Rabo pro 12 final 2014

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rabo pro 12 final 2014

Post by Morf »

craigchalmers wrote:hat said though, I'm getting sick of losing in Dublin, isn't it about time you let us show you our hospitality?

Look forward to seeing you guys again next season, though hope to god we avoid you in the knockout stages this time... (But sadly I fully expect to draw you in the European Cup again)
I'd be happy to make it 3 in a row in Glasgow next May!

Echo the others in that the Warriors fans were great! Added hugely to occasion!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Speaking of Toner, it was hilarious watching him (and others) trying to stop Nakawara's offloads. It really did turn into basketball at times!
Just rewatching the tries for the finer details of how they came to be and Madigan does superbly for the 3rd try by attacking the ball and ripping it from Nakawara in contact. Don't get many outhalves stripping a lock of the ball!

Aside from that, RK was excellent for the first try. He saw the outside defender shoot up on D'Arcy to try and cut off the overlap but delayed for a second to attack the dog leg and skipped out to ZK for the simple finish.

ZK himself was excellent for D'Arcy's try. I know I've said it before but I'd like him to be looked at once, at least, for the 13 jersey. It was classic outside centre play. He attacked the line, got outside his man which forced the last defender to make a decision and come in before releasing D'Arcy for a handy try.

Kirchner's first try was just simple, effective running and moving the ball. Good hand off from him on a prop and awareness. He was looking to draw the last defender and put someone away from the moment he broke through. Great half break from D'Arcy a phase before though that really generated the whole position and momentum.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Stats are in. Ruddock top tackler with 14/2. Toner second but missed 5 (13/5). Cronin probably has the "cleanest" stats. 59m with ball in hand. 11/0 for tackles. A clean break, couple of defenders beaten, no pens conceded. RK also very strong from that perspective.

Johnny Gray made 20 tackles and carried for 36m. He's primed to be even better than his brother. He's very similar at the same age. Hopefully his form doesn't dip as badly.
BoscoBoy
Beginner

Post by BoscoBoy »

Fantastic atmosphere yesterday and a great day all round. I think it showed how much a travelling support adds to the overall atmosphere. I know there was a thread on here after the Ulster game asking if our support could do more on match days - but I think it's fair to say the home support must be a huge factor in our home form all year.

Well done all and hard luck to Glasgow. Met a few of them in town after and they were great craic, despite the result.

As an aside: Had a pain in my arse during the first half listening to a woman constantly complain about people drinking cans on the terrace. Not quite sure what her problem was. Didn't get to the off-licence myself so was raging jealous to have to pay full whack.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Good to see those who've joined recently and those who weren't involved in the HEC glories picking up the winning habit. With the likes of Drico and Leo moving on it's vital that the mentality they helped develop within the squad over the last 7-8 years continues to be handed down to the next generation. Whatever about the debate about the quality of rugby we've played this season I would hate to see us return to being the soft touch we were at times in the not too distant past.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

There was one moment in the second half that really highlighted the power of Ruddock. We made a balls of a line out move. They didn't engage us and it seemed we didn't set up a maul. Everyone froze and two or three defenders then pounced on Ruddock to hold him up. He shrugged them off, tore himself free and made a few metres before getting to ground and recycling. He had no right to be able to make that play.
DJP-Glasgow

Post by DJP-Glasgow »

Hi Gents,

Warriors fan here. I just wanted to congratulate you on your victory; very well deserved!

I also wanted to say a massive thank you to all the Leinster fans I met throughout the day in Dublin. Support both inside and outside the ground was fantastic. You were all incredibly friendly, helpful and just downright good guys (and girls). I was also delighted to hear that you took us seriously as a team (unlike many of the Munster fans last week (who called us a joke, poor, and just generally stated that we only won because they were poor), and despite our disappointing performance your comments were entirely complimentary, of both our team and of our travelling support.

I was obviously gutted we lost, but if we were to lose to anyone I'm glad it was you guys - you're a credit to rugby, both on the pitch, and in the exemplary behaviour of you supporters who epitomise everything I love about rugby. I just hope we reverse the result next year.

It was a great day, and I wholeheartedly look forward to our clashes next year and into the future.
Good luck next season, and thanks again for one of my best ever rugby days.

JP.
DJP-Glasgow

Post by DJP-Glasgow »

Hi Gents,

Warriors fan here. I just wanted to congratulate you on your victory; very well deserved!

I also wanted to say a massive thank you to all the Leinster fans I met throughout the day in Dublin. Support both inside and outside the ground was fantastic. You were all incredibly friendly, helpful and just downright good guys (and girls). I was also delighted to hear that you took us seriously as a team (unlike many of the Munster fans last week (who called us a joke, poor, and just generally stated that we only won because they were poor), and despite our disappointing performance your comments were entirely complimentary, of both our team and of our travelling support.

I was obviously gutted we lost, but if we were to lose to anyone I'm glad it was you guys - you're a credit to rugby, both on the pitch, and in the exemplary behaviour of you supporters who epitomise everything I love about rugby. I just hope we reverse the result next year.

It was a great day, and I wholeheartedly look forward to our clashes next year and into the future.

JP.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:Stats are in. Ruddock top tackler with 14/2. Toner second but missed 5 (13/5). Cronin probably has the "cleanest" stats. 59m with ball in hand. 11/0 for tackles. A clean break, couple of defenders beaten, no pens conceded. RK also very strong from that perspective.

Johnny Gray made 20 tackles and carried for 36m. He's primed to be even better than his brother. He's very similar at the same age. Hopefully his form doesn't dip as badly.
if Scotland could find a front row and some half backs theyd have some team for years to come
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

cormac wrote:Good to see those who've joined recently and those who weren't involved in the HEC glories picking up the winning habit. With the likes of Drico and Leo moving on it's vital that the mentality they helped develop within the squad over the last 7-8 years continues to be handed down to the next generation. Whatever about the debate about the quality of rugby we've played this season I would hate to see us return to being the soft touch we were at times in the not too distant past.
Yep 2 more from the 09 HEC win out the door. Probably 2 more(D'arcy, Jennings) by the end of next season/RWC. Reddan Boss and Ross will be in the same boat so by next season we'll be very different again from the '11 side.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

DJP-Glasgow wrote:Hi Gents,

JP.
Appreciate you taking the time to post, JP. I think there are very few places around Europe where you don't get a great reception from the local rugby fans, so it's good to know we're not one of the exceptions!

The result was skewed a bit by the three early subs Glasgow had to make. You didn't then have the impact off the bench when legs got tired and we were able to exploit that. I do think we were the better side over the 80, but not by as much as the scoreboard says. Johnny Gray would have been MOTM in a lot of neutral people's eyes and there's a lot of talent and discipline in that side of yours. I would be trying to accommodate Matawalu in the starting lineup, for all of his "challenges", but that's just me. I thought Fusaro struggled even before he came off and the Harlem Globetrotter you brought on was good in broken play but not so hot at the breakdown.

A win for Glasgaow would have been great for the Pro12 and I would have been happy for you all up there, but I'm not exactly sorry the result ended up the way it did. Rugby teams around Europe are beginning to see enough examples of the positive benefit of top-class coaching on league position to maybe put the brakes on the headlong rush to sign the next big thing from the SH, or next 20 big things if you're Toulon. Schmidt, Townsend, Galthie, Mallinder... there is a growing group of excellent technical coaches who are squeezing the best out of the talent pool available to them. Good signs for Glasgow.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

congrats on the win, you were deserved winners and are still the side to beat in this league
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

JB1973 wrote:congrats on the win, you were deserved winners and are still the side to beat in this league
Reckon we will see a more serious challenge from the Welsh next season JB? Has been a bit if a write off of a season over there mostly due to off the pitch nonsense and Lions IMO.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

JP.
Thanks for the post. 2002 Celtic League aside, we bombed in several of our first 'big matches' - 2003 H Cup semi, 2005 H Cup 1/4, 2006 H Cup semi...etc, etc. Glasgow will learn from the experience and come back better.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

JP.
The Warrior fans were a credit to your club JP. The talk was of about 3,000 of you but it felt like a lot more in the ground from where I was sitting in the north stand. Had a great laugh in Cullens beforehand with a bunch of Scots as Farrell pulled a hammer while celebrating a try which was then disallowed for a forward pass. Ah the Schadenfreude was 90.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neiliog93 wrote:

JP.
Thanks for the post. 2002 Celtic League aside, we bombed in several of our first 'big matches' - 2003 H Cup semi, 2005 H Cup 1/4, 2006 H Cup semi...etc, etc. Glasgow will learn from the experience and come back better.
Most Munster fans aren't that bad, but that's a pretty ignorant attitude and a shame you and other fans around you had to put up with it. Negative fan attitudes like that affect a team and drag it down. But then this is a club that just forced out another good foreign manager, this time to hand the job to a highly popular former player. They've recently had to have a press conference to announce that they're going to take the Celtic League seriously. Those fans were making excuses, you were there by right. Next time you might well beat us.

Every team goes through disappointment at the final hurdle before coming good. Munster lost Heineken Cup finals, Leinster have had similar big losses, Toulon and Clermont had to work through near misses. Ireland losing to France in in the last minute in 2007 was what set them up for success in 2009.

Glasgow are a well run team, stay well run and you'll come back stronger.

I was much more worried about playing you guys than I would have been against Munster and you could see from the Leinster players afterwards in interviews how hard it had been for them. Jamie Heaslip was so tired he was affected during the interview catching his breath (by his standards) and admitted how much effort they had had to put in.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

TerenureJim wrote:
JB1973 wrote:congrats on the win, you were deserved winners and are still the side to beat in this league
Reckon we will see a more serious challenge from the Welsh next season JB? Has been a bit if a write off of a season over there mostly due to off the pitch nonsense and Lions IMO.

The blues should improve, the scarlets are pretty much the same bar losing davies and turnbull we look like we will regress and the drags are still miles behind.

I can see the scarlets having a chance of making the play offs but I don't think any of us will make the final or the ko stages of Europe.

I'd expect the top 4 to be the same as this year :(
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

The blues should improve, the scarlets are pretty much the same bar losing davies and turnbull we look like we will regress and the drags are still miles behind.

I can see the scarlets having a chance of making the play offs but I don't think any of us will make the final or the ko stages of Europe.

I'd expect the top 4 to be the same as this year :(
Ulster could be there for the taking with the (key) players theyve lost
Blues is an interesting one as theyve lost lots of important players but signed a lot of people, think theyll suffer without Halfpenny's kicking, Jenkins and Rees being fit are huge for them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

ceemec wrote:There was one moment in the second half that really highlighted the power of Ruddock. We made a balls of a line out move. They didn't engage us and it seemed we didn't set up a maul. Everyone froze and two or three defenders then pounced on Ruddock to hold him up. He shrugged them off, tore himself free and made a few metres before getting to ground and recycling. He had no right to be able to make that play.
I was thinking that. Also on the other side of the pitch he did the same to them, didn't engage and got through the maul to the ball and stripped it like candy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!