Play-offs to Aviva?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Play-offs to Aviva?

Post by Morf »

jimbobjoe wrote:I don't think it can be moved to the Aviva. AFAIK the final has to be played in the designated home ground of the highest seeded team. The final can only be moved if the capacity of that stadium is too small (which is 18,000 I think).
That might be the case but it would seem counter-intuitive if the league actually wants to grow it's marketability and the appetite for tickets there is significantly more than can be offered.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Morf wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:I don't think it can be moved to the Aviva. AFAIK the final has to be played in the designated home ground of the highest seeded team. The final can only be moved if the capacity of that stadium is too small (which is 18,000 I think).
That might be the case but it would seem counter-intuitive if the league actually wants to grow it's marketability and the appetite for tickets there is significantly more than can be offered.
Completely agree. I found it odd that they made this a rule when the playoffs were re-introduced. It could be in place because not all teams have the benefit of having a large stadium on their doorstep.
RnR
Knowledgeable

Post by RnR »

neiliog93 wrote:We're tougher to beat in the RDS so on that basis I'd be reluctant to move it.
Move it to the stadium where we lost two pivotal HEC games?
This season to Northampton and last to Clermont.

There's more atmosphere in a dentists waiting room than there is at Leinsters games in Lansdowne/Aviva
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

we get to bring in the extra seats especially the lower ones in West Stand where people cant see anything with everyone walking past :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Have to say I'd hate to see it moved unless there was a chance STHs couldn't be accommodated in the RDS.

I love Lansdowne Road but the RDS is our home and if we make the final I'd much prefer to say goodbye to BOD and Leo there.

Also, the players entrance in Lansdowne is under the stadium so there's no chance of the kids waiting around for one final autograph or for the boots/shorts/socks giveaway that always seems to happen on final day.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

If we sell out the RDS for a semi final then there might be a point discussing this...
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Doc wrote:If we sell out the RDS for a semi final then there might be a point discussing this...
have we ever sold out a league semi final?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:
The Doc wrote:If we sell out the RDS for a semi final then there might be a point discussing this...
v Munster in 2010
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
v Munster in 2010

Nope. Ground capacity had been expanded to 22k for the quarter final against ASM and the extra capacity was still in place. People just aren't interested in the Pro12 semis.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

just isnt the time to market them/people dont have the cash/credit

think some people dont know/dont bother if theyre not covered by season tickets; renewal can be a bit on top of semi/final tickets moneywise
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:just isnt the time to market them/people dont have the cash/credit

think some people dont know/dont bother if theyre not covered by season tickets; renewal can be a bit on top of semi/final tickets moneywise
This would be the big thing yeah, the expectation that there would be a final with Leinster in it too.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: Nope. Ground capacity had been expanded to 22k for the quarter final against ASM and the extra capacity was still in place. People just aren't interested in the Pro12 semis.
It's pretty strange alright. Maybe it's because we've won all our semi-finals in the competition to date [four in a row] and people assume that we're going to make the final?

It's still pretty odd that there's so little uptake, because it's two strong teams going head-to-head in a knock-out game. You'd think that that'd get people excited. Not to be pessimistic, but there's a pretty reasonable chance that it could be our last game of the season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've always found it fascinating why we don't fill the RDS for semis.
Think that might change this year though if we get a Munster or Ulster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Every other year we have had a European Semi and final. (bar the first year when we only had a semi but it was an expensive away one) Let's see what happens this year.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:Every other year we have had a European Semi and final. (bar the first year when we only had a semi but it was an expensive away one) Let's see what happens this year.
Heh heh heh.

Yeah think that might be it alright, but last year was a home semi and there wasn't nearly a full house against Glasgee in the RDS on a beautiful evening.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The issue, or one of them anyway, I believe is that the Aviva costs a lot of money to hire and therein lies the problem. With the semi-final and final played so close together the Aviva can only be booked at relatively short notice. This in itself is not a huge issue however there then remains a short time period to market and sell tickets. These sales obviously are required to offset the costs of hiring the stadium. So while it is probably fair to say that a Leinster Munster final would possibly sell out or come close to selling out the Aviva despite the timing I don't think the same assumption could be made for any other pairing. Therefore the potential for financial loss is too great to consider planning for the final anywhere other than the RDS for Leinster.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Xanthippe wrote:Have to say I'd hate to see it moved unless there was a chance STHs couldn't be accommodated in the RDS.

I love Lansdowne Road but the RDS is our home and if we make the final I'd much prefer to say goodbye to BOD and Leo there.

Also, the players entrance in Lansdowne is under the stadium so there's no chance of the kids waiting around for one final autograph or for the boots/shorts/socks giveaway that always seems to happen on final day.
Could not agree more
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Does anyone think we're more likely to win in the Aviva than the RDS? If not, is there any appeal other than money? For me the move would be more or less taking a chance with the game to earn some cash. I know there's all the stuff about "good for the league" etc, but that's not going to be much comfort to us if we lose - "oh well, BOD's last game was a loss in a Pro12 semi, but at least the league as a whole benefited from a larger stadium..."
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

sid wrote:Does anyone think we're more likely to win in the Aviva than the RDS? If not, is there any appeal other than money? For me the move would be more or less taking a chance with the game to earn some cash. I know there's all the stuff about "good for the league" etc, but that's not going to be much comfort to us if we lose - "oh well, BOD's last game was a loss in a Pro12 semi, but at least the league as a whole benefited from a larger stadium..."
Where does the cash go though?

Big name NIQs and grass roots development and umm possible a South Dublin native currently in a European style capital . . . .
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Morf wrote:
sid wrote:Does anyone think we're more likely to win in the Aviva than the RDS? If not, is there any appeal other than money? For me the move would be more or less taking a chance with the game to earn some cash. I know there's all the stuff about "good for the league" etc, but that's not going to be much comfort to us if we lose - "oh well, BOD's last game was a loss in a Pro12 semi, but at least the league as a whole benefited from a larger stadium..."
Where does the cash go though?

Big name NIQs and grass roots development and umm possible a South Dublin native currently in a European style capital . . . .
Lets face it. We all know all that extra cash we generate from the Aviva games goes towards paying off TP and keeting Muzzer open!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!