ZK on the way here

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Re: ZK on the way here

Post by BlueBlue »

Have a dip next year ? We are having a dip now. When the bench mark you have set is 3 h-cups in 4 years, the year we missed out we were in a semi. We have also been in 3 of the last leagues. Did we think we were going to be in the league final each year and win back to back H-CUPS year in year out ? When the team we are so fortunate to support sets the bench mark for everyone else, yes there might be the disapointment of not winning the H-cup each year.

A dip for Leinster looks like 2 home semi's and the possibility of 2 finals in the RDS, poor us.

Over the last 4 years of a crazy level of success, the one thing I have not missed is the moaning and negativity. Its back, we sign a 77 capped super 14 player and a 27 capped bok and the sky is falling in.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

High performance manager of the Bulls, Xander Janse van Rensburg, said: “We understand that an earlier release might be requested, but it is up to the board to approve that or not.

“We have been in talks with Zane and his agent since November and although it is very disappointing to lose his services, we wish him well with the new phase in his career,” said the.

“From our side, with coach Frans Ludeke very involved and in regular consultation with Springbok management, we tried our best to keep the player in Pretoria, but could in the end not compete with the exchange rate and the expectations of Zane and his agent.”

The Blue Bulls want him, the Bok's want him, Joe wants him and Leinster have signed him. I'm devastated that some Leinster fans think he is too expensive, too old (at 28) and ordinary. Have you ever met a Bok back that did not fit into the solid and kicks a lot bracket.
drive for 5
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Can all of our dip seasons end in (potentially) 5 games in a row in the RDS please!

Both of our semis will be tough. Brrritz and Glasgow either home or away. So let's not start counting any chickens yet, but 2 finals and at least one trophy would represent an excellent season, especially after the 2012 part.

Perhaps we can coach the "kickey hoofey" game out of Zaneo and he will turn out to be an excellent buy. He actually has all the raw materials.

Hopefully we have all had our whinge by now and can get behind our new Leinster player.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Terrible signing. It's hard not to see the hand of the IRFU involved in this - i.e. only allowing you to buy a fb who's almost as terrible a defender as the Cuckold.

With the completely useless WDP out the gap (allegedly) in the summer and Dougie's tenure coming to an end, I'd prefer to see us back youngsters like Cronin and LOD rather than bring in MOR marquee signings, just for the sake of it. That said, hopefully Penney can tap some of the pool of young Canterbury talent coming through at underage.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Apocrypha wrote:Terrible signing. It's hard not to see the hand of the IRFU involved in this - i.e. only allowing you to buy a fb who's almost as terrible a defender as the Cuckold.

With the completely useless WDP out the gap (allegedly) in the summer and Dougie's tenure coming to an end, I'd prefer to see us back youngsters like Cronin and LOD rather than bring in MOR marquee signings, just for the sake of it. That said, hopefully Penney can tap some of the pool of young Canterbury talent coming through at underage.
How's Munster's recruitment going? Have they identified and hired any talent or just poached off their neighbours again.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Apocrypha wrote:I'd prefer to see us back youngsters like Cronin and LOD rather than bring in MOR marquee signings, just for the sake of it. That said, hopefully Penney can tap some of the pool of young Canterbury talent coming through at underage.
What? "I'd prefer that we bring through our own young players, but hopefully we don't"?!
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

I reckon he might work out...
In reality I dont believe he is a bad signing. If he comes and has the right attitude, or gets a suitable attitude adjustment from the coaching panel he could be really good for Leinster. Ill wait and see him in the Leinster blue before I say anything else.

Welcome and Good Luck, i hope we see you doing the business on the field, with not much messing off it, and emulating the guy we are losing!
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

hugonaut wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:I'd prefer to see us back youngsters like Cronin and LOD rather than bring in MOR marquee signings, just for the sake of it. That said, hopefully Penney can tap some of the pool of young Canterbury talent coming through at underage.
What? "I'd prefer that we bring through our own young players, but hopefully we don't"?!
You are conflating two separate points. I want us to both continue the process of the last few years of bringing through talent from the academy, as well as having Penney source young Kiwi's in areas where there is a distinct lack of available options.

A case in point would be at centre, where LLL and Downey only have a year left on their contracts, respectively. Three of their understudies (Barnes/Deasy/Hircock) are being released, while JJ is now seen primarily as a 10. That leaves Dineen - who at 26 is no spring chicken - and a couple of academy talents (Bohane/Scannell). Obviously, a 22/23/24 year old Kiwi who can cover 12/13 would be an excellent addition.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

am now towing party line on Kirchner so anyone else remember the huge clamour for him to play for boks when he did break into Bulls team and was very exciting for them (initially at least)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Apocrypha wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
You are conflating two separate points. I want us to both continue the process of the last few years of bringing through talent from the academy, as well as having Penney source young Kiwi's in areas where there is a distinct lack of available options.

A case in point would be at centre, where LLL and Downey only have a year left on their contracts, respectively. Three of their understudies (Barnes/Deasy/Hircock) are being released, while JJ is now seen primarily as a 10. That leaves Dineen - who at 26 is no spring chicken - and a couple of academy talents (Bohane/Scannell). Obviously, a 22/23/24 year old Kiwi who can cover 12/13 would be an excellent addition.
Barnes released, bad business surly !
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

ZK, is going to be playing with a lot of young wingers during certain periods of a season, who have plenty of flair but not much experience, he will bring that as well as being hard and solid. If he has creativity , Leinster are well placed to bring that out. He has played outside centre , wing and FB at international level. I'm pretty sure we will get a full return on investment. But most of all, I'll take note of precived short comings, draw a line under it and see how he plays for my team.
drive for 5
Jaggo
Beginner

Post by Jaggo »

I for one am really looking forward to ZK coming here. I hope he does a hickey on the wing. Its about time we had real pace on the wings again.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Now that it's a done deal, my main concern is to ensure that Kirchner maintains focus on his game instead of trying to slay Bart Simpson:-

"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Tackle Bag (& Others) - check out the "leinsterfans.com - photoshop-off" thread....or is that where this thread is going now?
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

leinster4life13 wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Whats happening in Leinster rugby someone asked, a lot of things including all the bar stool experts bitching and moaning, what its been at least 3 years since the loss of fionn Carr was the end of the world and Ollie was a fatty and who the feck was stan wright. Give Leinster and the player the benefit of the doubt.
Leinster backline 2012/2013. 15. Isa, 14.Ferg, 13.Drico, 12.Darce, 11.Fitz 10. Sexton 9.Boss. The unbelievers can swap Kearnage and Isa. But this is an outstanding backline, solid all over the park, my only complaint would be Ferg is not a natural winger, but he isnt a liability. Injuries hindered the group as a whole and they never peaked together unfortunately. Depth everywhere apart from 13.

Leinster 2013/2014. 15.RK, 14.DK? 13.a 35 year old BOD?, 12.Ferg or a year older Darce, 11.?, 10.Madigan, 9. Boss a year older. Same group of players older and slower, whilst missing key components in Fitz, Sexton and Isa. Relying on players stepping up and playing at a level they have not reached previously.

At 9, we have a year older and slower Boss, backed up by Redden coming off a case of leg knack.
At 10, we have lost one of the best 10 in Europe. Madigan is an adequate replacement, but he still has a bit to go. A definite downgrade, as much as I love the goy and think he will surpass JS in all facets of the game.
At 11. We have no standout candidate, Fitz is knacked, he doesnt count, you dont return from a knee injury in under 12 months, unless you play in the NFL who dont test for HGH. Zero backup or clear first choice
12. Relying on Ferg to finally break out, last chance saloon for him. Behind we have an older Darce and a Journeyman with a converted backrow making up the numbers.
13. Drico or bust. Hoping he can coax another season out of those creaking bones. Nothing behind him except slow, injury prone midgets, and a crocked O'Malley.
14. Dave Kearney. solid, unspectacular, no different to having Ferg play here. Unproven back up
15. Kearnage. Creaking defensively, anemic on attack, a pale imitation of Isa in his pomp. Desperately hoping he gets a pre season in and returns to his best days. Behind him we have a defensively shaky anemic on attack springbok quota player, good for pro 12 I suppose.

I would start worrying. Who complained about Stan, Le Roux or Isa? Gobshites in the media who dont watch anything other than Irish games and HC games. Stan was a low risk high reward player. LeRoux only got flak for being fat not for being duff. Isa wasnt doubted by any rugby fan, only by cave dwellers.
Why are you so keen to write off the entire backline? Reddan and Boss still have a lot to give, and hopefully McGrath will get a lot of exposure along with Cooney. Sexton has been the best 10 in Europe for the past year, he has not been at that level constantly since 09 when he finally broke into the team, it took time and ownership of the jersey for him to get there. It is a real bloody shame that he will spend the rest of his peak at another club. Mads is well ahead of where Sexton was at the same age though, and we need to be positive. 'Slow, injury prone midgets' at centre? Macken is anything but. O'Malley, needs an injury free run, granted. McFadden is well suited to centre but won't get a run of games until Darcy or O'Driscoll retires. I'd rather have a '35 year old O'Driscoll' then not. Kearnage is capable of doing extraordinary damage from fullback. Off form at the mo, but still scoring. I wouldn't be writing Fitz off so soon either.

It's not great calling a Spring Bok test player who has excelled for Bulls (at times) a 'defensively shaky, anemic... quota player'. I'll direct you to your 'cave dwellers' criticism of those who criticesed Stan, Ollie and Isa. Give the guy a break for fock sake, and let's see how he works out before we do the chicken little thing and proclaim that the sky has indeed fallen down. We haven't even seen the guy play for us and there's some disappointing comments being thrown at him.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Laighindown wrote:
Why are you so keen to write off the entire backline? Reddan and Boss still have a lot to give, and hopefully McGrath will get a lot of exposure along with Cooney. Sexton has been the best 10 in Europe for the past year, he has not been at that level constantly since 09 when he finally broke into the team, it took time and ownership of the jersey for him to get there. It is a real bloody shame that he will spend the rest of his peak at another club. Mads is well ahead of where Sexton was at the same age though, and we need to be positive. 'Slow, injury prone midgets' at centre? Macken is anything but. O'Malley, needs an injury free run, granted. McFadden is well suited to centre but won't get a run of games until Darcy or O'Driscoll retires. I'd rather have a '35 year old O'Driscoll' then not. Kearnage is capable of doing extraordinary damage from fullback. Off form at the mo, but still scoring. I wouldn't be writing Fitz off so soon either.

It's not great calling a Spring Bok test player who has excelled for Bulls (at times) a 'defensively shaky, anemic... quota player'. I'll direct you to your 'cave dwellers' criticism of those who criticesed Stan, Ollie and Isa. Give the guy a break for fock sake, and let's see how he works out before we do the chicken little thing and proclaim that the sky has indeed fallen down. We haven't even seen the guy play for us and there's some disappointing comments being thrown at him.
Writing off the entire backline? No, Im utterly behind Madigan, and honestly rate him as the second coming of Carlos Spencer. I'm just giving an honest assessment of the backline. Boss has been in patchy form, so has redden(coming off a leg injury) and will be older, what is wrong with that assesment?
Macken, O'Malley and Hudson have displayed nothing this season to indicate they can step up quickly, or have I missed the run of games they have had?
My "35 year old O'Driscoll remark wasnt meant as a slight, merely that we are relying on a 35 to be our best back and not get injured, not ideal really, without him, its heavy going .
You have to write Fitz off that this stage, hasnt played injury free since 09. When he comes back, I have no doubt he will be awesome, but you cant rely on him, given his injury history.
As you say Kearnage if off form, relying on him stepping up next season and replacing Isa, big ask for any player.
My assessment of Kircher is my own and I stand by it and hope i'm proven wrong.
I'm not keen to write off players, I just think we shouldnt expect too much considering we will be down on talent from this years group which didnt get out of the HC group(admittedly injuries contributed to this).
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Big call from ZK to come here. Aren't we all racists?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:Big call from ZK to come here. Aren't we all racists?
No, but if we don't rave about his every performance for us next season, then we will be racists. :wink:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

suisse wrote:Big call from ZK to come here. Aren't we all racists?
yes but he's one of ours now :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Is he fast? If he is, I think Leinster can make something of him
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!