would love to see him keep playing for one more year even if it is not with Leinster.

url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 31158.html[/url]
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

One of the greats and a true gentleman to boot. Whatever happens I hope he's happy.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Darce has played for Ireland in the last year, I don't buy that his demise has been that dramatic and feel he still has a role to play. I know the idea of loyalty in our game is a bit of a busted flush but I'd like like to see it given one more outing for Darce who is one critical half of the greatest center partnership Ireland has ever seen.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

My early memories of watching D'Arcy on the wing was that he was always being stretchered off with a back injury. I predicted that he would DEFINITELY have an injury shortened career. Added to that he had a year where he had to have his arm reset 2 or 3 times. Amazing that he has shown such durability in such an attritional position. Whether he would make the RWC squad or not, he would be a valuable stand by in case of emergencies for Ireland.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

TrapperChamonix wrote:My early memories of watching D'Arcy on the wing was that he was always being stretchered off with a back injury. I predicted that he would DEFINITELY have an injury shortened career. Added to that he had a year where he had to have his arm reset 2 or 3 times. Amazing that he has shown such durability in such an attritional position. Whether he would make the RWC squad or not, he would be a valuable stand by in case of emergencies for Ireland.
In fairness, he looked after his body more as his career progressed. Think its fair to say that he was a right eejit in the beginning and body protection wasn't top of his priorities....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Seems a bit strange at a time when we are looking to bring ISA back, rumours of Stringer coming are growing, and its a time when we know 90% of the squad will be at the world cup, we are looking to release a guy who was deemed good enough to play for Ireland just a few months ago.

I don't believe he'll be retiring. It makes no sense.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:I don't believe he'll be retiring.

It makes no sense.
I don't see these statements as mutually exclusive.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He'd always maintained he'd carry on until the RWC. So he might sign a short-term/one season deal with a foreign club in the hope of making the squad. If he doesn't make it, he has some rugby to fall back on and might get called up if someone gets injured, which is very possible. I still expect him to be involved in the Summertime pre-RWC training camps at least.

Luke Marshall has struggled with concussions and injuries and hasn't pushed on from where he was in 2013 and Olding is only just coming back from injury. Joe doesn't like Cave that much, who's more of a 13 anyway. I'd say D'Arcy has a decent shot at a back-up RWC place, given his experience and his status as a 'Schmidt favourite'.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!