A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Play-offs to Aviva?

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:
Morf wrote:
sid wrote:Does anyone think we're more likely to win in the Aviva than the RDS? If not, is there any appeal other than money? For me the move would be more or less taking a chance with the game to earn some cash. I know there's all the stuff about "good for the league" etc, but that's not going to be much comfort to us if we lose - "oh well, BOD's last game was a loss in a Pro12 semi, but at least the league as a whole benefited from a larger stadium..."
Where does the cash go though?

Big name NIQs and grass roots development and umm possible a South Dublin native currently in a European style capital . . . .
Lets face it. We all know all that extra cash we generate from the Aviva games goes towards paying off TP and keeting Muzzer open!
Keeting Muzzer open? Is that Limerick slang for one of Earlsie's special interests?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

blockhead wrote:
Morf wrote:
sid wrote:Does anyone think we're more likely to win in the Aviva than the RDS? If not, is there any appeal other than money? For me the move would be more or less taking a chance with the game to earn some cash. I know there's all the stuff about "good for the league" etc, but that's not going to be much comfort to us if we lose - "oh well, BOD's last game was a loss in a Pro12 semi, but at least the league as a whole benefited from a larger stadium..."
Where does the cash go though?

Big name NIQs and grass roots development and umm possible a South Dublin native currently in a European style capital . . . .
Lets face it. We all know all that extra cash we generate from the Aviva games goes towards paying off TP and keeting Muzzer open!
One way or another, both those things will happen. Better to have more than less.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

We've lost two RDS Home finals being in Dublin is the advantage not the stadium, the stadium doesn't really matter as 99% of our players are well used to Lansdwone. I think we should be looking to move as many games as possible to as big a venue as it gives more people the opportunity to attend a game, especially a knock out game, potentially a final, potentially Leo & Drico's last games as professional rugby players.

There are some who maintain that Lansdowne has no atmosphere but there have been plenty of games there where there was a cracking atmosphere, we've only been at the RDS a few years, yeah it's home now but it wasnt always and I don't see why we shouldn't be looking to move our only chance at silverware this season to a bigger stadium as an event/marquee game.

If you really want atmosphere, full crowd of hard core fans, intimate venue etc why don't we move back to Donnybrook.

Fans might have season ticket renewals going on but there's no need to save for a HEC/Amlin semi or final this year so that disposable money is potentially there to be spent on Pro 12 playoffs. 2007/2008 is the last season we didn't have some form of Euro silverware on the line (through a semi or final) with the expense for fans of travel/tickets etc I don't see why Leinster Rugby shouldn't push/promote the league playoffs in their place and maximise the revenue potential there.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

as can be seen from earlier in this thread - its a perennial topic...

already this year we have had a January visit to Lansdowne Rd; a Lansdowne Rd fixture now awaits on 1st April against Ulster... win that and we might anticipate the Quarter Finals against Edinburgh/Leicester the following weekend, which would be more likely to be in the RDS, then if we win against Edinburgh/Leicester, Lansdowne Road could be beckoning for the Semi Finals (W/E 28/29/30 April); we know where the final will be held...

...in the URC our matches on 15th and 22nd April are in South Africa; the URC Quarter Finals (MAY 5/6/7) coincide with Mr Bruce Springsteen & his E Street Band being in residence in the Dublin RDS Arena...so given our position at the top of the table (& if we keep up the win rate) I suspect contingency plans are already being prepared for use of Lansdowne Road that weekend ...

We, the supporters, need to focus on ways to create/ensure the best atmosphere in support of the team @Lansdowne Rd, as it will potentially be coming to the forefront this season...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

brotheroffrank wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:46 pm as can be seen from earlier in this thread - its a perennial topic...

already this year we have had a January visit to Lansdowne Rd; a Lansdowne Rd fixture now awaits on 1st April against Ulster... win that and we might anticipate the Quarter Finals against Edinburgh/Leicester the following weekend, which would be more likely to be in the RDS, then if we win against Edinburgh/Leicester, Lansdowne Road could be beckoning for the Semi Finals (W/E 28/29/30 April); we know where the final will be held...

...in the URC our matches on 15th and 22nd April are in South Africa; the URC Quarter Finals (MAY 5/6/7) coincide with Mr Bruce Springsteen & his E Street Band being in residence in the Dublin RDS Arena...so given our position at the top of the table (& if we keep up the win rate) I suspect contingency plans are already being prepared for use of Lansdowne Road that weekend ...

We, the supporters, need to focus on ways to create/ensure the best atmosphere in support of the team @Lansdowne Rd, as it will potentially be coming to the forefront this season...
I think the plan for the heino QF if we get there is for it to be played in the Aviva.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Atmosphere for Aviva knockout games has been good and we've a great record there.

QF if we get there will definitely be played in Aviva, although we should probably expect a 30k max crowd for that if we get through.

Hosting URC quarter finals or semi finals in the Aviva is probably not optimal though, unless it's Munster we're playing (and especially if we're still in Europe at that stage).

We already struggle to even 3/4s fill the RDS for games like that.

Both the URC QF & SF last year barely reached 20k crowd combined.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:09 pm Atmosphere for Aviva knockout games has been good and we've a great record there.

QF if we get there will definitely be played in Aviva, although we should probably expect a 30k max crowd for that if we get through.

Hosting URC quarter finals or semi finals in the Aviva is probably not optimal though, unless it's Munster we're playing (and especially if we're still in Europe at that stage).

We already struggle to even 3/4s fill the RDS for games like that.

Both the URC QF & SF last year barely reached 20k crowd combined.
Potentially having a home last 16, QF, Semi and final in the Aviva is a hell of a lot of tickets to sell. I wouldn't be surprised to see the QF in the RDS given the expected lack of away fans.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I'd prefer to have had Ulster in the RDS, and the QF (if we win) in Lansdowne road. Giving up 'home' advantage to a large degree in the round of 16 by playing it in Lansdowne Road. Attendance will be close on 50:50 split. Does the club decide where the R16 is played?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

desperado wrote: January 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm I'd prefer to have had Ulster in the RDS, and the QF (if we win) in Lansdowne road. Giving up 'home' advantage to a large degree in the round of 16 by playing it in Lansdowne Road. Attendance will be close on 50:50 split. Does the club decide where the R16 is played?
That would have been my preference too to be honest. I wonder if it had been Ulster V Munster (or the other way around) would either give up home advantage for a larger attendance? Even Conn last year refused to move from the dog track and you might have thought they'd be screaming out for a bigger pay day?

Anyway, it is what it is and I can understand why we've done it, so onwards on hopefully upwards.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

No one will admit it but Tv has input on stadiums too.

Tv Companies live to see packed large stands in shiny stadiums.

Things like "Play in the RDS you are on at 1pm on Sunday. Play in the Aviva you are on at 5:30 on Saturday" get mentioned.

Makes much more sense for Leinster and their sponsors to have a high profile slot in the tv schedule.

This was told to me back in the day when Sky had the rights but I am sure nothing has changed.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Attendance won't be close to a 50/50 split either.

There'll be a far bigger Leinster crowd as there was in 2019 for the Ulster knockout game.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

desperado wrote: January 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm I'd prefer to have had Ulster in the RDS, and the QF (if we win) in Lansdowne road. Giving up 'home' advantage to a large degree in the round of 16 by playing it in Lansdowne Road. Attendance will be close on 50:50 split. Does the club decide where the R16 is played?
Ulster only get a 10% ticket allocation, Leinster are giving them a bit more, but will surely be nowhere near 50:50. Last time in Quarter Finals in 2019, Ulster got 25% of tickets.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

wixfjord wrote: January 26th, 2023, 5:25 pm Attendance won't be close to a 50/50 split either.

There'll be a far bigger Leinster crowd as there was in 2019 for the Ulster knockout game.
Well, they made plenty of noise, I remember there were large swathes of Ulster supporters around us; continually standing up with the SUFTUM refrain. Worse than the in and out to the bar crowd.
My Dad always said; if there's an Ulsterman in a crowd you'll hear him. It's up to us to be noisier; but I always feel the RDS is much better and even Leinster support at away games make their presence felt more. Even if it is 70/30, there's always a large proportion of the 70 that are day trippers; whereas a much larger proportion of the Ulster fans will be more invested in the game. It is was it is; and if we have aspirations of winning it outright, where is it played shouldn't be an issue.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

1st April against Ulster there is enough time to sell a decent amount of tickets and get a good passionate crowd for an interprovincial...Ulster fans will bring their SUFTUM too!!

win that and the Quarter Finals against Edinburgh/Leicester is the following weekend, the Easter Bank Holiday, (Mon 10th is the Bank Holiday) with only a week for Edinburgh/Leicester and other travelling fans to arrange transport/accommodation...that's a tough ask in which to sell big numbers of tickets...we need to bring the noise...

win that and there is a bit more time for travelling fans to make arrangements for the Semi Finals - May Bank Holiday Weekend (W/E 28/29/30 April)...

On the following weekend, given Bruce/E Street Band play the RDS Fri/Sun/Tues accommodation will be even more scarce than it already is...so unless the travelling fans have already arranged accommodation [and perhaps Bruce Tickets !] a good strategy will be needed to get Landsdowne Rd more than 1/2 full...someone might send Shane Nolan a memo to invite Bruce...sure wasn't his great-great-great-grandfather from Mountprospect, just outside Rathangan Co Kildare; that would be reciprocity of Leinstertainment!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

desperado wrote: January 26th, 2023, 6:38 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 26th, 2023, 5:25 pm Attendance won't be close to a 50/50 split either.

Well, they made plenty of noise, I remember there were large swathes of Ulster supporters around us; continually standing up with the SUFTUM refrain. Worse than the in and out to the bar crowd.
My Dad always said; if there's an Ulsterman in a crowd you'll hear him. It's up to us to be noisier; but I always feel the RDS is much better and even Leinster support at away games make their presence felt more. Even if it is 70/30, there's always a large proportion of the 70 that are day trippers; whereas a much larger proportion of the Ulster fans will be more invested in the game. It is was it is; and if we have aspirations of winning it outright, where is it played shouldn't be an issue.
Yes away dayers are always noisier than home fans.

I do remember being stuck in the middle of the pocket of Ulster fans in the lower tier who were fairly well oiled and loud, getting louder as Ulster grew into the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ross' kick sail over that day!
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

While the club decides the round of 16 and quarter final venues its worth noting that theres revenue sharing in place. If you play at home you split the tickets 50/50 after costs.

If you move to a bigger venue its split 65/35.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I don't get why people continue to question whether European games will be played in D'Aviva. They will. End of discussion.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Degz wrote: January 27th, 2023, 5:58 am I don't get why people continue to question whether European games will be played in D'Aviva. They will. End of discussion.
But will they be on d’telly?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

God forbid anyone enjoys themselves at a rugby game. Don’t they know you’re supposed to sit on your hands with silence ringing around the stadium all game?
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

bluemagic wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:51 am

God forbid anyone enjoys themselves at a rugby game. Don’t they know you’re supposed to sit on your hands with silence ringing around the stadium all game?
Hear hear