D4TRESS sign offensive ?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: D4TRESS sign offensive ?

Post by artaneboy »

+2

I think some are being very picky in condemning the presenters of both shows and the shows themselves. They have their irksome moments (I agree on that PBreso cr@p) but the shows and the presenters are still a step-change improvement on what went before. And remember they are still both only finding their feet following a massive row.

Yer man Cian on Newstalk is of the old 'string of clichés' school and is a weak link in now having an enhanced role on OTB. Don't agree on Parkinson being ill-informed, he knows as much about other sports as most of us here. I enjoy his slightly on the edge approach- much like I enjoy that of the Blues Talk TV presenters! :wink: You could more accurately say that Ken Early knew nothing about any other sport other than soccer- or 'football' as he reverentially spoke of it.

Also on the current material- this is the very worst time of the year for a diversity of sports! Outside GAA and horse racing, there's not much other that talk happening! Let's wait until the autumn before condemning them- eh?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Gilroy is the Niall O'Connor of radio sports
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Gilroy is the Niall O'Connor of radio sports
Huh?! Metaphors and analogies only work if the "implicative complex" between the subjects is clear. Even to dim wits like me. That's not clear, Simon! :?
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Competent, but dull and limited. Is my guess...
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Fair enough on the "too early to tell" opinion. I do feel that the parts are currently less than the original whole though. OTB was clearly the best sports proramme in any format in this country IMO and both programmes have a long way to go to reach the previous levels. Personally, a pre-recorded segment like Second Captains just doesn't have the same impact, and the humour on OTB now really does feel forced a lot of the time. I think if McDevitt et al could get a slot on RTE in direct competition with OTB it would be very interesting to see how the rating would go.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

baaba maal wrote:Fair enough on the "too early to tell" opinion. I do feel that the parts are currently less than the original whole though. OTB was clearly the best sports proramme in any format in this country IMO and both programmes have a long way to go to reach the previous levels. Personally, a pre-recorded segment like Second Captains just doesn't have the same impact, and the humour on OTB now really does feel forced a lot of the time. I think if McDevitt et al could get a slot on RTE in direct competition with OTB it would be very interesting to see how the rating would go.
I don't think they are necessarily looking at RTE at all. If the podcast takes off with a diaspora audience, they and the Irish Times could actually crack the mystical "Internet monetizing" Eldorado. That's what all that tiresome 'Pbreso' shout outs are about. Could happen!
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

I'll bow to your knowledge of emerging media formats! I think the immediacy of radio is more appealing (to me) than a pre-recorded slot, so when I suggest RTE I'm thinking of what else I might listen to. I'm in a demographic of one, but I know that particular market very well :)
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

baaba maal wrote:I'll bow to your knowledge of emerging media formats! I think the immediacy of radio is more appealing (to me) than a pre-recorded slot, so when I suggest RTE I'm thinking of what else I might listen to. I'm in a demographic of one, but I know that particular market very well :)
Jaysus, don't follow me as your social/ multi media guru!! The OTB podcast is about the third one I ever downloaded. I too prefer radio. It's just that the younger generation seem to value the convenience of the podcast as much as the immediacy and interaction of the traditional steam radio. That is according to my own media expert 'Old Mr Brennan'.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

On the radio v podcast arguement I'd say the organisation of the JNRR needs to be reassessed soonish. I know from my degree days that it's a very well structured process but I'm sure there's a fairly high percentage of people under 40 now who probably download and listen to podcasts off iPhone/iPod whatever using an iTrip type job or usb connected car stereo rather than listen to the muck that generally serves for Irish radio.
ROYSH D4
Knowledgeable

Post by ROYSH D4 »

How could you be offended by that? Slow news day indeed.... Kikcing up a bit of dust after Second Captains captures their audience
"Sometimes the blood of Patriots needs to be spilt on the Altar of Freedom....And that Blood is Blue .... Go On Leinster!"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

As someone not from D4 or even Dublin (thankfully), I don't find this D4TRESS banner offensive. The reaction here is a bit OTT though. Gilroy says something we don't like, so let's throw Off the Ball under the bus, glorify Second Captains (even though it is OK) and make some bizarre statements about Gilroy's presentation abilities. He's not the first person to raise this issue (even someone did here before).
ROYSH D4
Knowledgeable

Post by ROYSH D4 »

Agree... its harmless. What would people suggest instead...?
"Sometimes the blood of Patriots needs to be spilt on the Altar of Freedom....And that Blood is Blue .... Go On Leinster!"
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

D4&FRIENDS lol
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:As someone not from D4 or even Dublin (thankfully), I don't find this D4TRESS banner offensive. The reaction here is a bit OTT though. Gilroy says something we don't like, so let's throw Off the Ball under the bus, glorify Second Captains (even though it is OK) and make some bizarre statements about Gilroy's presentation abilities. He's not the first person to raise this issue (even someone did here before).
I don't think opinions given on this thread in relation to 'throwing off the ball under the bus, 'gloryifying Second Captains' and 'comments re Gilroy's presenting ability' were formed based on his D4TRESS comments. They were merely asides...
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

ROYSH D4 wrote:Agree... its harmless. What would people suggest instead...?
"G'wan Mads, 'tis your field" would be much more grass roots, loike.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

TerenureJim wrote:On the radio v podcast arguement I'd say the organisation of the JNRR needs to be reassessed soonish. I know from my degree days that it's a very well structured process but I'm sure there's a fairly high percentage of people under 40 now who probably download and listen to podcasts off iPhone/iPod whatever using an iTrip type job or usb connected car stereo rather than listen to the muck that generally serves for Irish radio.
I don't think it has to be a choice between radio and podcast. There are NFL podcasts which are broadcast live and so have supporters calling in to chat, as well as tweeting, but which are also available for download afterwards. As the main one I'm thinking of is an American morning show, I rarely get to listen to it live, but there are regular callers who have a bit of banter with the hosts and with each other, but not all of the show is dedicated to the callers.

Best of both worlds.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

I dont find the sign any way offensive, but it is something Leinster have worked hard to get away from. 12 County Army is way cooler i reckon.

I get the whole location and in a fortress thing but if you wanted to (and rival supporters sometimes will) you could easily intepret it as a D4 thing.

Personally, I wouldnt bother having it up, but wouldnt be for assembling a pitchfork mob to go tear it down either. Its a 'meh, not really worried' scenario.

Can see where Gilroy is coming from though, even if he did say it stupidly. I recall moving to Dublin in the mid/late 90's and there definitely wasnt as many people from the larger Leinster geographic area going to games back in those days. The growth is a credit, personally id probably double the 12 county army sign or something, Else if you really want the fortress thing do something like a sign with the county logo's and call it Fortress RDS or something.

For all that, still dont see it as that huge an issue. Probably far more important things to worry about, so ill leave that one to the Leinster morketing department! :)
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Awol, it's an address thing, nothing more. If the RDS was on Temple st. it'd be called Temptress!
It's a great pun.

The lewd x-rated "Sexton On Fire" on the other hand... filth!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm just glad the Dublin Area Rapid Transit is not in Fermanagh or Tipperary.......Phew!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:I'm just glad the Dublin Area Rapid Transit is not in Fermanagh or Tipperary.......Phew!
And that Cork Underground Network Trains didn't get funded in the 70's