A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Ospreys 17/1/14

Post by Dexter »

To start it off, officials for Friday:

Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant referees: Cyril Lafon (France), Eric Soulan (France)
Television match official: Laurent Valin (France)
Dont Panic!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Ospreys 17/1/14

Post by goreyguy »

My Team

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Toner
5. McCarthy
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Madigan
11. Fitz
12. Darcy
13. BOD
14. Kirchner
15. Kearney
16. Dundon
17. McGrath
18. Ross
19. Cullen
20. Murphy
21. Boss
22. Gopperth
23. Kearney
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My main hope is that we do actually make a few changes. I know it's not a massive body of evidence but we kept the same team after great wins against The Ospreys and Northampton and we just looked flat. I think the nature of our squad is such that we need to freshen things up every week plus there's a short turnaround. Ruddock has to start for me if he's fit and I'd start Moore as well. Don't really mind outside of that.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

This is going to be a tough 5 day turnaround, especially for those who played 80 mins yesterday. Have to think it will make a difference in selection.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Think I'd give Boss the nod - it was a heavy pitch yesterday so changes for fresh legs seem like a no brainer.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dexter wrote:To start it off, officials for Friday:

Need to get the scrum right :shock:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The saving grace is that the Ospreys are in the very same boat and will have to go away from home now too after a defeat. They'll be very drained mentally come Friday. They played a monster pack yesterday in the form of Northampton and that won't have been easy for important players like Tipuric and AWJ who both played 80 minutes.

Hopefully they're utterly drained when they visit and we can spring guys like Kirchner and Jennings who will be full of energy and determined to prove a point.

I'd go with Healy, Cronin, Moore, Toner, McCarthy (Cullen to come in relatively early though after McCarthy's workhorse showing yesterday), Ruddock, Jennings, Heaslip, Boss, Gopperth, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, BOD, ZK, RK.

That's 6 guys who didn't start yesterday and should offer a serious injection of gusto into our plan.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Shows how far Leo's star has fallen that nobody has mentioned starting him so far. Poor Leo :(
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Shows how far Leo's star has fallen that nobody has mentioned starting him so far. Poor Leo :(
I considered it but I just don't think he'll have the required energy levels for the pace of the game in the opening half. I'd like to see him on for the last 30 minutes and cheat at every ruck to make gaps for others but I think the pace of a big HEC game is beyond him now at 36.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Tell that to Brad Thorn, Simon Shaw and Nathan Hines. :) 36 is just a gossun in the 2nd row
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Shows how far Leo's star has fallen that nobody has mentioned starting him so far. Poor Leo :(
Or how far Dev's has risen..
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

johng wrote:Tell that to Brad Thorn, Simon Shaw and Nathan Hines. :) 36 is just a gossun in the 2nd row
Ah they were lazy gits though. Faffing about with rugby league or playing club rugby in Scotland until about 23 or 24. Not like our Leo.

Actually, in fairness, the number of games Shaw played (even before going to France) is ridiculous. He must have almost 500 professional appearances which is utter madness in rugby.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Forgotten man Fergus McFadden to come back for the bench here. But who out of Fitz, Zane, Dave K, Rob K to drop for him? Zane or Dave K. Gone with Dave as Zane is better FB cover.

Fancy a Redan/Mads halfback pairing too.

5 of last weeks bench rotated in for added freshness.

Healy
Cronin
Moore
Toner
McCarthy
Ruddock
Jennings
Heaslip

Reddan
Madigan
Fitzgerald
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
Kirchner
R Kearney

Dundon
McGrath
Ross
Cullen
Murphy
Boss
Gopperth
McFadden
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:Tell that to Brad Thorn, Simon Shaw and Nathan Hines. :) 36 is just a gossun in the 2nd row
Different and dare i say better athletes than Leo.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

LeinsterLeader wrote:

Need to get the scrum right :shock:
or just cheat. makes no odds with that lad as ref.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

goreyguy wrote:
Different and dare i say better athletes than Leo.
+1. Completely different players.

Poite worries me, he has the potential to turn the game into a scrum-penalty fest with his breakdown pedantry. He also lets defensive teams go about 5 metres offside at every ruck. Thank God the Ospreys are a) out of the competition and b) in the same boat as us with the 5-day turnaround. I hope their fans' speculation that they'll rest a few key players is correct. It would be so Ospreys and so perverse if they did beat us.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

I like Romain - even since the Saints final where I thought he had a great game - encouraging free flowing rugby - especially when he allowed the saints play on when there was a clear knock-on!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Poite - Law of the jungle applies.
Scrum as we all know decides everything for Poite - ergo Moore or Ross is the first issue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

ronk wrote:
Or how far Dev's has risen..
he cant rise any more or else he will have snow on his head :mrgreen: - but seriously he has grown in to the job, his tackling yesterday was very good
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ceemec wrote:The saving grace is that the Ospreys are in the very same boat and will have to go away from home now too after a defeat. They'll be very drained mentally come Friday. They played a monster pack yesterday in the form of Northampton and that won't have been easy for important players like Tipuric and AWJ who both played 80 minutes.

Hopefully they're utterly drained when they visit and we can spring guys like Kirchner and Jennings who will be full of energy and determined to prove a point.

I'd go with Healy, Cronin, Moore, Toner, McCarthy (Cullen to come in relatively early though after McCarthy's workhorse showing yesterday), Ruddock, Jennings, Heaslip, Boss, Gopperth, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, BOD, ZK, RK.

That's 6 guys who didn't start yesterday and should offer a serious injection of gusto into our plan.
They,ve already indicated they will be picking quite a few fresh faces.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.