PRO12 Munster v Leinster Sat 5th Oct KO 6.45pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: PRO12 Munster v Leinster Sat 5th Oct KO 6.45pm

Post by TerenureJim »

Sort of seperate to the match discussion but does anyone know why we gave up the Lansdowne Rd element of this head to head. It's good to see the schedule change up and I had assumed that we'd meet them in Lasndowne in March but Thornley is reporting the return fixture will be in the RDS this year. Seems a bit of an odd call to only have one scheduled game in Lansdowne (HEC against Saints) or am I missing something and we're going to have Ulster down as our nominated Pro12 game there this season instead?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If Darce is out them I'd prefer Ferg in the centre assuming that Lote and Luke really are fit again and one of them could play on the wing. The more physicality we have for a game in Thomond, the better IMO.

I know he's been heavily criticised for his defence so this kind of flies in the face of my physicality comment but I'd also be tempted to play Macken with Bod. They've played together before (albeit briefly) and looked good and his defence is definitely improving. Munster's attack isn't the most intimidating proposition so I think he'd cope and love the idea of him coming through a big game like this having played well, he'd suddenly be a more viable option to start big games throughout the season. If he doesn't play well then we have plenty of options to change things and you'd assume Darce will be fit for next week given that he was able to do some training this week.

I think Munster would find it easier to expose Gopperth at ten than Macken beside Bod in the centre, hence why I'd still consider it despite saying we need physicality.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

TerenureJim wrote:Sort of seperate to the match discussion but does anyone know why we gave up the Lansdowne Rd element of this head to head. It's good to see the schedule change up and I had assumed that we'd meet them in Lasndowne in March but Thornley is reporting the return fixture will be in the RDS this year. Seems a bit of an odd call to only have one scheduled game in Lansdowne (HEC against Saints) or am I missing something and we're going to have Ulster down as our nominated Pro12 game there this season instead?
Probably just an oversight. David Kelly thinks last years game was in the RDS so it's not unknown... :wink:
Dont Panic!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:Sort of seperate to the match discussion but does anyone know why we gave up the Lansdowne Rd element of this head to head. It's good to see the schedule change up and I had assumed that we'd meet them in Lasndowne in March but Thornley is reporting the return fixture will be in the RDS this year. Seems a bit of an odd call to only have one scheduled game in Lansdowne (HEC against Saints) or am I missing something and we're going to have Ulster down as our nominated Pro12 game there this season instead?
As I said earlier. This week switched to Thomond to save IRFU blushes v Samoa.

My guess is..... If we are in a home qf in the HC the Munster game (week before) will be played in the RDS.

If we are away or [Aaaaaargh]Don't qualify[/Aaaaaargh] Then there is a possibility we may consider Lansdowne rd.

We won't sell it out 2 weeks in a row in April.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:
As I said earlier. This week switched to Thomond to save IRFU blushes v Samoa.

My guess is..... If we are in a home qf in the HC the Munster game (week before) will be played in the RDS.

If we are away or [Aaaaaargh]Don't qualify[/Aaaaaargh] Then there is a possibility we may consider Lansdowne rd.

We won't sell it out 2 weeks in a row in April.
Which is my point in terms of why give up one of the big money days at Lansdowne. Hope we get a run out against Munster/Ulster there this year, bit silly to loose the day off the calander.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
Which is my point in terms of why give up one of the big money days at Lansdowne. Hope we get a run out against Munster/Ulster there this year, bit silly to loose the day off the calander.
So given we had to switch this weeks game down south, and the Munster home game is the week before a possible HC QF what do you suggest?

Only other possibility would have been Ulster on the 28th of Dec. But sure that is a fortnight after the Northampton game in LR.......
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
So given we had to switch this weeks game down south, and the Munster home game is the week before a possible HC QF what do you suggest?

Only other possibility would have been Ulster on the 28th of Dec. But sure that is a fortnight after the Northampton game in LR.......
I know it's a real catch 22, and a bloody shame that a payday for the branch and the union has been lost. To be honest I don't think it's a bad thing that the schedule has been changed up especially since the Stadium's continued use as a concert venue in mid-late September has seen the pitch in rag order when we move to play Munster there in October for a couple of seasons now. So this way at least it gets more time to recover before the AI games.

The 28th December game is very close after the Saints game but the ticket could make an excellent Christmas present for both Leinster and Ulster fans, lots of people North and South will be off work and looking for something to do in the post Stephens/pre New Years quiet time. Plus Ulster have only played in Lansdowne the once when they were in the HEC semi season before last. It could sell if promoted and priced effectively.

Other alternatives would be one of the January HEC home game or maybe home Connacht game (another derby and generally tough opposition for us) although might be too soon for them in terms of fanbase numbers, would be great to see it though.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Munster in "Naming their team a day early" shocker. :shock:

Munster: Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilycoyne, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Donncha Ryan, Paul O’Connell; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Niall Ronan, James Coughlan. Replacements: Damien Varley, James Cronin, BJ Botha, Donncha O’Callaghan, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Can't help but notice one name in particular that's missing from that 23.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
Other alternatives would be one of the January HEC home game
Ospreys? Are yah mad or wha? (there is only one by the way) Their supporters don't travel, and we will play them AT LEAST 4 times this season.

There ARE no other alternatives.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:Can't help but notice one name in particular that's missing from that 23.
Not saying his name, but his initials are Andrew Conway........
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Thornley just obviously read the pro12 website. Which just states RDs until the venue is decided. Like all the games are in Thomond, but actually some will be in musgrave.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Can't help but notice one name in particular that's missing from that 23.
Luke Fitzgerald?

From an Ireland point of view I'm delighted that Ryan is back.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Luke Fitzgerald?
Bastid gone and signed for Munster after all? Stone him!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
Maybe I'm talking about Johne Murphy..... :shock:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Fairly confident you're not :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:Munster in "Naming their team a day early" shocker. :shock:

Munster: Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams :D ; Dave Kilycoyne, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Donncha Ryan, Paul O’Connell; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Niall Ronan, James Coughlan. Replacements: Damien Varley, James Cronin, BJ Botha, Donncha O’Callaghan, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.
defensively its not a great backline, would back Madigan in a kicking duel with keatley too
Laulala can shoot up, for all the lazy writing Downey has his weaknesses defensively, wouldnt run into him but he can fall off tackles and is slow in open play
Jones' positioning not the best and Earls is very prone to being sucked inside
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote: Jones' positioning not the best and Earls is very prone to being sucked inside
Would yah leave it out with the Murray Zebo stuff. It's getting a bit old now.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Jones' positioning not the best and Earls is very prone to being sucked inside
Would yah leave it out with the Murray Zebo stuff. It's getting a bit old now.
:lol: :lol:
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
Is he injured?