D4TRESS sign offensive ?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: D4TRESS sign offensive ?

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:The lewd x-rated "Sexton On Fire" on the other hand... filth!
I've heard that sign was nothing to do with the OLSC but was really his Mrs. putting out false advertising about VD to scare away the type of person who stands at the top of Grafton St. holding a giant mobile phone/bananna/cheque/pineapple etc. in November and is known as the "Irish Model" from getting their nails stuck into him in Coppers/Krystle
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

This Ger boyo on newstalk referred to Irelands cricket ground tonight as "fortress Malahide". I didn't get the sense he found the term insulting at all. So its just D4 that he seems to have a problem with then.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:This Ger boyo on newstalk referred to Irelands cricket ground tonight as "fortress Malahide". I didn't get the sense he found the term insulting at all. So its just D4 that he seems to have a problem with then.
Really? When resident I shifted my share of pints in Malahide CC and the place was full of drunks. Might have changed in the interim though.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I think they have a new 10K stadium and england are coming over for the opening game.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I think they have a new 10K stadium and england are coming over for the opening game.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:I think they have a new 10K stadium and england are coming over for the opening game.
Swings and roundabouts so. :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I think anybody who feels alienated by the D4tress sign is misunderstanding its purpose.

It refers to the postcode of the stadium, not the postcode of the fans.

I believe the author is a Kildare man, so perhaps those on the fringes of Leinster support might see it as elitest or something, but I hope that isn't the case.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

I think part of it is that people do genuinely see Leinster as not a D4 team any longer.
A few people that are far more animated about this would point out its something Leinster have worked to get away from. I dont personally think its a great pun.

Part of the sell in the last few years has been the 12 county idea, whereas in the past rightly or wrongly there was a public perception of Leinster as a D4 team. (Insert criticism of media, etc here)

Fair enough you can argue people may misunderstand it, but why bother having it if its open to misinterpretation? Typically with large companies if an advert dosent work it gets dropped, so I guess the question is whether the D4tress sign is working as a slogan. If your getting negative PR for it, then possibly not. Then again, a few are here defending it, so maybe it is....

(then again, this debate is really one for a quiet day with nothing else on - more importantly whats the wordplay if Tuqiri joins!!)
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

D4 is an area Dublin, which itself is part of Leinster. I think its offensive to say that the sign D4TRESS is offensive. It suggests that the D4 area and the people that live there are offensive.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:D4 is an area Dublin, which itself is part of Leinster. I think its offensive to say that the sign D4TRESS is offensive. It suggests that the D4 area and the people that live there are offensive.
Especially when exactly the opposite is true. They are quite mild mannered and don't like to "make a show of themselves" in public. :lol:
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

COYBIB wrote:I think anybody who feels alienated by the D4tress sign is misunderstanding its purpose.

It refers to the postcode of the stadium, not the postcode of the fans.

I believe the author is a Kildare man, so perhaps those on the fringes of Leinster support might see it as elitest or something, but I hope that isn't the case.
People see what they what or in this case need to see. A more interesting sociology question is why some people need to see Leinster in this way.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Load of b*%&!cks saying that it is offensive, I actually think it is quite clever.
TheMenace
Learner

Post by TheMenace »

The topic of this thread is offensive.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

There was a time when we actually gave a fock about these kind of comments. Then we won 3 European Cups and now we don't. People can think what they like we really don't have to apologise for who or what we are or in this case where our ground is located. Anyway, the D4 stereotype is bollixology and anybody who has half a clue knows that.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

TheMenace wrote:The topic of this thread is offensive.
Won't somebody think of the children?!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Flash Gordon wrote:There was a time when we actually gave a fock about these kind of comments. Then we won 3 European Cups and now we don't. People can think what they like we really don't have to apologise for who or what we are or in this case where our ground is located. Anyway, the D4 stereotype is bollixology and anybody who has half a clue knows that.
:clap:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Flash Gordon wrote:There was a time when we actually gave a fock about these kind of comments. Then we won 3 European Cups and now we don't. People can think what they like we really don't have to apologise for who or what we are or in this case where our ground is located. Anyway, the D4 stereotype is bollixology and anybody who has half a clue knows that.
+1