Scarlets v Leinster Sat 7th March 5pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Andrew097
Bookworm

Re: Scarlets v Leinster Sat 7th March 5pm

Post by Andrew097 »

Leinster should have won last week with the team that went out, this team should win too. Considering so many are away with Ireland to be able to field so many good players is amazing. But I have no confidence they will, generally they have not played well this season, you have to say its a reflection on the coach.
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not happy Dave Kearney behind Kirchner or Te'o (admittedly thats on IRFU orders)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Limecat is off on another one of his Catnip binges, so there is the preview in case anyone still cares....

SCARLETS v LEINSTER

Guinness Pro12 Round 17
Parc y Scarlets, Saturday 7th March 2015
Kick-off 5.15
Television: Sky Sports 1

The period during the Six Nations is a strange time for the Pro12. Obviously it gets less attention than normal, particularly in weekends when there are direct clashes with Six Nations games. However it can also be a very valuable time in that teams with good squad depth can take advantage and rack up a lot of wins. Since the Italians teams entered the league back in 2010, there has been four matches played during the Six Nations timespan. Generally Leinster have done well in this period and in the last two seasons they’ve won four from four. But this season will be their worst return from this period in terms of wins, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

A loss at home to the Dragons and a tepid win against Zebre was followed by a draw away to the Ospreys last week. Anyone unfortunate enough to either watch or play in that mind-numbingly dull game will want to wipe it from their memory. At least there should be a bit more entertainment in tomorrow’s game against the Scarlets, who generally play a decent brand of rugby and also generally have a pretty generous defence.

You could forgive the Scarlets for being sick of the sight of Irish teams at the moment. By dint of a quirk of the fixture list, this will be the fourth time in four weeks that they’ve faced Irish teams. In another quirk, their record for the three games exactly mirrors Leinster’s with a bonus-point win, a draw and a losing bonus point defeat. That defeat came last week away to Ulster and it was a blow in their campaign to finish ahead of Connacht in sixth place and secure qualification for the Rugby Champions Cup next season.

In this season’s Champions Cup the Scarlets acquitted themselves quite respectably beating both Ulster and Leicester at home and playing well away to Toulon. However they were never really in contention to qualify and now the league is their only focus.

The Scarlets have lost their last six matches against Leinster, but will feel confident they can really challenge Leinster in this match. Former All Black Regan King, in his second spell with the team, has been on sparkling form lately and he forms a very strong partnership with Welsh international Scott Williams. Another Kiwi Hadleigh Parkes forms a back three with pacy youngsters Jordan Williams and Harry Robinson. Steven Shingler and Aled Davies form a useful halfback pairing.

Hooker Ken Owens captains the side from the front row with the seemingly ageless Phil John and Peter Edwards either side of him. George Earle and Johan Snyman are in the second row with Lewis Rawlins, James Davies and Scottish international John Barclay making up the back row.

Normally at this time of the season Leinster are forced to name teams with a lot of inexperienced players and squad men to make up for the missing internationals. Yet throughout this Six Nations, Matt O’Connor has been able to name some very experienced sides with plenty of internationals which makes the lacklustre performances all the more galling. Once again O’Connor names a very strong looking team with twelve internationals starting and another five on the bench.

Cian Healy makes his first start for Leinster since September in a bid to force his way into Ireland’s starting line-up for another match in Wales in a week’s time. He’s joined by the rest of Ireland’s reserve front row Sean Cronin and Marty Moore. Mike McCarthy is also back from Ireland duty to partner Kane Douglas in the second row. Jack Conan was a late withdrawal from the side last week but he’s fit to start at eight this week so Rhys Ruddock skippers the team from his more usual position of blind side with Dominic Ryan switching to the open side. In the backs, the only changes are the return of Luke Fitzgerald and Eoin Reddan in place of Dave Kearney and Isaac Boss who drop to the bench.

With a team this strong Leinster have no excuses for not going over there and winning well.

If they don’t serious questions have to be asked of this coaching team’s ability to get the best out of the talent available.

Jim O’Connor©

LEINSTER:

15. Zane Kirchner
14. Fergus McFadden
13. Ben Te'o
12. Gordon D'Arcy
11. Luke Fitzgerald
10. Jimmy Gopperth
9. Eoin Reddan

REPLACEMENTS:

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Marty Moore
4. Mike McCarthy
5. Kane Douglas
6. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
7. Dominic Ryan
8. Jack Conan

REPLACEMENTS:

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Michael Bent
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Tom Denton
20. Josh van der Flier
21. Isaac Boss
22. Noel Reid
23. Dave Kearney

Not considered due to Injury: Edward Byrne, Kevin McLaughlin, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings

SCARLETS:

15 Jordan Williams
14 Harry Robinson
13 Regan King
12 Scott Williams
11 Hadleigh Parkes
10 Steven Shingler
9 Aled Davies

1 Phil John
2 Ken Owens ©
3 Peter Edwards
4 George Earle
5 Johan Snyman
6 Lewis Rawlins
7 James Davies
8 John Barclay

REPLACEMENTS:

16 Ryan Elias
17 Wyn Jones
18 Jacobie Adriaanse
19 Jack Payne
20 Rory Pitman
21 Gareth Davies
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Adam Warren

Not considered due to Injury: Connor Lloyd, Josh Lewis, Richard Kelly, Will Boyde, Emyr Phillips, Rhodri Jones, Kirby Myhill, Steff Evans, Steff Hughes, Aaron Shingler, Michael Tagicakibau, Phil Day, Frazier Climo

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 67th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Chris Williams (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)
TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

Why no Madigan, surely needs gametime?
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Not_Today wrote:Why no Madigan, surely needs gametime?
Wondering the same. If Sexton isn't right for the Welsh game, Keatley will surely play instead of Madigan? Even if that's in question, I'm with you on Mad Dog needing game time!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

meinster wrote:
Not_Today wrote:Why no Madigan, surely needs gametime?
Wondering the same. If Sexton isn't right for the Welsh game, Keatley will surely play instead of Madigan? Even if that's in question, I'm with you on Mad Dog needing game time!
if anything befalls Madigan and Sexton is a doubt then we have Keatley and Jackson trying to kick snow off a rope?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

simonokeeffe wrote:if anything befalls Madigan and Sexton is a doubt then we have Keatley and Jackson trying to kick snow off a rope?
Any debate about number 2 outhalf should mention which Keatley we're talking about. Today's one, or the good one!!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Based on today Keatley would be lucky to make the 23. But it looks like munster are going to get beaten so opportunity for us to make some ground.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

offshorerules wrote:Based on today Keatley would be lucky to make the 23.
Based on today, he shouldn't be near a Wolfhounds side! Joe might still back him, mind you.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Jaysus our away form is terrible.
P7
W2 (Zebre , Cardiff)
D2 (Ospreys, Treviso)
L3 (Munster, Connacht, Glasgow)

Suggests a win is beyond us this time.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

anyone got a link... i usually use firstrow... but seems to be down
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

alanair wrote:anyone got a link... i usually use firstrow... but seems to be down
http://cricfree.sx/sky-sports-1-live-stream
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

We finally execute a cross-field kick and even with Zane running a good support line, Ferg kicks it again!!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I hope not to curse at tv and keep it cool forc80 min
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Blue not red blood wrote:I hope not to curse at tv and keep it cool forc80 min
Ha!! I'll take some of that action if there's a bet going! :wink:
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Good start from Scarlets. They look like a well coached team.

I remember when we were a well coached team.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Get in Big Ben!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Now let's build on this lads
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

What did we just do there?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fine try for the Scarlets in fairness. 10-8