Leinster v Cardiff

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster v Cardiff

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:Happy enough otherwise.

Fairly serious Cardiff team on paper. Esp the back row. If they put in an effort (which they'd focking HAVE TO after losing at home to Zebre) we could be in trouble.

Give me 4 points and an entertaining game. I'll stagger home happy.
They were serious ON PAPER last season too. 59 points and 9 tries later......
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Don't disagree at all. But you can't just accept that they will be that bad again. (At least until AFTER the game)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Johng Cardiff havent had a serious team since all their players had massive sideburns, or 4 years ago whatever
Theyve an even weaker team than last years massacre, no Roberts, Davies, Tom James

They match us in the back 3 and thats about it
Centres, Halfbacks, every forward unit and bench we're ahead

McGrath, Ross, Cooney and Murphy will make for some nice impact with 20 or so minutes left
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

After the try-scoring exploits of the first two weeks, last week's game against Glasgow brought Leinster's mood back down to earth. The result in itself wasn't a disgrace, nabbing a losing bonus point away to Glasgow isn't so bad given how much the Scots have improved in recent years. However Leinster's self-assessment process is far too honest for them to take much comfort from that as even the losing bonus point was largely down to Glasgow's almost comically bad place-kicking. It resembled the early episodes of the X-Factor as a succession of kickers came up to take their turn to miss, each player doing worse than the last. It denied Glasgow the comfortable victory they deserved, even though they themselves were far from their best.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

simonokeeffe wrote: McGrath, Ross, Cooney and Murphy will make for some nice impact with 20 or so minutes left
Is that Cooney the same scrum half who had a bullet-like pass in the early part of last season?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

QBer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: McGrath, Ross, Cooney and Murphy will make for some nice impact with 20 or so minutes left
Is that Cooney the same scrum half who had a bullet-like pass in the early part of last season?
thats the one
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Johng Cardiff havent had a serious team since all their players had massive sideburns, or 4 years ago whatever
Theyve an even weaker team than last years massacre, no Roberts, Davies, Tom James

They match us in the back 3 and thats about it
Centres, Halfbacks, every forward unit and bench we're ahead

McGrath, Ross, Cooney and Murphy will make for some nice impact with 20 or so minutes left

Throw into the mix their porous defence and frankly their lack of fight when it comes to digging in away from home you should be heading for a BP win.

One thing to watch out for is Rees ability to strike for the ball against the head, he is one of the few hookers who played in the era when you had to actually strike for the ball and his still very adept at it (not much use when your pack is going back at a rate of knots though!)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I like the team we're putting out this week. Wasn't at all happy with last week's team and still unsure whether Denton is getting ahead of Marshall because of injury or 'ability', but it's a well-balanced outfit. Three 22 year olds in the pack in Marty Moore, Rhys and Quinn Roux, as well as the 23 year old Dom Ryan. Hopefully all four will be significant contributors this year.

As others have noted, Noel Reid being given a good chance to shine in a strong backline – Madigan and Boss inside him, O'Driscoll and McFadden outside him. I don't think anybody is sold on Reid's consistency at this level, but I've seen him tear up teams in the B&I Cup with midfield breaks and good hands, and he's got a good kicking game as well. His major flaws are obviously his decision-making, his wishy-washy defense and a few confidence issues, so it'll be interesting to see how composed he is in midfield.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:Johng Cardiff havent had a serious team since all their players had massive sideburns,
1905?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Johng Cardiff havent had a serious team since all their players had massive sideburns,
1905?
Was it that recent?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote: a few confidence issues,
Under-confidence or over-confidence?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:
hugonaut wrote: a few confidence issues,
Under-confidence or over-confidence?
A very strange combination of both actually...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:
johng wrote:
1905?
Was it that recent?
yeah I remember it as was Martyn Williams first season

@JB interesting re Rees, dont rate props either side of him though and locks arent monsters either

For our own lineout D. Ryan is very good and gives us 5 options then although Roux may be used more as a lifter

@Hugo I think youre right re Reid, lots of proven performers around him so does he play his natural game or try too hard? cant see him retreating into his shell either way though. Same with Madigan re HC and Ireland places
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Does Moores selection indicate that he is threatening Mike Ross for the tighthead position? Ross looks like he could do with more games. From an Ireland point of view its an interesting one.

Reid is another interesting selection. I like him from what I have seen of him, I think himself and BOD could be a good combination.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

dropkick wrote:Does Moores selection indicate that he is threatening Mike Ross for the tighthead position? Ross looks like he could do with more games. From an Ireland point of view its an interesting one.

Reid is another interesting selection. I like him from what I have seen of him, I think himself and BOD could be a good combination.
Under the IRFU player management programme Ross can only start so many games and he's already started two. Moore struggled a bit against the Scarlets but with the Blues scrum pretty ordinary, my guess is that the management will take a chance on him here. Ross will be back for the next three weeks so he'll get plenty of games.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Would any of you good people have a link for a UK resident please?

EDIT: scrap that, thought it was on RTE but just found it on BBC Wales
Last edited by brummie-leinster-man on September 27th, 2013, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

sorry guys...I'm in the same boat as brummie-leinster-lad here in london....anyone got a link...I think twomint has retired
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:sorry guys...I'm in the same boat as brummie-leinster-lad here in london....anyone got a link...I think twomint has retired
Ive just found it on BBC red button :D
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

am on freeview.....feck.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

that was beautiful