sign him

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leezer
Enlightened

sign him

Post by Leezer »

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: sign him

Post by AdamK »

Why? He's 31 now.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Not an area we need a signing really, especially with good players coming through too. Would be better using NIQ in back-three / centre or lock imo.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

we'll be found out next season.

watch this space
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

[Jackass] wrote:Not an area we need a signing really, especially with good players coming through too. Would be better using NIQ in back-three / centre or lock imo.
Don't agree with you there. Neither Cooney not McGrath are ready yet and Reddan and Boss are neither as good as Fourie nor any younger. I think we have long lacked a real option at SH- someone to take the eye and pressure off the 10. With Madigan having to carry a ridiculous amount of pressure next year, we could do with Fourie. I think his age will suit too- not overly expensive and not likely to block the young lads as they mature and become first choice in 18 months to two year time.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

artaneboy wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Not an area we need a signing really, especially with good players coming through too. Would be better using NIQ in back-three / centre or lock imo.
Don't agree with you there. Neither Cooney not McGrath are ready yet and Reddan and Boss are neither as good as Fourie nor any younger. I think we have long lacked a real option at SH- someone to take the eye and pressure off the 10. With Madigan having to carry a ridiculous amount of pressure next year, we could do with Fourie. I think his age will suit too- not overly expensive and not likely to block the young lads as they mature and become first choice in 18 months to two year time.
Agreed. Not sure FDP is the man but we are in.trouble. think we've enough to get by the league but if we've another SF in clermont I would not fancy our chances at half back. It'll be 2 years since we last played a game of that importance. Boys have gotten old. Just the wqy it is
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Edit: Actually don't care :)
Last edited by Logorrhea on April 10th, 2013, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Cooney is 23 in less than a month, if he isn't ready to step up he never will be.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Cooney needs a significant run at the start of next season if we're to know whether he's got the goods to be a first choice HEC player or a Pro12 player. Hot on his heels is the need to get Luke McGrath a bit more game time in a senior shirt. You can't go without having a top quality scrum half if you want to compete. I've a feeling that McGrath will be the one but he still needs to continue to develop. His passing has improved significantly but that's still not to say that it is where it needs to be especially off his left. His defence, kicking and breaking game are quality though so if he can hone his pass, we've a real option there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Someone made a good point (Simon?) that we should try and get McGrath to sign a new deal now before the JWC because who knows what could happen if he lights up that tournament?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah think i said mcg has stellar rwc for wolfpuppies and a pro deal in uk looks better than academy and 4th choice here

always a 9 on bench so no probs a 33/4 year old playing 50 mins start or benching
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I think a decent SH that'd bridge the gap between Cooney and Boss/Reddan would be nice, but I can't see it happening... Also Pienaar holds that position for NIQ.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

artaneboy wrote:
Not overly expensive? He's probably earning €600k+ p.a. in Japan.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

for 600k we could sign sexton :-)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Scrum Half(Du Preez?), Winger/Utility (Willie Le Roux?) & Tight Head Prop who can be trusted to play 30 mins in key games as 2nd half replacement for Mike Ross (34 in Dec) should be the priorities if we want to compete with Clermont/Toulon/Toulouse next season.

If Mike Ross gets injured we know we are in big trouble. It's too important a position not to have 2 good options in a big game.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

There was talk of some SA prop being looked at, from the top 14.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

hugonaut wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Not overly expensive? He's probably earning €600k+ p.a. in Japan.
Is he? Do we know that? If so- and wants to maintain that wage we can't afford him. But don't over-estimate the love of money to a player. Coming to a club like Leinster to play in the Heineken Cup.... For a still ambitious player, that has to be worth taking a drop to mere €400K or so. if Fouire is not that type of player- we don't want him anyway.

On Cooney being 23 and being ready now or never. I don't know about that. Was Sexton ready in 2007-8 when Felipe was 'blocking' him? Or did playing and competing withg a master bring him on?
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

There's no chance in hell we'd pay 400k for a scrumhalf, you're having a giraffe! :D
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I take your point about us looking vulnerable at scrum-half, but I think we're more vulnerable in the more publicised outside back positions,and should look to use up our NIQ slot(s) and money there (especially with Cooney and McGrath coming through).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

AdamK wrote:There's no chance in hell we'd pay 400k for a scrumhalf, you're having a giraffe! :D
Well- I just picked that figure out of the air as being less than €600K! I've frankly no idea what he would cost. But none of us have- so let's decide if we want him in principle and whether he's available before rubbishing it. What I will say is that I see nothing at all worng with paying big money for a top quality player in ny position that gives us a crucial edge. I think we have potential weakness at SH which a top class signing could change to a major strategic strength.