Zebre v. Leinster Sunday 3PM RTE

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Zebre v. Leinster Sunday 3PM RTE

Post by wixfjord »

Bit of a rest after a hectic few weeks now, 8 days until we trek to Italy.

Zebre have lost to Connacht, Scarlets, Embra and Cardiff in last 4 in league.

A BP here and a win against Ospreys would see us through as a Home SF, while, if my maths is correct, which it may not be, a Glasgow loss to Ospreys with no BP on Friday and us getting a BP would also put us through with a Home SF.

I'd like to see Cooney getting a run here. Boss must surely be tired, has a lot more rugby to play this year (hopefully) and despite the MOTM award, I didn't think he played that well last night. We also need to give Cooney a run as he will be needed before year is out.

Would alo like to see McGrath start, and this is the perfect game to give Johnny a run.

Roux and Darcy to be fit for next week according to O'Reilly, unlikely DK will be.

My team:
McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Toner, Roux, Locky, SOB, Heaslip, Cooney, Sexton, MCF, D'arcy, BOD, Isa, Rob
VDM/Healy, Strauss, Hagan, Cullen, Jenno, Boss, Madigan, Conway.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Zebre v. Leinster Sunday 3PM RTE

Post by mikey »

Can't see bod travelling but I hope he does as we are on the charter !!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Yeah - he must be exhausted after his first game in four weeks.
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Can't see why BOD wouldn't travel? Hardly needs a rest! If anything he needs gametime and this is a key game.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

I'd say BOD will travel and J10 will start if fit (Mads needs a rest at this stage!).

We cant afford to take this one lightly. Zebre are losing games by small margins and this one is a big one for them.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Maradona10
Bookworm

Post by Maradona10 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:I'd say BOD will travel and J10 will start if fit (Mads needs a rest at this stage!).

We cant afford to take this one lightly. Zebre are losing games by small margins and this one is a big one for them.
Haha I love the idea of putting in a probable Lions starter to give Madigan some rest!
"Andy Goode? More like Andy Foooooooode" - Phil Kearns
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Bit of a rest after a hectic few weeks now, 8 days until we trek to Italy.

A BP here and a win against Ospreys would see us through as a Home SF, while, if my maths is correct, which it may not be, a Glasgow loss to Ospreys with no BP on Friday and us getting a BP would also put us through with a Home SF.

I'd like to see Cooney getting a run here. Boss must surely be tired, has a lot more rugby to play this year (hopefully) and despite the MOTM award, I didn't think he played that well last night. We also need to give Cooney a run as he will be needed before year is out.

Would alo like to see McGrath start, and this is the perfect game to give Johnny a run.

Roux and Darcy to be fit for next week according to O'Reilly, unlikely DK will be.

My team:
McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Toner, Roux, Locky, SOB, Heaslip, Cooney, Sexton, MCF, D'arcy, BOD, Isa, Rob
There's no way I'd play Heaslip in this game. Absolutely no chance. The lad should put his feet up for the next ten days, he has played a sh*tload of rugby this season: 1191 mins for Leinster and 616 mins for Ireland [all bar 14 minutes of every game Ireland – or the Ireland XV – have played this season] – over 1800 mins already this season and we're not even in May. That's on the back of a monster 2011-12 season [1127 mins for Leinster and 1099 for Ireland, i.e. 2226 mins of gametime]. He has been flogged over the last couple of seasons.

We'll need him against the Ospreys and then for the rest of the season, so I think it's prudent to leave him out for an away game to Zebre.

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Strauss, Bent, Cullen, Toner, McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock
Backs [9-15]: Cooney, Sexton [c], Nacewa, Goodman, O'Driscoll, McFadden, R. Kearney
Subs [16-23]: van der Merwe, Cronin, Hagan, Roux, Ryan, L. McGrath, Reid, Conway

Injured: O'Malley, Macken, D. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Reddan, Murphy
Rested: Healy, Ross, O'Brien, Heaslip, Boss, Madigan, D'Arcy

Truth be told, I'd prefer to give Leo the match off as well, possibly bring Marshall into the second row in his stead. Once you bring Sexton into the team, you get a lot of direction and leadership, and there's a lot of firepower in the backline in terms of getting tries.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Bit of a rest after a hectic few weeks now, 8 days until we trek to Italy.

My team:
There's no way I'd play Heaslip in this game. Absolutely no chance. The lad should put his feet up for the next ten days, he has played a sh*tload of rugby this season: 1191 mins for Leinster and 616 mins for Ireland [all bar 14 minutes of every game Ireland – or the Ireland XV – have played this season] – over 1800 mins already this season and we're not even in May. That's on the back of a monster 2011-12 season [1127 mins for Leinster and 1099 for Ireland, i.e. 2226 mins of gametime]. He has been flogged over the last couple of seasons.

We'll need him against the Ospreys and then for the rest of the season, so I think it's prudent to leave him out for an away game to Zebre.

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Strauss, Bent, Cullen, Toner, McLaughlin, Jennings, Ruddock
Backs [9-15]: Cooney, Sexton [c], Nacewa, Goodman, O'Driscoll, McFadden, R. Kearney
Subs [16-23]: van der Merwe, Cronin, Hagan, Roux, Ryan, L. McGrath, Reid, Conway

Injured: O'Malley, Macken, D. Kearney, Fitzgerald, Reddan, Murphy
Rested: Healy, Ross, O'Brien, Heaslip, Boss, Madigan, D'Arcy

Truth be told, I'd prefer to give Leo the match off as well, possibly bring Marshall into the second row in his stead. Once you bring Sexton into the team, you get a lot of direction and leadership, and there's a lot of firepower in the backline in terms of getting tries.
Would agree with much of that side although I'd change a few things on the bench. Sexton won't captain a side with Leo or Jenno in it. I'd bring O'Brien for the bench or possibly play him at 8 for 50/55 mins with Ruddock to replace him. Would also have Boss and Madigan on the bench ahead of McGrath and Reid. Only need to bring them on in case of an emergency but this is a game we have to win and no reason not to have them on the bench. Don't see D'Arcy being risked in this game even if he is deemed fit, we'll need him for Biarritz and Ospreys.

Bonus point win will guarantee a spot in the playoffs and possibly more depending on results elsewhere. Looking at it, if Glasgow fail to pick up more than one point at home to Ospreys and we take the maximum against Zebre we'll be guaranteed a home semi-final as we'll have two more wins than Glasgow.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

O'Driscoll was limping at the end of match in Thomand, so himself and D'Arcy might not be risked.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to use a cliche every game from here on is essentially a knock out game so last chance to rest guys eg Leo
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Risky but I'd rest as many as possible.

After this there could be 4 home games in a row of high intensity, and THEN a Rabo Final.

There could only be 3 with the last one away and no Rabo final too, but I prefer the optimistic version

McGrath
Dundon
Bent
Marshall
Toner
Ruddock
Ryan
Avua'a

Cooney
Sexton
Carr
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
McFadden
Conway

Cronin
Van Der Merwe/O'connell
Hagan
Roux/Denton
McLaughlin
McGrath
Goodman
Hudson/Whoever's fit/Possibly Isa in a break glass in case of emergency role
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Lar wrote:Yeah - he must be exhausted after his first game in four weeks.
He was struggling at the end of the game yesterday - clearly took a knock to his ankle which makes me think he won't travel..
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

isa shouldn't be rested IMO. He's only back really.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

We should be able to put out a very strong side. There are a number of players that have little game time in recent weeks. Sexton, BOD (if fit, if even a hint of an injury, rest him), Strauss, McLaughlin, Jennings, McFadden and Nacewa should all be raring to go. SOB hasn't played a large amount of rugby this season after coming back but I suspect there's a niggle there if the IRFU made him sit out the Ulster game. He's only played 9 times this season for Leinster so there's something a bit amiss there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

AdamK wrote:isa shouldn't be rested IMO. He's only back really.
Isa is in a bit of a jocker. He needs nursing through to the end of his career. Which is a max of 6 games. (or 5 if we rest him next week)

Pack did a huge amount of work this week. They will need to do a lot more in the next few games to make sure we actually get to play 6.

Possibly the same with Drico seeing as he got a knock. Didn't realise he did.
No23
Bookworm

Post by No23 »

Toner,Madigan,OBrian,Heaslip,Ross and Boss hould all be given the week off.
Zebre are cr*p and we could probably pick up a BP with Leinster A
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

No23 wrote:Zebre are cr*p and we could probably pick up a BP with Leinster A
They've pushed a number of teams very close and were unlucky to lose on a couple of occasions. They'll be up for this one.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

We'll probabloy get a bit of a mix going, I'd have thought. Something like:

McGrath, Strauss, Bent, Marshall, Toner, Ruddock, Ryan, Leo
Cooney, Sexton, Conway, Goodman, BOD, Ferg, RK

Cronin, HVDM, Hago, Leo, SOB, Boss, Madigan, Isa.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Tuesday afternoon as the province stepped up their preparations for Sunday afternoon's RaboDirect PRO12 clash against Zebre in Stadio del Tricolore (KO: 4pm local time, 3pm Irish time)...There were several injury concerns arising from Saturday night's derby victory over Munster in Limerick, with Dave Kearney set for a spell on the sidelines after being knocked unconscious midway through the second half. Kearney was released from hospital on Sunday morning and will follow the return to play guidelines for head injury.

Gordon D'Arcy suffered a mild calf strain in the opening minutes of the game but it is hoped that the Ireland centre will be available for the trip to Italy next weekend, while second row Quinn Roux (dead leg) should also be back in the frame.

Try-scorer Brian O'Driscoll suffered cramp on his comeback game, but he was fit to finish the game, while Sean O'Brien received treatment to a cut above his left eye which required stitches. Neither knock is expected to prevent either international from missing out on selection ahead of Friday's midday team announcement.

The province expect to have Fergus McFadden and Jonathan Sexton available, although this weekend's game is set to come a week too soon for back-row forward Jordi Murphy as he recovers from a broken hand.

Heinke van der Merwe (knee) continues to receive treatment, while Eoin O'Malley is doubtful but making progress after his long term knee injury.

Sunday's fixture will raise money for the provinces of Emilia and Lombardia which were affected by an earthquake last year. The match will also be the first ever played at Stadio Citta del Tricolore in Reggio Emilia.

Meanwhile, close to 16,000 tickets have now been sold for the Amlin Challenge Cup semi final against Biarritz in the RDS on Saturday, 27th April (KO: 2.30pm). Tickets are selling fast and supporters can purchase tickets ONLINE HERE.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9641.php
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dexter wrote:The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Tuesday afternoon as the province stepped up their preparations for Sunday afternoon's RaboDirect PRO12 clash against Zebre in Stadio del Tricolore (KO: 4pm local time, 3pm Irish time)...There were several injury concerns arising from Saturday night's derby victory over Munster in Limerick, with Dave Kearney set for a spell on the sidelines after being knocked unconscious midway through the second half. Kearney was released from hospital on Sunday morning and will follow the return to play guidelines for head injury.

Gordon D'Arcy suffered a mild calf strain in the opening minutes of the game but it is hoped that the Ireland centre will be available for the trip to Italy next weekend, while second row Quinn Roux (dead leg) should also be back in the frame.

Try-scorer Brian O'Driscoll suffered cramp on his comeback game, but he was fit to finish the game, while Sean O'Brien received treatment to a cut above his left eye which required stitches. Neither knock is expected to prevent either international from missing out on selection ahead of Friday's midday team announcement.

The province expect to have Fergus McFadden and Jonathan Sexton available, although this weekend's game is set to come a week too soon for back-row forward Jordi Murphy as he recovers from a broken hand.

Heinke van der Merwe (knee) continues to receive treatment, while Eoin O'Malley is doubtful but making progress after his long term knee injury.

Sunday's fixture will raise money for the provinces of Emilia and Lombardia which were affected by an earthquake last year. The match will also be the first ever played at Stadio Citta del Tricolore in Reggio Emilia.

Meanwhile, close to 16,000 tickets have now been sold for the Amlin Challenge Cup semi final against Biarritz in the RDS on Saturday, 27th April (KO: 2.30pm). Tickets are selling fast and supporters can purchase tickets ONLINE HERE.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9641.php
This weeks winner of the "week-to-soon" award is Jordi Murphy :D