Game 1: Leinster away to Glasgow [06/09/14] Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Game 1: Leinster away to Glasgow [06/09/14] Sky Sports

Post by Keith »

Can anyone let us know more about this Mick McGrath lad? Is he a good prospect?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Tarf winger with a great beard apparently. Very highly rated.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Keith wrote:Can anyone let us know more about this Mick McGrath lad? Is he a good prospect?
What would you like to know? He is a very good finisher, 5'11 and stocky. He is quite fast and has good acceleration, he probably needs to work on his defensive game but he shows a lot of potential. Also he has an excellent beard.

He used to be involved with Leinster underage teams, he went to CUS and I believe he has played for the A team at some stage. He started for the Ireland Club team last year and was the top try scorer in the AIl last year for Clontarf. I'd consider him a good prospect, it appears he has replaced Andrew Boyle who didn't get a contract coming out of the academy last year.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He looks fairly canny and has a decent bit of size too. He looks like a guy who really knows his way to the tryline. Whether his particular brand of magic will work consistently at the higher level I don't know.

My guess is he won't be out of place at Pro12 ordinary level (as opposed to knockouts etc.) but that he is well worth a chance either way. Who knows he could step up in a big way.

Edit: GG covered it while I was typing that. Multitasking
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

New season lads and a cracking game in prospect on Saturday evening. Very strong Glasgow team with quite a bench. I'm anticipating a Glasgow win by 7 points to put an opening marker down for the season ahead. Happy viewing. :D
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I've worked it out that there is a 37.5% probability that when MOC makes a substitution, it will be for McGrath.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

From watching mcgrath in action against Northampton I'm v pleased he is in the squad. Linked up v well with kelleher that day so looking forward to seeing him get some minutes in second half. Very quick, goes looking for the ball and knows where the try line is. Someone we haven't had coming through for a few years.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

goreyguy wrote:
Keith wrote:Can anyone let us know more about this Mick McGrath lad? Is he a good prospect?
What would you like to know? He is a very good finisher, 5'11 and stocky. He is quite fast and has good acceleration, he probably needs to work on his defensive game but he shows a lot of potential. Also he has an excellent beard.

He used to be involved with Leinster underage teams, he went to CUS and I believe he has played for the A team at some stage. He started for the Ireland Club team last year and was the top try scorer in the AIl last year for Clontarf. I'd consider him a good prospect, it appears he has replaced Andrew Boyle who didn't get a contract coming out of the academy last year.
Thanks, look forward to seeing him play and... ye that beard is amazing.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Didn't realize Nakarawa played lock too.
He has always played in the 2nd row iirc. You sure you're not getting our two Fijians mixed up?

Glasgow are missing some key players through injury and for me no Cusiter at 9 is a massive loss.

Leinster look strong. Hope it's a good game.
Yeah he was always a lock til they experimented with him in backrow towards end of last season

Cusiter is at Sale now, Russell at 10 probably biggest player theyre missing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

That was only a baby beard, by Ulster friendly it had devoloped into something of D'Arcy 6 nations standard. Looked like a big, strong, fast winger hope he has a good future.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

We might be getting a bit McGrath top heavy. Three of them on the bench must contravene some IRFU rule somewhere.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We've a very limited set of options for the lineout. Hopefully, we'll have quite a few variations worked out. Delighted to see Marshall get a start and hopefully Reid will continue to improve as he did last season. This time last year I would have said he was simply too much of a liability to be in the first choice squad but I was really impressed by how much his all round game developed.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Agree on Reid. Always had the ability for me just thought he was too lightweight for a 12 but by all accounts he has bulked up over the summer and got quicker which is weird as usually u would lose a bit of speed if u add muscle. Looking forward to him with Macken. Hope he brings out more in him as Macken hasn't kicked on at all so maybe playing with Reid will give him more confidence as they combine well for the A team.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Fireworks wrote:We might be getting a bit McGrath top heavy. Three of them on the bench must contravene some IRFU rule somewhere.

It's part of the IRFU's crowd chanting initiative. They've decided that if it is 50/50 call between a player they'll go with the player with the more chant friendly name, and as you know McGrath is one of the chant friendliest surnames out there
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

All have one syllable first names too. Which helps. Have you ever tried ooh aah Aloysious McGrath?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Fireworks wrote:We might be getting a bit McGrath top heavy. Three of them on the bench must contravene some IRFU rule somewhere.
Four Byrne's in the academy...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Byrne baby Byrne!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

goreyguy wrote:
Four Byrne's in the academy...
And McGrath to McGrath to Byrne to Byrne to McGrath to...... Should at least make it a bit easier for commentators.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is there delayed coverage of this? Wedding shortly.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:Is there delayed coverage of this? Wedding shortly.
Repeated at 3.30am
I have Bumbleflex