Castres v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Castres v Leinster

Post by Degz »

And so to Le Crunch.

I think, personally, the most worrying aspect of our play has been the complete lack of a killer instinct when we have made it to the red zone. We are simply not putting our chances away when we have the pressure on, accuracy has been poor. I would predict that MOC will pick JG at 10 on Sunday, and thus we may see more of the same (in fairness he did set up D'arce for the try but it was a fairly forward pass).

I think we'll see pretty much a similar side picked, hopefully Luke will overcome illness, so something like:

McGrath
Cronin
Ross
Mike Mc
Dev
Rhys
Jordi
JH

Boss
Gopperth

Luke
D'arcy
BOD
DK
RK

Dundon/Tracy?
Moore
Bent
Leo
McLoughlin
Reddan
Mads
Zane

Bench front row looks weak, we really need to avoid further injury there.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Castres v Leinster

Post by AdamK »

Gonna say the curbeball is Reddan to start. Agree with everything else but reckon Dippy will get the bench slot, as Locky has a niggle apparently so may curtail his training.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Castres' tactics should be to use the maul against us a much as possible.
They've a decent scrum also but we should have the advantage at the breakdown.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TimD
Bookworm

Post by TimD »

I see McFadden was back in the training photos today.

Probably too soon to play
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

A week too soon would you say?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Morf wrote:A week too soon would you say?
:clap:
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I'm gonna go with this team, think MOC will suprise a few people at 6 and 9.

1. McGrath
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Toner
5. McCarthy
6. Locky
7. Jordi
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Gopps
11. Fitzy
12. Darce
13. BOD
14. Kirchner
15. R. Kearney

16. Dundon
17. JOC/Bent
18. Moore
19. Cullen
20. Ruddock
21. Boss
22. Madigan
23. D. Kearney
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

VERY nervous about this game. I have haunting feelings about it.

Defeat and the wheels come off our season. We'd be looking at the prospect of possibly a final day, three team shoot out for the top spot, with Northampton at home to Castres.

I'm just praying at this point.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

[Jackass] wrote:VERY nervous about this game. I have haunting feelings about it.

Defeat and the wheels come off our season. We'd be looking at the prospect of possibly a final day, three team shoot out for the top spot, with Northampton at home to Castres.

Does our head to head over Saints and overall high try count not discount this possability?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The memory of this fixture in 08/09 is haunting. A 3-0 victory and four points is all I want!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:VERY nervous about this game. I have haunting feelings about it.

Does our head to head over Saints and overall high try count not discount this possability?
Actually a losing bonus point here will give us a better head to head than Castres also (unless they score 4 tries and we don't). So unless Northampton get 2 bonus point wins, any skankey aul win v the Ospreys will take us home (admittedly into 6th place and an away qf v the 3rd place team.

Let's win it though. 5 points to 6 was Ulster's margin there last year. That'll do fine. Then we have a (very faint) hope of a home qf.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Game is on the red button...OLSC said earlier on Facebook they are looking into with Sky.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Yes, nervous is the word. I think Gopperth will start and I would like to see Boss with him (thought he was more accurate than Reddan with passing and kicking). So, apart from me, who's going? :D
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruddock is struggling to be fit with injury but Lukey over his illness according to good sources on the twitter
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

we will win.

I dont think it will be pretty, but I believe we will win.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

sheepshagger wrote:Game is on the red button...OLSC said earlier on Facebook they are looking into with Sky.
Not sure it's sky's problem that one of their competitors doesn't offer sky's red button coverage.

In fact, if I was in sky's scheduling department I might be inclined to put more of the Irish teams' matches on the red button to try to get customers from UPC in the Irish market. It's the one advantage they have over here because UPC's broadband speeds blow them out of the water.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

I think Ryan's impact in recent games leaves him unleaveoutable. Agree with the selection above except my backrow is Jordi, Ryan and Heaslip. It's possibly our best one in the absence of O'Brien, certainly in the absence of O'Brien and Ruddock. Lockie for bench if he's fit. We need Ryan's intensity and enthusiasm and his carrying. I am also going to hang my hat on Madigan to start. He has been part of our best attacking rugby when we have produced it.

Castres don't have a massive need of a win - realistically they're out. They do have a massive need of a performance in front of their home fans, and they would love to take our scalp. We can't give them anything to get enthusiastic about - red hot intensity from our 15 is the order of the day, and we should be too good for them. Experience of our midfield and back three, abrasiveness of Boss, Madigan to rise like a phoenix and play his best game of the season, the front 8, led by Jamie, to pulverise. Fear should drive our lads on Sunday. I'll be watching from behind the couch!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Vamos los azules wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Game is on the red button...OLSC said earlier on Facebook they are looking into with Sky.
Not sure it's sky's problem that one of their competitors doesn't offer sky's red button coverage.

In fact, if I was in sky's scheduling department I might be inclined to put more of the Irish teams' matches on the red button to try to get customers from UPC in the Irish market. It's the one advantage they have over here because UPC's broadband speeds blow them out of the water.
and will be precisely why they have done it....!

The only pressure they would bow to would be commercial ones of major advertisers pulling out because of the loss of their target audience.

Then again I never thought Ryanair would change their flight times, so you never know, the OLSC works in mysterious ways!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Vamos los azules wrote:

Yeah, sky do this every so often. Their interactive service is a competitive advantage so every so often they put an Irish game on it to reinforce that UPC doesn't offer the whole sky sports package. Its a pain in the hole for supporters though. They did it for the away Clermont match three years ago - UPC tried everything they could in terms of negotiating with Sky to be allowed make it the primary stream on UPC in Ireland, but to no avail. Sky are perfectly within their rights though, and I'm surprised they don't do it more often.
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It really gives UPC a strong reason to agree to any request from Sky to block streams (high def ones too!) showing Sky exclusive content on the interwebs...