Leinster @ Glasgow, 20 Sep 2013

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

PCASEY
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster @ Glasgow, 20 Sep 2013

Post by PCASEY »

johng wrote:We can't play that bad again.

Cardiff lost at home to Zebre

We play them next week in the RDS

We could see Drico O'Brien and Heaslip introduced.

Any more positives?
Drico O'Brien? Is he a new signing, sounds like he could be good...
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

putrid performance. Losing bp far more than we deserved. Too many players took the night off mentally.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Jennings got injured right in front of me and I managed to miss what happened :? Looked like he was holding his thumb and wrist but it didn't look good. LT looked like he tweaked his hammer from the way the physio was making him stretch then he went off.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A positive from these games is that we've taken 8 points from what we thought at the beginning of the season would be three of the toughest fixtures against teams that were predicted to be challenging for the title at the end of the season. This time last season after three fixtures we had 9 points, but that included games against Dragons and Treviso - we still have those, ostensibly, softer fixtures to come whilst we have a couple of toughies done and dusted.
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote:A positive from these games is that we've taken 8 points from what we thought at the beginning of the season would be three of the toughest fixtures against teams that were predicted to be challenging for the title at the end of the season. This time last season after three fixtures we had 9 points, but that included games against Dragons and Treviso - we still have those, ostensibly, softer fixtures to come whilst we have a couple of toughies done and dusted.
Your in for a surprise if you think Treviso is an easy game. They just keep getting better and better.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah we barely got out of dodge with our arse intact last year in Treviso.

We burgled a last minute dropper thanks to Dev and Jonny Sex.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Keith wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:A positive from these games is that we've taken 8 points from what we thought at the beginning of the season would be three of the toughest fixtures against teams that were predicted to be challenging for the title at the end of the season. This time last season after three fixtures we had 9 points, but that included games against Dragons and Treviso - we still have those, ostensibly, softer fixtures to come whilst we have a couple of toughies done and dusted.
Your in for a surprise if you think Treviso is an easy game. They just keep getting better and better.
I did say ostensibly, and we're playing Treviso in Italy during the AIs which will stretch their (what I reckon to be shallow) squad depth considerably.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Kicks off at exactly the same time as Ireland v NZ
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

It's not just the scrum where Ross needs to buck up. He looked only half interested around the park last night. Some on here are to fast to criticise the Dentons, Fannings, Mackens etc, but a senior player like Ross needs to stand up and be counted in games like last night. It's the Leinster way.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

It's not just the scrum where Ross needs to buck up. He looked only half interested around the park last night. Some on here are fast to criticise the Dentons, Fannings, Mackens etc, but a senior player like Ross needs to stand up and be counted in games like last night. It's the Leinster way.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What the Jocks wrote:
In front of a capacity crowd at Scotstoun, the Warriors continued their unbeaten start to the season with a monumental victory over reigning RaboDirect PRO12 champions, Leinster. Tries from Fusaro and Yanuyanutawa allowed Glasgow to win their opening three games for the first time since 2002.

In a turgid first half, the Warriors ground down a determined visiting side to lead at half time before exerting pressure and grinding out a famous win. Townsend made a number of changes from the side that defeated Ulster at the death last week.

Chris Cusiter made his first start for the club since September 2012 after spending almost a year on the sidelines. The Warriors coach was forced into a late change with the try scorer against Cardiff Blues, Tommy Seymour, replaced DTH van der Merwe who fell ill before kick off. Leinster also had a surprise inclusion in their starting 15 with Aussie giant, Lote Tuqiri starting on the wing. The Wallaby didn’t last long though, being replaced by Rob Kearney on the half hour mark.

In what was a scrappy opening, both teams were unable to make any decisive line breaks with Leinster proving to be a streetwise side and defensively strong. After 23 minutes, Leinster were awarded their first kickable penalty close to the half way line and Leinster fly half, Jimmy Gopparth made no mistake in putting the away side 3-0 up.

Shortly after, Glasgow were awarded a penalty of their own on the right flank but Stuart Hogg skewed the difficult kick wide of the posts.The British and Irish Lions back had a frustrating first half in front of the sticks and missed a penalty after 32 minutes from the halfway line. Leinster suffered a set back before half time with their captain, Shane Jennings having to retire injured.

Despite a turgid first period, the Warriors battled hard and notched a try with two minutes remaining. Having pressured the Leinster line, the home side were rewarded by Chris Fusaro who crossed the whitewash. Stuart Hogg then added the extras shortly before the half time whistle. Half time: Glasgow Warriors 7-3 Leinster

Early in the second period Mark Bennett stepped up to take a penalty after 50 minutes for Glasgow. The centre gave the ball an almighty thump but saw it agonisingly hit the under side of the crossbar.

After 59 minutes, Leinster notched a penalty from distance with McGuigan and Strauss replacing Hogg and Fusaro shortly after the ball went over the sticks. With just one point in it, Glasgow piled forward in front of a raucous support and were rewarded with a penalty wide on the right. Ruaridh Jackson stepped up and smacked it wide of the target.

The game was on a knife edge as the final whistle neared with Glasgow pouring forward as Warrior Nation rose to their feet to cheer on the team. As they mounted pressure on the Leinster try line, substitute, Yanuyanutawa rampaged his way over the whitewash to give the Warriors a six point cushion going into the dying moments. The home side held on to secure their first home victory over Leinster in three years.
No sign of any hysterical reaction to a performance that rated a much bigger win. Warriors are definitely a side who will be very difficult to contain for the remainder of the Season and with wins already against us and Ulster we are going to need teams like Ospreys (29 Nov), and Dragons (22 Nov)to do them some harm during the AI and 6N
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I only saw the 2nd half but didn't look like a Leinster performance at all, no energy and no tempo in your play and for the first time in ages you offered very little in attack
Glasgow merited their win, their driving game and inter passing in the forwards was excellent and Strauss when he came on looked like a real handful. Also they were very assured in defence and didn't look in trouble at any stage, they will be in the play offs for sure. If they get a home tie they will expect to beat anyone however they really need to sort out their kicking if they want to win trophys.

As for you guys it's not all doom and gloom to be that much second best and still get a losing BP at the home of a top side is a testament to your grit and ability in defence . However you need your ball carriers back in the team asap and if I was a Leinster coach I would start Healy SOB and Heaslip at the weekend.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

was turgid viewing...I have nothing but respect fro Glasgow, very confident side, but they are making the breakdown a bit of a joke - my reckoning properly reffed they would be blown off the pitch.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Bogger wrote: my reckoning properly reffed they would be blown off the pitch.
Any team that Leinster struggle against look really illegal at ruck time. Is that the ref's issue or Leinster's issue? I imagine that Gibbes isn't placing all the blame on the ref.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Morf wrote:
Bogger wrote: my reckoning properly reffed they would be blown off the pitch.
Any team that Leinster struggle against look really illegal at ruck time. Is that the ref's issue or Leinster's issue? I imagine that Gibbes isn't placing all the blame on the ref.
Unsure about that, its based on watching Glasgow against Ulster also - they have targeted that area and again I think they bend/bent the law to the limits. ANyway, if they can get away with it so be it.