Play-offs to Aviva?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Play-offs to Aviva?

Post by [Jackass] »

Do you reckon there's much chance of this?

Looks like there will be three Irish teams in the play-offs this season and if I was to gamble, I'd say Glasgow will get second spot which means we will (hopefully) get a home semi against either Ulster or Munster. This wont be confirmed until the final day of the season unfortunately, so there will only be a week lead in to a potential home semi if we secure it, so perhaps not long enough to sell out Lansdowne (or would it be? Especially if it's Ulster or a Munster team out of Europe, this becomes focus of all the fans), but in terms of a final, if we got there and it was to be at home, for the first time in 3 years we would have no European final to contend with, so a 2 week lead in should be ample time to sell out Lansdowne for a final, especially if it's against an Irish province, I'd love to see the Pro12 final being given the stage it deserves, similar to the AP finishing in Twickenham.

I really hope we make it to a home final and host it in Lansdowne for the big event it is.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Re: Play-offs to Aviva?

Post by Blue not red blood »

No financial benefits to us as League gets tbe gate.
A final would sell out as it would be BoD and Leo's last game.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

I think that they will sell it out no matter where it is. I do agree with JA tho, it would be fitting and fantastic if it was two Irish provinces at the Aviva. Bring it on !
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

[Jackass] wrote:Do you reckon there's much chance of this?

Looks like there will be three Irish teams in the play-offs this season and if I was to gamble, I'd say Glasgow will get second spot which means we will (hopefully) get a home semi against either Ulster or Munster. This wont be confirmed until the final day of the season unfortunately, so there will only be a week lead in to a potential home semi if we secure it, so perhaps not long enough to sell out Lansdowne (or would it be? Especially if it's Ulster or a Munster team out of Europe, this becomes focus of all the fans), but in terms of a final, if we got there and it was to be at home, for the first time in 3 years we would have no European final to contend with, so a 2 week lead in should be ample time to sell out Lansdowne for a final, especially if it's against an Irish province, I'd love to see the Pro12 final being given the stage it deserves, similar to the AP finishing in Twickenham.

I really hope we make it to a home final and host it in Lansdowne for the big event it is.
No chance of the semi-final being moved. Could be as little as a six-day turnaround and we've struggled to sell out the RDS for home semi-finals (only the game v Munster in 2010 sold out). Final could be moved, but would be a tough sell if it's Glasgow.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I understand the idea of growing the brand, giving the final an increased status by playing it in the Aviva (if we got there), more fans would be able to go etc but I've always enjoyed the aspect of the highest seeded team hosting the final. There should be some tangible award for topping the league and since we started the play off system the team who've topped the league have always won their Semi Final. In the Premiership and Top 14 there is no difference between coming first or second and I don't think that's right.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Home ground advantage (and this means RDS) is probably worth 6-9 points. At this stage there is no chance of even considering moving it as it would take at least three weeks with the very best conditions, to sell-out Aviva
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We're tougher to beat in the RDS so on that basis I'd be reluctant to move it.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I suppose it's difficult to judge the appeal and how people will respond, given a two week turnaround for a game in the Aviva, I think tickets for the game against Munster went on sale about 3 weeks before the fixture and were sold out with the guts of a week to spare.

I think there's added appeal that if we made the final there would be a trophy on the line and no travelling to be done the week before to a HEC final (our semi finals have been poorly attended, but it usually has been just after a semi final day out, sometimes abroad, and a final to fork out for too, and people will always opt for the European and / or silverware games).

I think it would be definitely worth a shot though if we got a home final, even against Glasgow (although ideally an Irish province) just to see if that game can attract sufficient crowds.

There's a massive bandwagon in Ulster at the moment, more than in Leinster or Munster, I'd say they'd bring 20-25,000 fans if they got half the tickets. They managed 10,000 at the RDS (including boosted capacity) without any problems and I'd say over 30,000 for a semi versus Edinburgh in Aviva. They're so desperate to end their long wait for silverware that this would be as big as any game for them.

Regarding home advantage, I consider Aviva a home stadium for Leinster. We've played there a dozen times or so over the last few years. I don't think we'd be at a disadvantage compared to playing at the RDS. Our record at the RDS isn't sufficiently more stellar than Aviva. We've lost two finals there already, as well as some Heineken Cup games, notably to the likes of London Irish. We've only lost twice in the Aviva, the Northampton game being a bit of a smash and grab.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

You make a good point Jackass but for me the atmosphere at the Aviva has often been poor in my experience. The RDS feels and sounds a lot more like home to me.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Can't see it happening - won't have enough time to sell it out.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

sheepshagger wrote:Can't see it happening - won't have enough time to sell it out.
Being pragmatic it should go to Aviva if it makes money for the union and has a secondary effect of making tickets readily available.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Morf wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Can't see it happening - won't have enough time to sell it out.
Being pragmatic it should go to Aviva if it makes money for the union and has a secondary effect of making tickets readily available.
Jesus Morf, you're all about the money these days!
Last edited by Peg Leg on April 20th, 2014, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I don't know what the cash split would be, but presumably if it was two Irish provinces (even without Leinster) it would be tempting for the IRFU to nudge towards the Aviva. Whatever share the Pro12 take is probably a good chunk going towards the stadium rental, plus shared gate receipts to the two participants, an all Irish final in the Aviva would see the Lions share going into IRFU coffers.

Peg Leg, it's all about the benjamins now, we need sexy pants back and to hold on to Ciano and the likes!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Peg Leg wrote:
Morf wrote:
Jesus Morf, you're all about the money these days!
I dressed down a bit today . . .

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Won't happen... Every year this comes up. Won't happen

First... Too short a timeframe to switch.

Second... Anyone remember the sold out final against Ulster in the RDS last year. No? And this year we will sell out the Aviva in 1 week?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

The Doc wrote:Second... Anyone remember the sold out final against Ulster in the RDS last year. No? And this year we will sell out the Aviva in 1 week?
Yes, couldn't get a ticket.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

The Doc wrote:Won't happen... Every year this comes up. Won't happen

Second... Anyone remember the sold out final against Ulster in the RDS last year. No? And this year we will sell out the Aviva in 1 week?
I'm not demanding it. I'm saying weight it up.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Morf wrote:
The Doc wrote:Won't happen... Every year this comes up. Won't happen

I'm not demanding it. I'm saying weight it up.
No objection to considering it. We would have 2 weeks to sell it (If we are good enough to win a semi) No distraction of a HC semi or Final etc.

Probably won't happen, but they should look at it at least and weigh up the financials etc. Sell out the lower tire of LR should be no problem.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Morf wrote:
The Doc wrote:Second... Anyone remember the sold out final against Ulster in the RDS last year. No? And this year we will sell out the Aviva in 1 week?
Yes, couldn't get a ticket.
And I couldn't get rid of one
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I don't think it can be moved to the Aviva. AFAIK the final has to be played in the designated home ground of the highest seeded team. The final can only be moved if the capacity of that stadium is too small (which is 18,000 I think).