Jonny Wikinsons Toulon Away

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Jonny Wikinsons Toulon Away

Post by neiliog93 »

wixfjord wrote:Reddan is a cert to start at 9, he's in excellent form too.

For me, I'd start Cronin, think he's been hard done by and we may need his ball carrying. Also thought it was harsh not to start him last week.
Agreed, he's in good form, has sorted his throwing issues and we'll need his carrying in the absence of SOB.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

neiliog93 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Reddan is a cert to start at 9, he's in excellent form too.

For me, I'd start Cronin, think he's been hard done by and we may need his ball carrying. Also thought it was harsh not to start him last week.
Agreed, he's in good form, has sorted his throwing issues and we'll need his carrying in the absence of SOB.
I think you can make an argument for both Strauss and Cronin. Just happy we have 2 international hookers available.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd go for Cronin too. Think he's really stepped up these year and has become much more than an impact sub.

Would be surprised if it wasn't Strauss though.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd go for Cronin too. Think he's really stepped up these year and has become much more than an impact sub.

Would be surprised if it wasn't Strauss though.
The answer of who to start at 2 lies in the impact off the bench. Strauss for me does not have the same impact off the bench if he comes on with 20 to go whereas Cronin quite often does. Therefore Strauss to start and Cronin to come on.
Four Stars
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

he is more than an impact sub, but what an impact sub - the pace changes immediately - that can be a game changer. I have never seem the same impact from Strauss - whatever it is about Cronin it can start at a sprint. So when we have two class hookers, the adv can be on who makes the best impact on 50-60mins.
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

Hmmm, I always thought Reddan played better off the bench; starting with Boss to lure them into playing a tight slow/medium pace game style, then throw on Reddan after 50 minutes and blow them out of the water with sniping runs and fast pace play.

I'd only start Gopps because I think Madigan has been miles off the mark this season, but yeah, MOC will probably start Madigan...
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

papachino wrote:Hmmm, I always thought Reddan played better off the bench; starting with Boss to lure them into playing a tight slow/medium pace game style, then throw on Reddan after 50 minutes and blow them out of the water with sniping runs and fast pace play.

I'd only start Gopps because I think Madigan has been miles off the mark this season, but yeah, MOC will probably start Madigan...
MOC has more options than simply picking the team and timing the subs. There is a detailed game plan that Madigan or Gopperth would be given with a Plan B, C and D in differnt cases, with substitutions being one of the options.
We saw Redden play a game plan last week where he took a lot of the kicks after 5/6 phases of little progress in our own half - perhaps this week it will be after 1/2 phases or given to gopperth.
It is simplistic (and a bit like a computer game) to think that Madigan or Gopperth can only execute one game plan and that the choice is only about personel and timing.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Luke and Dave K on the wings for me....McFadden not on their level as a winger

Mads and Reddser at HB

Ricky then Sean at 2
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

A bit freaky to think we have a full international front row with another one on the bench. The row are also internationals though the bench option is carrying a few miles and does not give much impact. Our backrow even with SOB out has class + youth + experience. Just looking at the front 5 you have to woonder why we do not go down to the south of france with more confidence.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Fireworks wrote:A bit freaky to think we have a full international front row with another one on the bench. The row are also internationals though the bench option is carrying a few miles and does not give much impact. Our backrow even with SOB out has class + youth + experience. Just looking at the front 5 you have to woonder why we do not go down to the south of france with more confidence.
No doubt you'll be beset with replies highlighting Toulon's undoubted strength. But I agree with you, we should be more aware of our own strength team.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Toulon lost to Cardiff in an earlier round, theyre beatable
know that was an away game and there is a huge difference in a French team home and away and but theyre mostly not French and theres a huge difference between Cardiff and a professional rugby team
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I'd rather be playing Toulon away than Clermont tbh. They've never had to entertain anything quite like the blue magic and I'm sure the occasion will affect them more than it does us. All over by half time.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Did you think so? This should never be printed.
As they’ve gone on through the season, they’ve got better and better under O’Connor. He hasn’t changed an awful lot. If you wanted to pick something out, they probably kick a little bit more now than when Schmidt was in charge. The word coming out from Leinster was that he was going to be more defence-orientated than Schmidt was but I don’t think that has been really glaring or anything.

From the outside looking in, he has kept the ship steady and hasn’t made a lot of fuss. This is the weekend his impact will have the greatest chance of being seen. Leinster can win in Toulon, I have no doubt they can. There are very few teams in Europe that you could say that about but Leinster have the players to pull it off.

Leinster’s game is built around pace. They have the speed to put phases together and to move Toulon around.
They've
They've
He
He
His
His
They
They

The headline and bylines are separate. The first time he name checks O'Connor and Schmidt he should say their full names. The first sentence is horrible.

And what is with all this "you" business. Isn't this Quinlan's opinion piece? So why does he keep (and I mean, KEEP) telling us what we think? "But you still get the feeling..." -----> Muck.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

"Pivotal starting role beckons for either Madigan or Gopperth"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/h ... -1.1747658

No sh!t!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

suisse wrote:"Pivotal starting role beckons for either Madigan or Gopperth"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/h ... -1.1747658

No sh!t!
I predict we'll either win, or lose. Can I have a job?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Dunno where people are going with suggestions Boss should start. Reddan is in great form, no brainer.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

A faint heart never won a lady fair!, reddan and maddigan to start at 9 and 10 , Cronin healy and moore in the front row run the legs off them
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Think I'd go with:

15. RK
14. Ferg
13. BOD
12. D'arcy
11. Luke
10. Madigan
9. Reddan

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Mike Mc
5. Dev
6. Ruddock
8. Heaslip
7. Jenno

16. Cronin
17. Jack Mac
18. Marty Moore
19. Leo
20. Jordi
21. Boss
22. Gopperth
23. ZK
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Injury permitting that's a tasty lineup, but 6 and 17 are very doubtful aren't they?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

suisse wrote:
Did you think so? This should never be printed.
As they’ve gone on through the season, they’ve got better and better under O’Connor. He hasn’t changed an awful lot. If you wanted to pick something out, they probably kick a little bit more now than when Schmidt was in charge. The word coming out from Leinster was that he was going to be more defence-orientated than Schmidt was but I don’t think that has been really glaring or anything.

From the outside looking in, he has kept the ship steady and hasn’t made a lot of fuss. This is the weekend his impact will have the greatest chance of being seen. Leinster can win in Toulon, I have no doubt they can. There are very few teams in Europe that you could say that about but Leinster have the players to pull it off.

Leinster’s game is built around pace. They have the speed to put phases together and to move Toulon around.
They've
They've
He
He
His
His
They
They

The headline and bylines are separate. The first time he name checks O'Connor and Schmidt he should say their full names. The first sentence is horrible.

And what is with all this "you" business. Isn't this Quinlan's opinion piece? So why does he keep (and I mean, KEEP) telling us what we think? "But you still get the feeling..." -----> Muck.
Sounds like he dictated it when he was walking the dog and Linda from accounts typed it out (presumably a team of sub-eds were unclogging the latest GT bomb).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation