The Quickening. Last one under Rabo sponsorship.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Quickening. Last one under Rabo sponsorship.

Post by simonokeeffe »

I can see Munster getting turned over against Glasgow as theyll have to rest guys after back to back monstrous games and theyll want first team to run out against Connacht a week later to get up to speed for a likely HC SF
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

If they play like they did in the RDS they'll have every chance.

Ulster still have to visit Glasgow too, which is a potential slip for them.

If we get BP home wins against Edinburgh and Treviso and win two from Munster (H), Ospreys (A) and Ulster (A) I think that could be enough, as long as the others all take points off each other and no one team wins all their remaining games.

Munster have a tricky visit to Connacht also.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Connacht only 4 points off Llanelli for Heineken spot.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Blue not red blood wrote:Connacht only 4 points off Llanelli for Heineken spot.
its top 6 for next season isnt it? 7 thereafter

added advantage of making league final is it probably means a summer off for more of the squad as 1st test only a week later
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:I can see Munster getting turned over against Glasgow as theyll have to rest guys after back to back monstrous games and theyll want first team to run out against Connacht a week later to get up to speed for a likely HC SF
I think you might be writing off Toulouse a bit there, SOK. They still have a staggeringly strong squad [source: http://www.stadetoulousain.fr/Effectif-16-EN.html ]. Their away game against Saracens early in the season showed that they can get the job done on the road and they'll have a strong French international contingent back [Medard, Huget, Fickou, Picamoles, Maestri] and Luke McAllister back from injury at No10.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

hugonaut wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I can see Munster getting turned over against Glasgow as theyll have to rest guys after back to back monstrous games and theyll want first team to run out against Connacht a week later to get up to speed for a likely HC SF
I think you might be writing off Toulouse a bit there, SOK. They still have a staggeringly strong squad [source: http://www.stadetoulousain.fr/Effectif-16-EN.html ]. Their away game against Saracens early in the season showed that they can get the job done on the road and they'll have a strong French international contingent back [Medard, Huget, Fickou, Picamoles, Maestri] and Luke McAllister back from injury at No10.
One of those games that Munster just won't lose imo. I know Toulouse have a massive quality squad but I they'll be away from home in an extremely hostile stadium, and they're French. On top of that, they're touch-and-go for the T14 playoffs. Don't see them doing it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:
Not saying a cakewalk but led by Paulie, embittered/emboldened by playing the 6 nations champions the week before, Thornley and Sky flinging European cliches everywhere they have to be favourites.
Plus Toulouse have out of form halfbacks
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Toulouse bullied Sarries twice this season, but have been unconvincing in the Top 14, and for all their quality, aren't the force of old. If they reproduce their forward performance from the two Saracens games in the H Cup group stages, they have a chance. If they don't, they'll definitely lose.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I fancy Munster and Ulster to do the bizzo. Be great if we could too.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

We have Munster on a Saturday, followed by a trip to Toulon the following Sunday followed by a trip to Swansea the Friday afterwards. Charming scheduling. Can't see us beating the Ospreys with that kind of turnaround. Saturday's game is massive for our league hopes.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Scrum 5
Bookworm

Post by Scrum 5 »

simonokeeffe wrote:

added advantage of making league final is it probably means a summer off for more of the squad as 1st test only a week later
Reports giving 7 for Rabo, 6 PRL & 6 Top14. Final spot play off between PRL and Top 14 for coming season. After that talk of final spot between three leagues I think.

Griffiths is confident an accord on the competition to replace the Heineken Cup next season is on the verge of completion. A 20-team top-tier tournament will replace it, with seven Pro12 teams, six Premiership and six Top 14 clubs qualifying. The final spot will be claimed by the winner of a play-off between the seventh-placed finishers in the Premiership and the Top 14.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/m ... l-saracens
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Scrum 5 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Reports giving 7 for Rabo, 6 PRL & 6 Top14. Final spot play off between PRL and Top 14 for coming season. After that talk of final spot between three leagues I think.

Griffiths is confident an accord on the competition to replace the Heineken Cup next season is on the verge of completion. A 20-team top-tier tournament will replace it, with seven Pro12 teams, six Premiership and six Top 14 clubs qualifying. The final spot will be claimed by the winner of a play-off between the seventh-placed finishers in the Premiership and the Top 14.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/m ... l-saracens
cheers
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Serge Blanco wants beard rationing.

Each union of the Celtic nations + Italy will be allowed one and only one massively OTT awesome beard.

Elite leagues deserve elite beard quotas.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Not saying a cakewalk but led by Paulie, embittered/emboldened by playing the 6 nations champions the week before, Thornley and Sky flinging European cliches everywhere they have to be favourites.
Plus Toulouse have out of form halfbacks
I agree that Munster have a number of elements in their favour, but I think that there are a number of reasons that this is more of a pick 'em than most people would seem to think.

Toulouse can turn out a massive, super-experienced pack to start the game – Steenkamp [32, 49 Springbok caps/186cm & 118kg], Ralapele [27, 22 Springbok caps/178cm and 98kg] Johnston [32, 42 Samoa caps/188cm & 130kg], Albacete [33, 57 Argentina caps/200cm & 118kg], Maestri [26, 25 French caps, 201cm & 119kg], Tekori [30, 27 Samoan caps/192cm & 123kg], Nyanga [30, 37 French caps/187cm & 98kg], Picamoles [28, 42 French caps/192cm & 113kg] – and can bring serious size and power off the bench in the likes of Tolofua, Camara, Millo Chluski, Galan and Montes.

Munster have no experience this season in dealing with that type of size, power and experience up front. Their group was a piece of piss – teams that aren't competitive in their own domestic leagues. Perpignan are 11th in the Top14, Edinburgh are 8th in the Pro12 and Gloucester are 9th in the AP. While the Munster lineout will probably do well with O'Connell, O'Mahony and Ryan in the pack, it's very difficult to know if they'll be able to get parity in the scrum, or whether they'll be able to maul effectively. The scrum and the maul are such cornerstones of the Top14, and the Toulouse pack have such a size advantage, that I would be doubtful.

In terms of the backline, Munster's threat will primarily come out wide from Zebo and Earls, and Toulouse are extremely well stocked at wing with Huget [who had a fantastic Six Nations] and All Black Hosea Gear, with either Poitrenaud or likely Medard at fullback. The Munster lads are very good, but I don't see that they have an advantage there.

These Toulouse players have played in a lot of big, big games at all levels – league, cup, test – and I don't think the trip to Thomond park is going to overwhelm them. This is a ROG-less Munster for the first HEC knock-out game since the 2005 quarter-final loss away to Biarritz, and there won't be the same implacable level of belief in the Munster pack that their outhalf has the winning of the game.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

hugonaut wrote:I agree that Munster have a number of elements in their favour, but I think that there are a number of reasons that this is more of a pick 'em than most people would seem to think.
Great, objective assessment (and, of course, worrying from a Munster point of view!).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

meinster wrote:
hugonaut wrote:I agree that Munster have a number of elements in their favour, but I think that there are a number of reasons that this is more of a pick 'em than most people would seem to think.
Great, objective assessment (and, of course, worrying from a Munster point of view!).
I think Munster still have to be favourites at home though.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

It will be interesting to see the spread. I reckon it will be tight and might just have a little bet on ST.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Owens reffing which is just good for the game (Ulster have Garces but should suit their superior scrum v Saracens)

Will Nyanga be back fit for that one as he's a bit of a key player?

Scrum would be one worry for Munster and if anything happens to POC or Botha theyre done for and theyll need Keatley to kick well. But like I said ST not strong at halfback. T14 super tight at the moment which could rule out anyone 50/50 fitness.
I still think at home theyll do it but either way it has one score game written all over it
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

meinster wrote:
Unlike so many French (and English) teams, Toulouse will not be beaten before they get off the bus. The TP atmosphere will encourage Munster but rather like Leicester and Ulster before them, Toulouse are one of the few team that will not be intimidated by the venue. Munster can certainly get the result, but it will be because they win it rather than the opposition throwing it away.

As an aside, its the 1st year that you could see any of up to 3 of the QF's going to the away team, the exception being Leicester away to ASM.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

"Toulouse can turn out a massive, super-experienced pack to start the game – Steenkamp [32, 49 Springbok caps/186cm & 118kg], Ralapele [27, 22 Springbok caps/178cm and 98kg] Johnston [32, 42 Samoa caps/188cm & 130kg], Albacete [33, 57 Argentina caps/200cm & 118kg], Maestri [26, 25 French caps, 201cm & 119kg], Tekori [30, 27 Samoan caps/192cm & 123kg], Nyanga [30, 37 French caps/187cm & 98kg], Picamoles [28, 42 French caps/192cm & 113kg] – and can bring serious size and power off the bench in the likes of Tolofua, Camara, Millo Chluski, Galan and Montes. "

Very good analysis. If Toulouse can do a job away against Saracens up front, the same is possible with Munster. The scrum in particular could go badly wrong from a Munster perspective, like us in 2010 against Toulouse in 2010 (or indeed Munster against Biarritz that same year).
Munster have no experience this season in dealing with that type of size, power and experience up front. Their group was a piece of piss – teams that aren't competitive in their own domestic leagues. Perpignan are 11th in the Top14, Edinburgh are 8th in the Pro12 and Gloucester are 9th in the AP. While the Munster lineout will probably do well with O'Connell, O'Mahony and Ryan in the pack, it's very difficult to know if they'll be able to get parity in the scrum, or whether they'll be able to maul effectively. The scrum and the maul are such cornerstones of the Top14, and the Toulouse pack have such a size advantage, that I would be doubtful.

In terms of the backline, Munster's threat will primarily come out wide from Zebo and Earls, and Toulouse are extremely well stocked at wing with Huget [who had a fantastic Six Nations] and All Black Hosea Gear, with either Poitrenaud or likely Medard at fullback. The Munster lads are very good, but I don't see that they have an advantage there.

These Toulouse players have played in a lot of big, big games at all levels – league, cup, test – and I don't think the trip to Thomond park is going to overwhelm them. This is a ROG-less Munster for the first HEC knock-out game since the 2005 quarter-final loss away to Biarritz, and there won't be the same implacable level of belief in the Munster pack that their outhalf has the winning of the game.[/quote]
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!