Pro 12 Semi-Final: Leinster vs Glasgow

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Pro 12 Semi-Final: Leinster vs Glasgow

Post by Cianostays »

1 Healy
2 Strauss (though I keep changing my mind on this one. I felt Cronin, one poor throw aside, was very good yesterday).
3 Ross
4 Leo
5 Dev
6 Ruddock (though Locky went well against Biarritz, I think Rhys' time has come. I was impressed with his breakdown work and hits yesterday)
7 SO'B
8 Jamie
9 Boss
10 Madigan (Jonny has been great for the past 3 games but I think we'd win this game with Madser at 10 and trusting him to deliver now would have huge benefits for next season when he is the main man. I'm sure I'm in the minority but that would be my choice @ 10).
11 Isa
12 D'Arce
13 BO'D
14 Ferg
15 Rob

16 Cronin (for now :| ), 17 McGrath, 18 Hagan, 19 Roux, 20 Jenno, 21 Cooney (after his performance yesterday I wouldn't mind seeing Luke here instead), 22 Jonny, 23 Conway (even if Dave K was fit, Andy's performance last night earns him the jersey).
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 12 Semi-Final: Leinster vs Glasgow

Post by goreyguy »

Johnny has to start.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would go with that team Ciano. The Jonny/Mads debate is interesting and like the Mcgrath/Cronin one or the McGrath/Cooney one, I would be happy whichever way round it was.

Probably start Jonny though if fit. Aisling never asked HVDM last night was he going to feature again before he left. Anyone know?

Not that McGrath needs any help.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Why the "for now" over Cronin. Injured, or another rumored to be leaving? :/

Personally, would go with
1. Healy 2. Strauss 3. Ross 4. Cullen 5. Toner 6. O'Brien 7. Jennings 8. Heaslip
9. Boss 10. Sexton 11. Nacewa 12. D'Arcy 13. O'Driscoll 14. McFadden 15. R. Kearney
16. Cronin 17. McGrath 18. Hagan 19. Roux 20. McLoughlin / Ruddock 21. Cooney 22. Madigan 23. Conway

I think we have a fairly established team, and I don't think we need to go rocking the boat too much just yet. If Sexton wasn't leaving, it'd be a no brainer that he'd start, despite Madigans great form, so just because he is, I still think we should play our best team. Madigan will get all the big games next season and is a superb man to come off the bench.

Strauss / Cronin is a tougher call for me, it's nice to have in form players in many positions to cause headaches, the 14 and 23 jersey a hot one too. As is the 21 jersey, I have been massively impressed with the maturity of Luke McGrath this season, both for the Irish U20s, the A team and his senior cameos, but then Cooney has been extremely impressive also.

I'm a big fan of Jack McGrath also, would definitely keep him on the bench, Hagan has been very good, Toner has had a superb season, really upped it this year.

That just really leaves the back-row, and whilst there are so many players putting their hands up - like Ruddock & Jordi Murphy, again, I don't see the need to upset the status quo for the sake of it, and our established back three combo of O'Brien, Jennings & Heaslip is still our strongest imo. The call for the bench spot is very close though, couldn't narrow it down between McLoughlin and Ruddock.

Having said that, such is the quality and form and depth to the squad right now (injury crisis mostly over), there is a case to be made of not perhaps starting the 100% best team if you think you could get away with starting guys like Cronin, Madigan, Ruddock, Cooney etc.. and still win, which I think we could, but I'd play it safe to be honest - 3 games - our strongest team, lets go for it.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

goreyguy wrote:Johnny has to start.
Absolutely. You don't start building for a shot of honours next year by weakening your team actually heading for honours this season. Johnny is a better player he starts. Madigan will slot in nicely soon enough.
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

goreyguy wrote:Johnny has to start.
+1. I love Madser; he has that bit of magic, but as of now Jonny is the better all round 10.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IMO none of Leo, Jenno or Bossie will play three matches in three weeks at optimum and Darce must also be a worry in this regard. Although it is reasonable to believe that the Amlin Final against Stade will not be as tough on bodies as a Heineken Final, I believe that Joe will opt for his front rank next week against Glasgow and then review the position for the Amlin Final.

I would expect: Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Toner, SOB. Jamie, Jenno, Boss, Sexton, Nacewa, Darce, BO'D, Ferg, Kearney: Subs: Cronin, McGrath, Hagan, Roux, Ruddock, Cooney, Madigan, Conway

If we get this result, there may be different teams for the two Finals - maybe four different options in position. Also there is talk about our Lions having to join up with Tour Party for a couple of days, that may also impact on preparation of teams which will undoubtedly influence things
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Jonny to start this week, Mad Dog to start the following week!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If D'arce doesn't start this week, i'd say his season's over.
Hardly start a final with no gametime under his belt.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:If D'arce doesn't start this week, i'd say his season's over.
Hardly start a final with no gametime under his belt.
and with Luke only other injured back we've plenty of options for cover for darce
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Id start madigan, you can't start Jonny 5 games in a row at outhalf and not allow madigan the opportunity to show his previous form. This is the best game of the three remaining to start madigan
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

bluemagic wrote:Id start madigan, you can't start Jonny 5 games in a row at outhalf and not allow madigan the opportunity to show his previous form. This is the best game of the three remaining to start madigan
Of course you can- and should! There's really no debate necessary here.
Johnny is the best OH available- so he plays. When Madigan is the best 10, he'll play when he's available. It might be different if there was a closer call to make.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

artaneboy wrote:There's really no debate necessary here.
Johnny is the best OH available- so he plays. When Madigan is the best 10, he'll play when he's available. It might be different if there was a closer call to make.
Exactly.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

[Jackass] wrote:Why the "for now" over Cronin. Injured, or another rumored to be leaving? :/
Just an acknowledgement that I'd be happy enough for Cronin to start. I keep flip flopping between him and Strauss as to whom I'd prefer to see start. No injuries or departures that I'm aware of.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

looks like we should have a reasonably full house of players to choose from.

Only 6000 season ticket holders buying tickets is a bit worrying though. That's less than half. :shock:
Y'know, loike, the Leinster Websoite n'stuff wrote:The Leinster squad have stepped up their preparations ahead of Saturday night's RaboDirect PRO12 play off against Glasgow Warriors in the RDS (KO: 7.35pm)...
There are no major injury concerns arising from last Friday's victory over the Ospreys with Sean O'Brien (cramp) expected to train fully with the squad this week. The Tullow back-row forward is in the frame for selection alongside Jamie Heaslip, Kevin McLaughlin and Mike Ross who were rested last weekend while the medical team have also reported positive news on the availability of Isaac Boss, Gordon D'Arcy and Dominic Ryan who should all be fit for selection.

Ireland Under-20 Luke McGrath became the province's latest debutant against the Welsh side and the province's 'Young Player of the Year' Jordi Murphy also came through well in his first game back since sustaining a broken hand.

Andrew Conway, who became the second Leinster player to score a hat-trick of tries this season (after Dominic Ryan against Benetton Treviso in February), is in line to make his 40th Leinster appearance alongside another Academy graduate, Balbriggan's Jamie Hagan.

Jonathan Sexton, meanwhile, now lies 13 points shy of the 1,000 career point mark for the province in his 107 appearances to date in all competitions.

Dave Kearney is still awaiting medical clearance but it is hoped he will also come back into the frame ahead of Friday's midday team announcement.

Since going on sale initially to Leinster Season Ticket Holders on Friday night, ticket sales for Saturday's game have now passed the 6,000 mark and are on sale ONLINE HERE, the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) as well as Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Donny B. wrote:Jonny to start this week, Mad Dog to start the following week!
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I'm so sick of the near misses in the league that I don't want to take any chances with it, although playing Madigan isn't exactly a big risk anymore. The Stade Francais game should be a more open affair which will be better suited to Madigan's swashbuckling style.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

johng wrote:
Only 6000 season ticket holders buying tickets is a bit worrying though. That's less than half. :shock:
Definitely a typo. Every Leinster press release has 16,000. Seems to be their magic number for releasing press sh!t.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Perhaps its a Week to Early for most people to buy tickets!!!
Or long weekend, email is in work etc.
Am pretty sure it will.be a sell out
dave13
Bookworm

Post by dave13 »

suisse wrote:
johng wrote:
Definitely a typo. Every Leinster press release has 16,000. Seems to be their magic number for releasing press sh!t.
Not really, for this game they can only report actual sales, there are no season ticket sales to bump it up. Same game V ulster had only about 10000 at it.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Blue not red blood wrote:Am pretty sure it will.be a sell out
Very much doubt that. We've never had a sell out for the league semi before, although in fairness they have usually before a travelling European final.

I'm not making this weeked for example. Exams, and the delayed knowledge of venue made it more expensive.