Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 31 Oct

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 31 Oct

Post by cormac »

Squad for this game could be "interesting" given the injuries and international squad selections.

Props: Bent, Furlong, Ed Byrne, Dooley
Hookers: Dundon, Bryan Byrne - Strauss might be released from Ireland squad as he needs game-time.
Locks: Douglas, Denton (injured?), Marshall, Thornbury
Back-row: Conan, Jennings (?), McLaughlin (?), vd Flier, Leavy - will be Jenno's 200th game for Leinster if he plays
Scrum-half: Boss, McGrath
Fly-half: Gopperth, Marsh
Centre: Reid, Macken, Te'o
Back 3: Fanning, Fitzgerald, Kirchner, Dave Kearney (?), Mick McGrath
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sontaran man
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 31 Oct

Post by sontaran man »

Nice to see a game with a bit of coherent structure and gamplan in this one.A game where we are in control on the pitch and the scoreboard for a change.
leinster rugby .............The Lion goes from strength to strength
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Kirchner hasn't been included in the Bok squad.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Reddan might be released because he was on the bench last week and will likely be on bench for Ireland too. Strauss will definitely be released from Ireland camp - he's third choice hooker for Ireland and desperately needs gametime.

Mike Mac will be released too - he'll be on the bench at best for Ireland even with the injury crisis (but probably behind Dave Foley and therefore 4th choice), and was on the bench last week against Castres so he's fresh enough. Dom Ryan will also probably be released as the 4 Irish backrows in the matchday squad are likely to be POM, Heaslip, Henry and Ruddock/O'Donnell. D.Ryan probably won't be in the matchday squad against the Saffers.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

AFAIK they shipped a lot of injuries at the weekend, in particular the Scottish captain gilchrist. Good chance to field a few youngsters
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

neiliog93 wrote:Reddan might be released because he was on the bench last week and will likely be on bench for Ireland too. Strauss will definitely be released from Ireland camp - he's third choice hooker for Ireland and desperately needs gametime.

Mike Mac will be released too - he'll be on the bench at best for Ireland even with the injury crisis (but probably behind Dave Foley and therefore 4th choice), and was on the bench last week against Castres so he's fresh enough. Dom Ryan will also probably be released as the 4 Irish backrows in the matchday squad are likely to be POM, Heaslip, Henry and Ruddock/O'Donnell. D.Ryan probably won't be in the matchday squad against the Saffers.
Any source for these releases? Personally I am not expecting anyone to be released from Joe camp
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:Reddan might be released because he was on the bench last week and will likely be on bench for Ireland too. Strauss will definitely be released from Ireland camp - he's third choice hooker for Ireland and desperately needs gametime.

Wouldn't share your confidence about player release, don't recall players being released back to us last year for the equivalent game away to the Dragons. I think it would be to Strauss' benefit for him to play on Friday as he's only got 86 minutes on the pitch so far this season, but I wouldn't be confident about him being available.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm an eternal optimist. Generally if someone isn't going to be in the matchday 23 and/or needs gametime, there's a good chance that they'll be released for their province.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

From BBC
Meanwhile, Edinburgh lock Grant Gilchrist, who was set to skipper Scotland in the autumn Tests, will have surgery later this week on the broken arm he suffered during his team's win over Lyon last Friday.
Flanker Hamish Watson has had surgery on a fractured jaw while fellow back row Roddy Grant will undergo surgery on Monday to correct a fractured bone in his cheek.
...He also believes Phil Burleigh has "grade two or three medial ligament damage", predicting lay-offs of between "six to 12 weeks" for those badly injured.
Sam Beard had to go off with a head knock, while Edinburgh lost Scotland duo Alasdair Dickinson and Dougie Fife to unspecified injuries prior to the game.

Missing to Scotland Squad
Dickinson, Ford, Fife, heathcote, Visser
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

perfect game for luke mcgrath to start
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

goreyguy wrote:perfect game for luke mcgrath to start

Edinburgh are utterly useless. Good game for young players.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Sounds like they are in an injury crisis, Scotland only have two teams to select from too. Should be a five pointer
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

only downer is theyre missing way fewer players than we are, we should have enough in the backline for it though
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:I'm an eternal optimist. Generally if someone isn't going to be in the matchday 23 and/or needs gametime, there's a good chance that they'll be released for their province.
There's an Ireland open training session on Friday I believe and they're all only going into camp this week. I'd be surprised to see players being released tbh. Still, something like this isn't that bad, even if I'd switch the scrum-halves:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

09. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitz
12. Reid
13. Te'o
14. Fanning
15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
21. L McGrath
22. Crosbie/Marsh
23. M McGrath
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

simonokeeffe wrote:From BBC
Meanwhile, Edinburgh lock Grant Gilchrist, who was set to skipper Scotland in the autumn Tests, will have surgery later this week on the broken arm he suffered during his team's win over Lyon last Friday.
Flanker Hamish Watson has had surgery on a fractured jaw while fellow back row Roddy Grant will undergo surgery on Monday to correct a fractured bone in his cheek.
...He also believes Phil Burleigh has "grade two or three medial ligament damage", predicting lay-offs of between "six to 12 weeks" for those badly injured.
Sam Beard had to go off with a head knock, while Edinburgh lost Scotland duo Alasdair Dickinson and Dougie Fife to unspecified injuries prior to the game.

Missing to Scotland Squad
Dickinson, Ford, Fife, heathcote, Visser
Crikey.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:Still, something like this isn't that bad:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
I know it's Halloween but seeing that pack line-up would terrify me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
You an Edinburgh fan? :wink:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

molloyjh wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I'm an eternal optimist. Generally if someone isn't going to be in the matchday 23 and/or needs gametime, there's a good chance that they'll be released for their province.
There's an Ireland open training session on Friday I believe and they're all only going into camp this week. I'd be surprised to see players being released tbh. Still, something like this isn't that bad, even if I'd switch the scrum-halves:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

09. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitz
12. Reid
13. Te'o
14. Fanning
15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
21. L McGrath
22. Crosbie/Marsh
23. M McGrath
Macken should be in the mix too?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
Yeah the pack isn't great, but the Byrne twins looked good in the few senior appearances they've had this season. Bent will do a job. The second row is decent enough, even if Douglas hasn't impressed me to any huge degree so far. The back row is pretty green but there's lots of potential there. I'd say they'd get us past a weakened Edinburgh side. The bench is an issue though. I forgot about Furlong mind you so I'd say he'd be in there instead of Heffernan.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Fred Funk wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

01. E Byrne
02. B Byrne
03. Bent
04. Denton
05. Douglas
06. Leavy
07. VDF
08. Conan

09. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitz
12. Reid
13. Te'o
14. Fanning
15. Kirchner

16. Dundon
17. Dooley
18. Heffernan
19. Marshall
20. Coughlan
21. L McGrath
22. Crosbie/Marsh
23. M McGrath
Macken should be in the mix too?
Macken was the only fit back not selected for the Wasps game. Even a not fully fit Luke, who was never going to feature, got selected ahead of him. MOC simply isn't a fan and I don't see him getting much, if any, game time for the rest of the season. He's going to need to move on if he wants a future in the game.