A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Second Row
Beginner

Re: We are Leinster chant

Post by Second Row »

molloyjh wrote:
Second Row wrote:
cormac wrote:Molly Malone divides opinion?
Yep lot's of people think it's naff, me included.
But here is exactly the issue you're going to face. Some people won't like the song/chant and won't sing it. FFS all songs and chants are naff. We are Leinster is naff. Ici Ici c'est Monterrand (Here, here is Montferrand) is naff. Shouting at a load of strangers running around after a funny shaped ball and getting upset over it is naff. Not being so bloody self conscious and just enjoying the thing is where the fun comes from.

I disagree man. I actaully like those other chants. I certainly like the one I suggested. I never liked Molly Malone, even in school. I think the Clermont and Toulose fans put us to shame when they come up. Chr*st the Clermont fans out sang us in the Avia and there was only 2000 of them. Molly might get a belt out in the Terrace, but the majority of fans don't sing it in the RDS. Look we're not going to convince each other. You're clesarly a fan of Molly Malone, fair play to ya. I'm not.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Second Row wrote:I disagree man. I actaully like those other chants. I certainly like the one I suggested. I never liked Molly Malone, even in school. I think the Clermont and Toulose fans put us to shame when they come up. Chr*st the Clermont fans out sang us in the Avia and there was only 2000 of them. Molly might get a belt out in the Terrace, but the majority of fans don't sing it in the RDS. Look we're not going to convince each other. You're clesarly a fan of Molly Malone, fair play to ya. I'm not.
I think you're missing my point. Which is that your opinion of Molly is going to be others opinions of We Are Leinster, or Allez les Bleus or whatever. I agree that some of the French sides in particular put us to shame, but I've already covered why. It's not because of the quality of our songs or our chants. Hell the Clermont fans love our stuff. They think Molly and COYBIB are amazing (to the point where some of my Clermont mates tried to get Molly going with the Munster fans in April!). We're put to shame because our fans don't want to get involved. Some don't want to get involved at all. Some don't want to get involved in particular songs/chants. But both lead to the same thing. A fractured crowd.

Do you think the Clermont fans give their simple chants a second thought? They just get stuck in. And because pretty much all of them are willing to forget the naff-ness of it all and get stuck in the SMM rocks. And it''s not naff anymore.

I would love nothing more than for the RDS to be like that. But it never will be because Irish people just don't buy into things like that. We're far more cynical and self-conscious.
Second Row
Beginner

Post by Second Row »

molloyjh wrote:
Second Row wrote:I disagree man. I actaully like those other chants. I certainly like the one I suggested. I never liked Molly Malone, even in school. I think the Clermont and Toulose fans put us to shame when they come up. Chr*st the Clermont fans out sang us in the Avia and there was only 2000 of them. Molly might get a belt out in the Terrace, but the majority of fans don't sing it in the RDS. Look we're not going to convince each other. You're clesarly a fan of Molly Malone, fair play to ya. I'm not.
I think you're missing my point. Which is that your opinion of Molly is going to be others opinions of We Are Leinster, or Allez les Bleus or whatever. I agree that some of the French sides in particular put us to shame, but I've already covered why. It's not because of the quality of our songs or our chants. Hell the Clermont fans love our stuff. They think Molly and COYBIB are amazing (to the point where some of my Clermont mates tried to get Molly going with the Munster fans in April!). We're put to shame because our fans don't want to get involved. Some don't want to get involved at all. Some don't want to get involved in particular songs/chants. But both lead to the same thing. A fractured crowd.

Do you think the Clermont fans give their simple chants a second thought? They just get stuck in. And because pretty much all of them are willing to forget the naff-ness of it all and get stuck in the SMM rocks. And it''s not naff anymore.

I would love nothing more than for the RDS to be like that. But it never will be because Irish people just don't buy into things like that. We're far more cynical and self-conscious.
I agree the crowd is fractured. My intention here was to suggest something that might take off.

Incidentally, I sing along to all songs.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Organising chants is pretentious shite! Keep attending games and the chants will evolve!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

This chant will never take off. It requires the kind of cooperation to forced chanting that just isn't going to happen at the RDS. ie. if you try to start the chant ("we are!") what are the odds somebody is going to reply "Leinster"?..... Slim I'd imagine

I happen to like the chants we have (largest variety in the country I reckon) but there's no harm in adding to them. I would prefer we steal a good French chant or something rather than a tacky American one. The only reason the videos linked sound impressive is because there are 60+ thousand people shouting it

eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH65jS-EseQ

terrible terrible chant sung with conviction
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

rookie wrote:Organising chants is pretentious shite! Keep attending games and the chants will evolve!
+1
Second Row
Beginner

Post by Second Row »

rookie wrote:Organising chants is pretentious shite! Keep attending games and the chants will evolve!
ib

Nonsense. What an over the top response to this suggestion. How exactly is it "pretentious shite" to suggest a new chant? "One more year" was discussed on this forum before it became a reality. That's what these forums are for. There's nothing "pretentious" in suggesting something new (for Leinster Rugby fans) that may add to the atmosphere and greater fan engagement at the games.

Lighten up !
Second Row
Beginner

Post by Second Row »

ChrisUppy wrote:This chant will never take off. It requires the kind of cooperation to forced chanting that just isn't going to happen at the RDS. ie. if you try to start the chant ("we are!") what are the odds somebody is going to reply "Leinster"?..... Slim I'd imagine

I happen to like the chants we have (largest variety in the country I reckon) but there's no harm in adding to them. I would prefer we steal a good French chant or something rather than a tacky American one. The only reason the videos linked sound impressive is because there are 60+ thousand people shouting it

I'm pretty sure it's just a 4 syllable chant. "We are Lein-ster" not We are ? and waiting for a response.

I like our chants too.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Second Row wrote:
ib

Nonsense. What an over the top response to this suggestion. How exactly is it "pretentious shite" to suggest a new chant? "One more year" was discussed on this forum before it became a reality. That's what these forums are for. There's nothing "pretentious" in suggesting something new (for Leinster Rugby fans) that may add to the atmosphere and greater fan engagement at the games.

Lighten up !
Ha Ha!. Maybe ye could get together over a skype conference call, with someone having a tuning fork or pitch pipes. :lol:
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Second Row wrote:
ib

Lighten up !
Out of interest, was One more year discussed before it happened? I don't think it was discussed at great length anyway? At the very least, I'm a fairly regular poster here and didn't realize it was discussed? I thought the One More Year thing was the epitome of a chant happening organically.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

AdamK wrote:

Out of interest, was One more year discussed before it happened? I don't think it was discussed at great length anyway? At the very least, I'm a fairly regular poster here and didn't realize it was discussed? I thought the One More Year thing was the epitome of a chant happening organically.
Certainly my recollection of it.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

domhnallj wrote:
AdamK wrote:

and mine.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Second Row wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:This chant will never take off. It requires the kind of cooperation to forced chanting that just isn't going to happen at the RDS. ie. if you try to start the chant ("we are!") what are the odds somebody is going to reply "Leinster"?..... Slim I'd imagine

I'm pretty sure it's just a 4 syllable chant. "We are Lein-ster" not We are ? and waiting for a response.

I like our chants too.
In the videos half the stadium shouts "We are" and the other half replies "Penn State".
Second Row
Beginner

Post by Second Row »

sheepshagger wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
AdamK wrote:

and mine.
I'm new to the board. Sorry I was referencing an earlier poster. I should have made that clear.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: We are Leinster chant
by Logorrhea » August 1st, 2013, 10:38 am

"1 (or 2, or 3, or 4) more year was discussed well in advance.

Not quite spawned here but not far off."
Second Row
Beginner

Post by Second Row »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Second Row wrote:

I like our chants too.
In the videos half the stadium shouts "We are" and the other half replies "Penn State".
What I meant was I am sugeesting a single chant. Agreed on the difficulty in getting it going.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Like the video. Not sure I can see it catching on. The only place I have seen anything like that in Irish rugby has been at schools games.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

AdamK wrote:
Second Row wrote:
ib

Lighten up !
I'd keep an eye on things here and don't recall it being mentioned - it happened at the game right after he scored and certainly thought it was a spontaneous thing.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

There's a great atmosphere for one or two games a season, that's it. The rest of the year it's no fortress.

Leo the Lion could do a lot for the atmosphere if he could get the crowd, especially the kids in the north & south stands going a bit more - but in fairness he'd need a few helpers.

Doesn't seem to be a priority for anyone though.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

You need a hard corps of ultras on the terraces chanting constantly before you get the crowd as a whole to sing. Most fans don't know any Leinster songs/chants so they stay quiet.

It's an improvement on the days of people turning around and shushing or telling you to sit down when we score
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Fireworks wrote:

Like the video. Not sure I can see it catching on. The only place I have seen anything like that in Irish rugby has been at schools games.
I certainly don't mean to suggest this for us. I was just showing how the Americans can make even the naffiest chant sound good by their pure conviction