Jamie Please don't go! (Down to New Orleans)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Jamie Please don't go! (Down to New Orleans)

Post by Hippo »

Exley wrote:I think one of the factors that some fans take into account is the potential of Jordi Murphy.
He genuinely looks like he is ready to step up to being a HC-standard number 8 for us.
He's promising, but still some considerable distance from Jamie's level
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Hippo wrote:
Exley wrote:I think one of the factors that some fans take into account is the potential of Jordi Murphy.
He genuinely looks like he is ready to step up to being a HC-standard number 8 for us.
He's promising, but still some considerable distance from Jamie's level
Not even sure he will end up at 8. Great player though he is.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

He's a year off what's required imo.

Don't forget Ryan looked this good, if not better, a couple of seasons ago. Both players look great with a pack going forward, but don't have the impact required at HC level if the pack is suffering.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

AdamK wrote:He's a year off what's required imo.

Don't forget Ryan looked this good, if not better, a couple of seasons ago. Both players look great with a pack going forward, but don't have the impact required at HC level if the pack is suffering.
Very good point. Jamie is outstanding off the back of a retreating scrum, probably the best I've seen. His control firstly and his ability to always give his support players time with his footwork. Outstanding player and leader and I really hope we can hang onto him.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

The biggest complement I can pay Jamie along with Seanie, BOD, Cian, Isa, Johnny (Leinster's 6 World Class players who played with us more than 2 seasons) is that we have judged them as close to the best in the world in their positions and when they play to 90% of their potential as all great players will do sometimes then our high expectations are not met.

We have lost Isa & Johnny & BOD will be gone at the end of the season so Seanie, Cian, and Jamie have veryimportant roles in
a) delivering world class performances/leadership at key times (not all the time as that is impossible for any player) and
b) improving/giving example to the up & coming stars of the future.

Around 2008 to 2010 there were so many fantastic performances/moments
- his defiance at the Stoop alongside back row colleagues Jennings & Elsom,
- match winning try in first Heineken final in Edinburgh,
- shunting O'Gara at the RDS,
- tries v Clermont at the RDS,
- and numerous MOM awards

These & others raised our expectations that he was the the best no 8 in the world. Kieran Reed may be now but on form Jamie is close & is in very good form at the moment. Would not surprise me to see Jamie in top 3 no 8's in the next 4 years.

I am glad to see Leinster fans on this forum giving him the credit he deserves. We all want him to stay if that is possible.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Heaslip is an excellent 8 and is entering his prime that's why Toulon want him - he is not in the Read or Picamoles class but he's right up there and hold his own with anyone else. Hope he stays think he will.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bogger wrote:he is not in the Read or Picamoles class.
Yes he is, and comfortably so.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I watched Picamoles last week for Toulouse V Sarries. I'm not going to do a Mole on it and look back on the game but on the original viewing my reaction was: yes, he carries the ball a massive amount and made a few tackles but I don't remember seeing him hit 1 ruck.

ESPN have him down for carrying 16 times for 50 metres which seems right with 8 tackles, I thought it was less but I thought he contributed considerably less to the Toulose cause than Dusatoir. To me, Jamie is a Dusatoir type player and in my opinion there is no higher praise and one that I would want in my team every day of the week.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Read is currently best no 8 in the world followed by Duane Vermeulen, Parisse, & Jamie in no particular order.

Picamoles & Faleteu a little further back.
stuwilson
Bookworm

Post by stuwilson »

Jamie is truly world class, we would miss him big time!

He is one of the most intelligent footballers in world rugby, between himself, Seanie and Mr O'Mahony they played the All blacks back row off the park in November.....so Jamie please don't go!!!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I am obviously a massive fan of Heaslip but he's not nearly as good as Read currently.
stuwilson
Bookworm

Post by stuwilson »

To be honest Dan who cares whos he's as good at or not, we would miss him so this forum should be asking him to stay in my view, just my tuppence!!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

stuwilson wrote:To be honest Dan who cares whos he's as good at or not, we would miss him so this forum should be asking him to stay in my view, just my tuppence!!
I certainly hope he stays. Was just commenting on another post, that's sort of what message boards are for.
stuwilson
Bookworm

Post by stuwilson »

Fair enough, was just going with the forum title myself, tyring to get back on point...... exit stage left ;-)
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

To be fair, nobody's as good as Read at the moment. Parisse, Heaslip and Picamoles lead the chasing pack behind Read.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

neiliog93 wrote:To be fair, nobody's as good as Read at the moment. Parisse, Heaslip and Picamoles lead the chasing pack behind Read.
He was certainly better than him in November
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

We're not here(on this thread) to debate the merits of No 8s. Back on topic lads
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Leoslovechild wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:To be fair, nobody's as good as Read at the moment. Parisse, Heaslip and Picamoles lead the chasing pack behind Read.
He was certainly better than him in November
Better than him in one game in November, yes. Overall, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ben6P8hkjTE
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He was better than him for most of the game. The last sublime move though? Read was awesome.

To put that in perspective: Jamie was awesome in the last move we had of the NH game at home. Right up until...
I obviously rate Tipuric higher than most here as I think he and Jamie are around the same level. No complaints if and when either were selected for the Lions.
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

Another strong endorsement for keeping the big man at Leinster. I don't think comparing Murphy or Ruddock to him in terms of contributing while pack getting beaten up is relevant - I'd doubt that Heaslip was doing that 8-10 years ago (he wasn't actually), but they will learn - and moreso if it is from the man himself. I would wholeheartedly agree that Heaslip is a massive contributer to our ability to win ugly.

Schmidt is helping our cause by calling Copeland into Ireland squad. Here ya go Jamie, future Ireland 8 right here. He'll be playing in Ireland next year and all, isn't next year world cup year? Anyway, good luck with your contract negotiations.

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin Jamie, Leinster abú!