Zebre v. Leinster Sunday 3PM RTE

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Zebre v. Leinster Sunday 3PM RTE

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Keith wrote:
lummix wrote:Isn't it annoying that just as hagan is coming good we've lost him to London Irish. Be interesting who gets the bench spot for backrow next week, presume Jennings will start. With the talent coming through behind them, the lads would want to be doing better than that when they get the chance
London Irish will be one of the favourites to be relegated next year, so you never know he could be back fairly soon if he was promised 2nd choice TH.
The way that himself and Ross are playing now I would think that he'd be sharing a lot more game time with Ross if he was around next season rather than just being second choice.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:Em called that one a little early did Paterson. In terms of officials I have to ask what is the point of a touch judge if he can't see a player lifted off the ball in the middle of the pitch away from the main body of players. Think the league needs to have a serious off season review of referring standards.
The league is still run by fuckwits. When there was controversey over non neutral touch judges a few seasons back, their solution was to bring in non neutral referees as well. :roll:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:Eh did yer man just say they won't be back until the final?
Final-E, they're back for the final series of games - presume they'll be showing our game, but I wouldn't trust them not to show the vital Zebre - Munster thriller instead
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Final-E, they're back for the final series of games - presume they'll be showing our game, but I wouldn't trust them not to show the vital Zebre - Munster thriller instead
Ah right. Do TG4 not get first dibs on the game though as primary broadcaster?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Ah right. Do TG4 not get first dibs on the game though as primary broadcaster?
Could well have indeed, but thats one of the very few things RTE can't be blamed for!
I have Bumbleflex
Gavlar
Learner

Post by Gavlar »

Lar wrote:What the feck? Patterson calls time with almost a minute left?
As bad as the ref was in the game I think he actually got this right. RTE's clock remained stopped in the 48th minute for a good while as play went on. RTE's coverage can't even get the clock right!!
Maradona10
Bookworm

Post by Maradona10 »

Despite taking the mick at the end there, I thought Dom Ryan had an excellent game. Loads of tackles and a good few carries. I really wish that he'd play more matches. I actually thought Denton was good as well, and BOD, Isa and Sexy were class. Jack Mc was industrious, as were Dev and Strauss, but the rest were fairly average.

Got the 5 points though, so can't really complain.
"Andy Goode? More like Andy Foooooooode" - Phil Kearns
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was about 10 mins behind watching the 2nd half. My sky box calved at about 58 mins (luckily I could go next door) missed the 4th and 5th tries though.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sexton or El Madrigal for next week?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Scratchy performance alright. A lot of knock-ons, too many missed tackles and some poor options [Dom Ryan, hang your head!] – against a better team we would have been beaten, but we wouldn't have played like that against a better team.

That's a game that would have suited Jordi Murphy at No8. The squad update at the beginning of the week gave him the dreaded 'a week too soon' verdict, but hopefully he'll be back in action for the Friday night B&I Cup semi-final against Munster down in Dooradoyle. I get the feeling that the dry ground will suit him well, and Leo Auva'a isn't an effective 80 minute man but is a good impact player at 'A' level.

Locky looked off-color/off-form and really needs to work hard to add some off-loading to his carrying game. He doesn't break tackles cleanly [in the way that Cian Healy or Sean O'Brien do] so he should look to get his hands out of the tackle more often and get the ball out of contact to the supporting player, not go to ground so early all the time. He's a big strong lad and should be able to stand up in some tackles longer than he does. He's a little one-dimensional at the moment.

Good game from Dev. I'm fairly sure that he was packing down behind tighthead at scrum-time, so personally I'd call into question whether or not Denton was a good selection call. Seems to me that even taking into account his try he wasn't all that effective. I presume the selection was with an eye to getting him some more gametime before the B&I Cup semi after his six-week suspension though, so it makes some sense.

Jamie Hagan was really impressive when he came on – a real pity that he didn't show that sort of form earlier in the season [and he didn't], because he likely would be staying at Leinster if he had, rather than going to the international career graveyard that is London Irish.

Cooney's box-kicking was brutal, otherwise he had a decent game and some nice moments. Great return from J10 [7 from 7 off the tee and a whole host of line breaks] and typically high-grade performances from Drico and Isa.

Fionn Carr reverted to his super-ordinary pre-Christmas form, for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be able to beat players on their side of the gainline or run away from backs anymore, and thus just doesn't bring a lot to the team. From my perspective, while we are losing a lot of outside backs next season [Isa to retirement, Conway to Munster, Carr to Connacht, Luke for probably the first half], Carr is realistically not a massive loss in performance terms. He's had a good few chances and it's time to move on, whether it be Hudson, Boyle or Byrne ... just somebody who will give us more.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Sexton or El Madrigal for next week?
Madigan

getting worried about Bent too now, he's had a full season almost to catch up/upskill but Hagan is streets ahead of him now (almost think deciding to move gave him a mental boost), really can see Martin Moore overtaking him next year, and we cant have Mike Ross flogged to death either (side not if Ross doesnt get Lions hope Kiss gives him summer off)

Denton was selected to score a try off the wing as an f u to penney
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:Scratchy performance alright. A lot of knock-ons, too many missed tackles and some poor options [Dom Ryan, hang your head!] – against a better team we would have been beaten, but we wouldn't have played like that against a better team.

That's a game that would have suited Jordi Murphy at No8. The squad update at the beginning of the week gave him the dreaded 'a week too soon' verdict, but hopefully he'll be back in action for the Friday night B&I Cup semi-final against Munster down in Dooradoyle. I get the feeling that the dry ground will suit him well, and Leo Auva'a isn't an effective 80 minute man but is a good impact player at 'A' level.

Locky looked off-color/off-form and really needs to work hard to add some off-loading to his carrying game. He doesn't break tackles cleanly [in the way that Cian Healy or Sean O'Brien do] so he should look to get his hands out of the tackle more often and get the ball out of contact to the supporting player, not go to ground so early all the time. He's a big strong lad and should be able to stand up in some tackles longer than he does. He's a little one-dimensional at the moment.

Good game from Dev. I'm fairly sure that he was packing down behind tighthead at scrum-time, so personally I'd call into question whether or not Denton was a good selection call. Seems to me that even taking into account his try he wasn't all that effective. I presume the selection was with an eye to getting him some more gametime before the B&I Cup semi after his six-week suspension though, so it makes some sense.

Jamie Hagan was really impressive when he came on – a real pity that he didn't show that sort of form earlier in the season [and he didn't], because he likely would be staying at Leinster if he had, rather than going to the international career graveyard that is London Irish.

Cooney's box-kicking was brutal, otherwise he had a decent game and some nice moments. Great return from J10 [7 from 7 off the tee and a whole host of line breaks] and typically high-grade performances from Drico and Isa.

Fionn Carr reverted to his super-ordinary pre-Christmas form, for whatever reason. He doesn't seem to be able to beat players on their side of the gainline or run away from backs anymore, and thus just doesn't bring a lot to the team. From my perspective, while we are losing a lot of outside backs next season [Isa to retirement, Conway to Munster, Carr to Connacht, Luke for probably the first half], Carr is realistically not a massive loss in performance terms. He's had a good few chances and it's time to move on, whether it be Hudson, Boyle or Byrne ... just somebody who will give us more.
I actually thought Denton did quite well. Tackle and rucked well, and took a few lineout balls. Certainly one of his better performances in blue.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Madigan

getting worried about Bent too now, he's had a full season almost to catch up/upskill but Hagan is streets ahead of him now (almost think deciding to move gave him a mental boost), really can see Martin Moore overtaking him next year, and we cant have Mike Ross flogged to death either (side not if Ross doesnt get Lions hope Kiss gives him summer off)

I'd have Sexton actually, think he's still ahead of Madigan in terms of managing the play and is the better player, though good to have the options and could see a good argument for Madser too.

In fairness to Bent, he's had no preseason. We've seen the likes of Hagan, Strauss, Wright take time to adjust, so I'd give him some time, but I agree, Moore should be given a lot of time next year.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I thought Cooney was decent too. He has good "cadence" like Redan. By which I mean he can speed up our game by arriving quickly at rucks and getting the ball moving quickly. His pass is good too. Box kicking is an issue for many very good scrum halves at one time or another. Has a decent break too. Perhaps his option taking can be improved by more gametime? Or perhaps the odd slap in the head.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Think we should rotate the 10 spot to some degree, perhaps a horses for courses approach. Next week we may need Sexton's decision making and experience. The followi g week perhaps Madser's creativity.

Great options to have. Bringing either of them on to change or close out a game is just incredible.

Both are phenominal kickers too.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

johng wrote:I thought Cooney was decent too. He has good "cadence" like Redan. By which I mean he can speed up our game by arriving quickly at rucks and getting the ball moving quickly. His pass is good too. Box kicking is an issue for many very good scrum halves at one time or another. Has a decent break too. Perhaps his option taking can be improved by more gametime? Or perhaps the odd slap in the head.

Agree 100%. There were some flaws to cooneys game today, but overall I thought he had a very positive game. Snappy service. Good technique.

On a separate note, anyone know who will be the ref for the Hairsprays game?
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:I was about 10 mins behind watching the 2nd half. My sky box calved at about 58 mins (luckily I could go next door) missed the 4th and 5th tries though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjD8H2lL9Q
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Madigan

I'd have Sexton actually, think he's still ahead of Madigan in terms of managing the play and is the better player, though good to have the options and could see a good argument for Madser too.

In fairness to Bent, he's had no preseason. We've seen the likes of Hagan, Strauss, Wright take time to adjust, so I'd give him some time, but I agree, Moore should be given a lot of time next year.
he had no preseason with us (Feek and Gibbes only got to him in November) but he had a full NPC before he arrived
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Mad Dog for next week but Sexton for the Ospreys
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
johng wrote:I was about 10 mins behind watching the 2nd half. My sky box calved at about 58 mins (luckily I could go next door) missed the 4th and 5th tries though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjD8H2lL9Q
Thanks Donny.

Just got my sky box back on the road. The missing 10 mins were there.

Subs all happened while I was missing.

I saw big Leo as waterboy. Anyone else think Jeno got stuck in just in case we needed a hand with the 4 tries?