Jamie Please don't go! (Down to New Orleans)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Jamie Please don't go! (Down to New Orleans)

Post by blockhead »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 49009.html

E500/annum for Jamie according to the INDO
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

They'll love that in Shelbyville!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

worth every penny!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:worth every penny!

Interesting, if true, that the IRFU could have secured him for less last summer - will they never learn?
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

blockhead wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 49009.html

E500/annum for Jamie according to the INDO
Tenner a week? Good bit of business by the IRFU. :)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

fourthirtythree wrote:They'll love that in Shelbyville!
Amost tempted to wander over and enjoy it firsthand. Satisfying.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

That figure inevitably makes hardballing Sexton rare its ugly head once more.

Lest we forget he (Sexton) was a fairly late breakthrough in relative terms, was still on a development contract when a Heineken Cup winning 10 and first choice for Ireland and only got a half decent deal after that, in reality they had got Sexton at bargain basement prices up until that point, seeing as he had earned so little by his age and is probably the most irreplacable player in the Irish team (Healy could give a shout, but McGrath has stood up), would it have killed them to give an offer similar to the Racing one seeing as that's what Heaslip is on?

If they've realised they need to make big offers now, it makes me slightly more optimistic of getting Sexton back after next season....
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

I actually don't agree - that kind of money for a 30 year old over three years is excessive. Ruddock is captaining the Wolfhounds, Leavy is captaining the U20s. We have Murphy, Ryan, Gilsenan, O'Brien, McLaughlin, Jennings. I fail to see the business sense of paying Heaslip this much. I rate him highly as a player, I'm delighted he's staying, but the money is a bit off in my humble opinion.

There must have been a lot of money burning a hole in the IRFU's pockets with Racing paying Johnny's wages and Drico's retirement, but how much of their Leinster budget is gone now? Ruddock hasn't signed yet, has he? Neither has Jennings? I wonder what the repercussions of this will be. Could see a Jennings swansong at Connacht?

Anyway, the short term future for Ireland looks good with Copeland returning - it looks like we could have a serious squad in place and playing at home for World Cup year. If only Sexton could be brought back a year early, then all would truly be rosy in the garden.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

If it's in the Indo it, er, must be true.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Laighindown wrote:
I actually don't agree - that kind of money for a 30 year old over three years is excessive. Ruddock is captaining the Wolfhounds, Leavy is captaining the U20s. We have Murphy, Ryan, Gilsenan, O'Brien, McLaughlin, Jennings. I fail to see the business sense of paying Heaslip this much. I rate him highly as a player, I'm delighted he's staying, but the money is a bit off in my humble opinion.

There must have been a lot of money burning a hole in the IRFU's pockets with Racing paying Johnny's wages and Drico's retirement, but how much of their Leinster budget is gone now? Ruddock hasn't signed yet, has he? Neither has Jennings? I wonder what the repercussions of this will be. Could see a Jennings swansong at Connacht?

Anyway, the short term future for Ireland looks good with Copeland returning - it looks like we could have a serious squad in place and playing at home for World Cup year. If only Sexton could be brought back a year early, then all would truly be rosy in the garden.
Surely Leinsters budget hasn't changed since Heaslip's is a central contract?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

domhnallj wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:They'll love that in Shelbyville!
Amost tempted to wander over and enjoy it firsthand. Satisfying.
Some comedy over there on the back of this, the savages would be calling a different tune if he wore red :roll:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighindown wrote:

Thats the attitude that cost us the man Hines. Class costs, but thats ok because it pays too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Jesus how they typed with pitchforks in one hand on Indo's comments section
we should spend the money on young backrowers..like Cawlin my favourite

usual hookist leanings of no credit for Leinster captain, grand slam, 2 leagues, 1 amlin, 3 H Cups, nice restaurant etc

that said I feel the story is an agency plant and top figure based on maximum he could earn with bonuses, every appearance possible and Ireland winning RWC, 6 nations and the lovely girls contest
makes no sense theyd match Toulon, just isnt plausable
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:That said I feel the story is an agency plant and top figure based on maximum he could earn with bonuses, every appearance possible and Ireland winning RWC, 6 nations and the lovely girls contest
Something like that. GT suggested lower base salary with beefed-up performance-based bonuses.

Is there any other centrally contracted Irish player that plays more of the matches (at such a high level) that count for the IRFU at the bottom line than Heaslip?

I think Ross is about the only first choice player who can match Heaslip for high-level games played and Ross' form is comparatively as consistent.
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Laighindown wrote:

Surely Leinsters budget hasn't changed since Heaslip's is a central contract?
But I... Well what about the...
Oh. Ok then. :oops:

Spend away chaps, spend away.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:That said I feel the story is an agency plant and top figure based on maximum he could earn with bonuses, every appearance possible and Ireland winning RWC, 6 nations and the lovely girls contest
Something like that. GT suggested lower base salary with beefed-up performance-based bonuses.

Is there any other centrally contracted Irish player that plays more of the matches (at such a high level) that count for the IRFU at the bottom line than Heaslip?

I think Ross is about the only first choice player who can match Heaslip for high-level games played and Ross' form is comparatively as consistent.
to borrow a soccer phrase 'in a deal worth up to x million'
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Morf wrote:

to borrow a soccer phrase 'in a deal worth up to x million'
Worth every X.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

x does have x factor #thornley101
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Laighindown wrote:
Ruddock is captaining the Wolfhounds, Leavy is captaining the U20s. We have Murphy, Ryan, Gilsenan, O'Brien, McLaughlin, Jennings. I fail to see the business sense of paying Heaslip this much.
Nearly all those players are flankers. Murphy is the closest thing to an 8 and even he doesn't have all that much experience there.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

[Jackass] wrote:That figure inevitably makes hardballing Sexton rare its ugly head once more.

Lest we forget he (Sexton) was a fairly late breakthrough in relative terms, was still on a development contract when a Heineken Cup winning 10 and first choice for Ireland and only got a half decent deal after that, in reality they had got Sexton at bargain basement prices up until that point, seeing as he had earned so little by his age and is probably the most irreplacable player in the Irish team (Healy could give a shout, but McGrath has stood up), would it have killed them to give an offer similar to the Racing one seeing as that's what Heaslip is on?

If they've realised they need to make big offers now, it makes me slightly more optimistic of getting Sexton back after next season....
Hmmm....
Heaslip has proven himself at test level repeatedly. He's very durable for a backrower, misses few games. Captaincy material.

Sexton hasn't really proven himself fully at test level, I don't believe. Harsh but true. He might be more indispensible to the Irish squad than Heaslip, but letting him move abroad hasn't made him unavailable. If a contract rewards performance, then Heaslip is more deserving, imo.

Sexton's value to Leinster vs. Heaslip's is a different subject.