HEC: Leinster V Northampton 14/12/13 KO 6PM

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

HEC: Leinster V Northampton 14/12/13 KO 6PM

Post by outcast eddie »

Will there be a backlash from Northampton or can we take all points on offer again?

Injury worries = Church, Jenno, SO'B, Bossy...
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: HEC: Leinster V Northampton 14/12/13 KO 6PM

Post by blockhead »

Can't see us winning this. Northampton are 2nd in the Aviva Premiership, that's a proper league with relegation and player rotation instead on resting like they do in our pathetic rabid joke of a competition.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

While I was reasonably confident that we'd win tonight (or at very least run them close - my Da was doom and gloom this afternoon and I was having none of it. I really think the gulf in injuries between this year and last year means you have to trust the lads when they have more or less a full team out and people coming in pushing established players IN GOOD FORM out of the team...) I'd still bite your hands off for 4 points next week.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

blockhead wrote:Can't see us winning this. Northampton are 2nd in the Aviva Premiership, that's a proper league with relegation and player rotation instead on resting like they do in our pathetic rabid joke of a competition.
Class :clap:
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

There will be a backlash ... only 4 tries next week
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

my worry is we have Garces reffing
Saints only hope/gameplan/revenge mission will be to turn breakdown into a dockyard brawl (c) Matt Williams to deny us any quick ball and French refs big enablers in this regard. So we'll need serious violence of action at breakdown, maybe even 6-2 split on bench for extra backrow forward to come on
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:my worry is we have Garces reffing
Saints only hope/gameplan/revenge mission will be to turn breakdown into a dockyard brawl (c) Matt Williams to deny us any quick ball and French refs big enablers in this regard. So we'll need serious violence of action at breakdown, maybe even 6-2 split on bench for extra backrow forward to come on
+ 1. Also, Saints will know that they lost the game at the breakdown tonight, and will target that area next week. Leinster won the battle of the breakdown without competing massive numbers, as BOD noted, but due to Saints' anticipated targeting of the breakdown next week, we will have to compete more numbers. The end result is slower ball for both sides and more penalties (especially with Garces as referee). The tempo will be slower, it will be more of an arm wrestle. I expect more little knock-ons around rucks too, so more scrums. Good defence and a kicking game become more important, thankfully both went well for us tonight.

The above and Saints' general anger leads me to think that next week's match will have fewer tries, and be generally closer. Still think we'll get the win, to win the match head to head 9-1 on group points. Wouldn't have said no to that 24 hours ago!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Bury em boys, Northampton are the school yard bullies of the PRL and today they picked on the wrong side,

More of the same next week, give em nothing just keep the same level of performance and youll hammer them again!

If I was a leinster player I'd want the game to played tomorrow so I don't have to a week to run all over them again
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

We have to win this match and not do an ulster on it. Having said that while you would have to expect a backlash the gulf in class between the two sides yesterday was huge. Before the game I might have taken 4 or 5 players from their side such as Hartley, lawes, and Dickinson but not now. So not sure they have enough in them even if they want to get a bit of revenge. Certainly from reading the saints forum their fans have given up on the hec for this year.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Thinking of next Saturday when I watched (again) the body language of the Saints players who had been substituted. Some with hands in head, some with heads down, none looking at game with a view to how to fix it in a week's time. Mallinder and West have a huge task on their hands getting volunteers to go over the top with expectation of any success in six days time.

If Leinster can start for the first quarter with the pace and aggression we had at any time last night, we should be able to do another number on them, plus we will definitely have a 16th man playing for us and looking forward to a Christmas present.

Jamie have never looked so steely-eyed as Leinster Captain as he looked last night and BO'D's interview made it clear the entire Squad is on a mission, build on what we have started!

Huge congrats to Matt O'Connor for tactical and emotional preparation. Joe is a tough act to follow, but that performance was up with Toulouse 2006 and follows two previous get-the-job-done victories against Ospreys and Castres. Pretty impressive work.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

concerned over possible injuries - I gather Church will be out for longer than a week so I dont think he will feature - SoB was on crutches when he came over after the match, but lets hope that is just a precaution. BoD seemed to have a bit of a limp too, but we know that he is basically bionic, so i'm sure he will be there. Its missing SoB that worries me the most, although Jenno was awesome as a replacement. Not counting any chickens for next week as Saints are a good side and I cannot see us getting the same freedoms from the French ref either.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

mikey wrote:although Jenno was awesome as a replacement.
Jenno left the field on 76 mins holding his forearm meaning we finished with 14 here's hoping its nothing too serious and he's available next Saturday.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dom Ryan has been on good form. Going into the match without Locky, Sean, and Jenno is challenging.But at least Heaslip will be there to keep the discipline and the head.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I'll be happy if MOC can get 15 on the field at all.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

locho wrote:
Jenno left the field on 76 mins holding his forearm meaning we finished with 14 here's hoping its nothing too serious and he's available next Saturday.

he seemed fine afterwards - did not see any strapping etc when we saw him an hour or so after the game - did not spot he went off at 76 - was too delirious !!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

mikey wrote:
locho wrote:

he seemed fine afterwards - did not see any strapping etc when we saw him an hour or so after the game - did not spot he went off at 76 - was too delirious !!!
Jennings seemed to be still on at the end. Thought it was Ruddock off.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Where to go from this weekend. Almost a complete performance, perhaps the most amazing piece of play was Leo, Bent et al giving everything to protect the try line as if we were defending a 4 point lead in the 79th minute rather than being 33-0 up. Incredible stuff but you don't expect anything else from these lads.

Jamie in taking his try with killer professionalism silenced every critic he's had this season and last. Were you watching that George Hook?

Jenno, SOB, Healy would be a loss to any side but all in positions we have guys chomping at the bit to step up and what a headache to have.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

When you think of the size of that pack we were up against but that losing Healy before kick off and SOB early on really didn't make much of a difference...that's hugely impressive. They'd be the first names on the team sheet against a team like that for me.

Incredible performance, wouldn't even know where to start in terms of praising individuals, it'd also take way too long. We were absolutely savage at the breakdown from 1-23. You expect it from the pack but it was right throughout the team. The workrate and attitude to do that was exceptional. That ensured Northampton were on the backfoot all game or perhaps more accurately that they were just never in it.

Again I don't want to single people out but I will say that Ruddock must be on Joe's radar now and was delighted for Luke.

RE the Jennings things above. He looked in agony initially but stayed on and pretty sure the back row was himself, Jamie, and Kirchner for a scrum near the end.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Thinking of next Saturday when I watched (again) the body language of the Saints players who had been substituted. Some with hands in head, some with heads down, none looking at game with a view to how to fix it in a week's time. Mallinder and West have a huge task on their hands getting volunteers to go over the top with expectation of any success in six days time.

If Leinster can start for the first quarter with the pace and aggression we had at any time last night, we should be able to do another number on them, plus we will definitely have a 16th man playing for us and looking forward to a Christmas present.

Jamie have never looked so steely-eyed as Leinster Captain as he looked last night and BO'D's interview made it clear the entire Squad is on a mission, build on what we have started!

Huge congrats to Matt O'Connor for tactical and emotional preparation. Joe is a tough act to follow, but that performance was up with Toulouse 2006 and follows two previous get-the-job-done victories against Ospreys and Castres. Pretty impressive work.
On that last bit. Congrats to Mick Dawson et al who now look to have hired very well three times in a row. That kind of thing doesn't happen by accident.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Sunday Times saying today that MOC has said SOB will be fine for next week. No news on Healy, but I'd be optimistic given his withdrawl was fairly late. No news on Jennings. BOD will be grand realistically.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!