Leinster v. Castres

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v. Castres

Post by wixfjord »

Need to keep the momentum going after the excellent Ospreys performance, some key selection headaches for MOC too.

Depending on Ross' fitness (hopefully he can at least make the bench, or Bent can come back in), this could be a tough one. Castres are powerful, Kockott is the form 9 in Europe and the've some albeit they're not great away from home and scraped past Northampton.

Here's what Castres had out at the weekend:
Castres Olympique: G Palis; R Martial, R Cabannes, R Lamerat, M Evans; R Tales (captain), R Kockott; M Lazar, B Mach (M-A Rallier 70), A Peikrishvili (K Wihongi 50), R Gray, R Capo Ortega, J Bornman, P Faasalele (P Wannenburg 58), A Claassen.

Not exactly full strength, but plenty of bulk. Gray had a good game and Claassen, Mach and Tales are quality players.

For us, I'd go for something like:

Healy
Cronin
Ross/Moore
Toner
Mike Mac
Locky
SOB
Heaslip
Boss
Madigan
Fitz
Darce
BOD
DK
RK

McGrath
Dundon
Ross/Moore
Roux
Ruddock
Reddan
Gopperth
MCF

Harsh on McFadden, but think Luke added a bit when he came in on Sat, and DK is undroppable for me at the minute. No place for ZK yet.

Key selections though are TH and 10.
For me, this is a game for Madser to be let loose, but would maintain Boss at 9. Definitely a case for keeping the current incumbents at 9/10 though.

Who would we go for in the case of Ross being injured?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v. Castres

Post by bluemagic »

Madser should definitely come in. We don't want to play the same style of play we played against ospreys and Madser brings something different, especially if we have bod back in and now all of a sudden that back line looks a lot more creative. I think talk of try bp is premature, casters are a top team but we should be set out to score, not to contain.

Agree completely about ZK no point bringing him in yet. We're already going to have a very handy player on the bench
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Was impressed by Roux and Ruddock's contribution on Sat too. Both are big, powerful fellas to bring on, along with big Jack, and all three should be critical against a big Castres pack.

While Ruddock is not Locky yet, he's a very handy fella to bring on, and insanely still only 22. Some future ahead of him.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The only other TH we have declared in our European squad is Furlong so if Ross is out he’ll probably bench.

Castres have had some horror shows on the road this year, lost 34-0 to Brive. Feeling confident about this one.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Castres will offer more of the what you faced and over come on Saturday, A big powerful pack, with a strong set piece (albeit with more control from the half backs).

However you more than coped with that on the weekend and with home advantage plus hopefully the return of BOD I can only see one winner.

In fact if you get an early try and you keep playing with the intensity you did Saturday I can Castres heads going down and you guys even getting a BP.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Mickado wrote:The only other TH we have declared in our European squad is Furlong so if Ross is out he’ll probably bench.

Castres have had some horror shows on the road this year, lost 34-0 to Brive. Feeling confident about this one.
Furlong is out too though as far as I'm aware? Think Burke Flynn played for the As at the weekend?

Wonder is Simon Shawe still avail?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

wixfjord wrote:
Mickado wrote:The only other TH we have declared in our European squad is Furlong so if Ross is out he’ll probably bench.

Furlong is out too though as far as I'm aware? Think Burke Flynn played for the As at the weekend?

Wonder is Simon Shawe still avail?
Can we bring them in if they're not in the hc squad?
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

from the ERC Website

3 A minimum of six front row players must be included in each match squad such that on the first occasion that a replacement is required in each position, a replacement can be made. Where uncontested scrums are ordered due to the departure of a front row player and there is no suitable replacement, the player whose departure caused the uncontested scrums may not be replaced (i.e. the club will be required to play with 14 players).

3.4 In order to reduce the possibility of uncontested scrums, each club may also nominate further front row players, referred to as 'Emergency Front Row players', who may be registered with ERC on a match-by-match basis provided that all necessary details of the players have been submitted before 12 noon (GMT) on 19 September 2013. The provision for the nomination of Emergency Front Row players is not intended to allow clubs to improve the quality of their squads, and is designed to cater for illness and/or injury in the relevant positions. The players added to squads will typically come from a club's academy or similar.

3.5 Each club may register up to two additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers two additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament. Additional player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Tuesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant additional players) during the pool stage.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

McFadden was one of our best players in the backline. No way I would drop him. As you were in the backline, injuries permitting, would be my call. I'd bring in Roux for McCarthy and would start Moore with Ross on the bench, pumped full of painkillers and anti-inflammatories! O'Connor will start McCarthy though, I'd be pretty sure.

I'd have no difficulty with the decision to start Madigan instead, if that call was made. I wouldn't muck with the rest of the backline though. Keep Kirchner for the following week.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'd like to see ZK involved in some capacity. The danger is that he'll be called up by the Boks again so will have very limited time to get up to speed with his team mates ahead of the Northampton double header. Any game time will be beneficial for him down the line.

Hard to drop any of the back line. Macken was probably the quietest but he was efficient and was against a pretty decent centre combination. I'd like to see him persevered with.

If we are to go with a horses for courses approach, there's a strong case for Madigan starting this one. If we can secure an early try, Castres heads could drop fairly quickly. They've been pretty brutal on the road this season.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bent is in the HEC squad too. If Moore is the only fit tight-head available, then one of O'Connell or McGrath will be back-up tight-head.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Lots of mention of the fact that Castres haven't been good on the road. That's because all French teams send a different team for the away games to try to get a losing bonus point and don't really care as long as they win their home games. Afterall the aim is just to get into the end of season playoffs (if you win your home games you've a great chance of that). The HEC is a different matter so we don't know what team will travel.
After watching the game at their game at the weekend, it is clear they've a physically large side. Some of the collisions in the game were immense. I'm sure they hope to impose themselves on Leinster the way that Clermont did in the Aviva last season and after their first win they are very much still in this competition. Traditionally they lose interest in the later group rounds if their chance of qualifying is slim.
Will Leinster try to play without the ball like they did successfully did against the O's? Do we know who is going to ref the breakdown? How bad is Ross's injury?
Delighted with the win at the weekend - great to see the hunger and aggression return, but concerning that before the game I thought the attacking talents of the A side were more exciting than the backline picked.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

jezzer wrote:McFadden was one of our best players in the backline. No way I would drop him. As you were in the backline, injuries permitting, would be my call. I'd bring in Roux for McCarthy and would start Moore with Ross on the bench, pumped full of painkillers and anti-inflammatories! O'Connor will start McCarthy though, I'd be pretty sure.

I'd have no difficulty with the decision to start Madigan instead, if that call was made. I wouldn't muck with the rest of the backline though. Keep Kirchner for the following week.
Sorry disagree with that tbh. Thought McFadden was quiet enough, kicking from hand wasn't great either.
Also, don't know how he could be called 'one of our best players in the backline'! Surely both Kearneys, Darce and the halfback partnership had better games.

Wouldn't drop Mike Mac either, thought he had one of his best games in blue at the weekend and Roux isn't experienced enough to go up against Gray and Ortega yet.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

wixfjord wrote:
jezzer wrote:McFadden was one of our best players in the backline. No way I would drop him. As you were in the backline, injuries permitting, would be my call. I'd bring in Roux for McCarthy and would start Moore with Ross on the bench, pumped full of painkillers and anti-inflammatories! O'Connor will start McCarthy though, I'd be pretty sure.

Sorry disagree with that tbh. Thought McFadden was quiet enough, kicking from hand wasn't great either.
Also, don't know how he could be called 'one of our best players in the backline'! Surely both Kearneys, Darce and the halfback partnership had better games.

Wouldn't drop Mike Mac either, thought he had one of his best games in blue at the weekend and Roux isn't experienced enough to go up against Gray and Ortega yet.
He had one dodgy up and under, but other than that played very well I thought.

Mike Mac was ruck inspecting for half an hour. Toner must have put in twice the shift that Mike did and Toner isn't as mobile. I say that as a compliment to Toner probably more than a criticism of McCarthy, but I hardly saw the guy in the second half before he was called ashore.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

jezzer wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

He had one dodgy up and under, but other than that played very well I thought.
ESPN has him as our top tackler, 14 made and none missed. I know they're wrong sometimes but still, he did defend well.

Incidentally, they also have Cronin as our best carrier (in terms of meters run).
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

ribs wrote:Lots of mention of the fact that Castres haven't been good on the road. That's because all French teams send a different team for the away games to try to get a losing bonus point and don't really care as long as they win their home games. Afterall the aim is just to get into the end of season playoffs (if you win your home games you've a great chance of that). The HEC is a different matter so we don't know what team will travel.
They've sent solid on the road but their mindset is (as is the case in general in France) that away wins are as rare as hen's teeth. The last team they sent to Brive had 13 of their starting side at the weekend in the 23. Weakened, yes but still a good side. They were thumped 34-0 by one of the weaker sides in the T14. There's more to it than just leaving out some of the stars.

If we hit them hard and early, we could see their heads drop. It will be brutal up front. As you say, the collisions were huge and they do not shirk the game physically. They've some big lumps in the back line too so we'll need to make our first tackles count but that could also benefit someone like Madigan and his quick feet on the gain line.

All in all, I'd be hugely disappointed if we didn't win this one. The manner of the victory depends on how they approach the game and how the opening quarter goes.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Mickado wrote:

ESPN has him as our top tackler, 14 made and none missed. I know they're wrong sometimes but still, he did defend well.

Incidentally, they also have Cronin as our best carrier (in terms of meters run).
Wow wouldn't have had him as top tackler, that's immense for a winger.
Must re-watch and keep an eye, thought he was quiet personally, and thought DK did well, but maybe that was because DK did more 'showpiece' work.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Gopperth has to start. I'm sorry but the H-Cup isn't the time to experiment with the selection. As much as I like Madigan it's his own fault - he's had the entire preseason to work on the aspects of his game that he's missing, i.e his kicking game and his control of a game and his ability to pull the strings in the backline. He's still way off there and Gopperth put in a masterclass in all those aspects on Saturday.

I'd be happy to see Madigan start, just for the sake of Madigan, but for the sake of Leinster winning I want Gopperth to start.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

AdamK wrote:Gopperth has to start. I'm sorry but the H-Cup isn't the time to experiment with the selection. As much as I like Madigan it's his own fault - he's had the entire preseason to work on the aspects of his game that he's missing, i.e his kicking game and his control of a game and his ability to pull the strings in the backline. He's still way off there and Gopperth put in a masterclass in all those aspects on Saturday.

I'd be happy to see Madigan start, just for the sake of Madigan, but for the sake of Leinster winning I want Gopperth to start.
Ah here, not that's an OTT post if ever I saw one.

Gopperth put in a masterclass in pulling the strings in the backline on Sat?!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Gopperth was excellent but if we want to attack Castres and try to turn the screw, I'd like Madigan on from the start. It's not dropping Gopperth for his showing, it's selecting a guy who offers something very different in terms of his attacking game and is probably a better tackler against a side that have a few 100kg+ backs in their ranks.