Pro12: Munster v Leinster, Shelbyville, Sat 13th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Pro12: Munster v Leinster, Shelbyville, Sat 13th

Post by AdamK »

So, bored, wanted to get the ball rolling on this. Last attempt to rescue our league season and it's against our rivals. A lot will hinge on how they get on tomorrow. The best result we can hope for, win or lose for them, is that it's a bruising encounter and our extra few days off will give us an extra zip. Providing there's been no knocks or bangs I'd guess our first team will be rolled out again, along the lines of:

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Leo
5. Toner
6. Locky
7. SOB
8. Heaslip
9. Boss
10. Madigan/Sexton
11. Isa
12. Darce
13. BOD
14. Ferg
15. Rob

16. Cronin
17. McGrath/HVDM
18. Hagan
19. Roux
20. Ruddock/Dippy
21. Cooney
22. Sexton/Madigan/Goodman
23. Conway

So nothing new there, except perhaps Sexton and BOD coming back into the mix. I think that'd be massive for us, especially considering our defensive issues. The Sexton thing is funny though, if he is fit this week he'd be a massive boost and yet at the same time could be totally off the boil considering it's a big derby and he's been out almost 2 months. Plus the Messiah has risen again in the form of Madigan. I don't know, Madigan is fast becoming one of my favourite players, and a real fruit of the Leinster ideology and system, he represents everything I played for as a kid - throwing the ball around and running around the bigger lads in my class for fun, on the other hand, he still is a million miles off Sexton's ability to control a game, read a game, and his foresight is completely off Sexton's. I thought in the Glasgow game, Ulster game, and Wasps game we got butchered out wide and apart from the Wasps game we didn't look like penetrating the game attack wise because of his inability to look up and put players into space whilst running. He needs to learn when to pass and when to show and when to run and pass.

Munster are off the boil, but it's still not the best place to go for a young OH who's still missing all of the above skillsets. If Sexton's fit, I'd start him.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Pro12: Munster v Leinster, Shelbyville, Sat 13th

Post by Donny B. »

I would see a lot of merit in starting Sexton for the remaining League games and Mad Dog for the remaining Amlin games....
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Win, lose or draw, our league campaign is still pretty much unchanged. Chances are we'll have an away semi at this rate anyway, but we will definitely make the play-offs.

As for the game it's self, with all due respect, Munster are an absolutely dire team. Their season will without question be over tomorrow, so the visit of Leinster will be their cup final, but I still think we should win handy enough.

As good as Madigan has been, I would go with our best team, which would be Sexton at 10. Perhaps Madigan at 15 and Rob and Isa on the wings? I'm not sure, probably not, but in terms of quality, Munster dont even compare imho, but sadly this will be their entire season next weekend, as they'll have nothing to play for. Either way, meh, wouldn't worry about it, a win would be nice, but at this point I don't think it will change much. Two more wins, we get third and lets just go for 2 trophies.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Glasgow are not home n hosed yet for a home semi. Some tricky games to come. We need to win to have a chance of catching them however. Madigan or Sexton, that's a tough call.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

For this match I'd start with Carlos Madigan and have Johnny on the bench. For 2 reasons, firstly match fitness and secondly I think it sends out the wrong signals to the wider squad when an understudy is replaced, after some superb performances, the minute the numero uno is fit again.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Bones wrote:For this match I'd start with Carlos Madigan and have Johnny on the bench. For 2 reasons, firstly match fitness and secondly I think it sends out the wrong signals to the wider squad when an understudy is replaced, after some superb performances, the minute the numero uno is fit again.
Whilst true it may be no harm to give Madser a breather also. How many games has he started on the bounce for us recently? Though maybe the time to have him on the bench with Jonny starting is for Zebre.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Bones wrote:For this match I'd start with Carlos Madigan and have Johnny on the bench. For 2 reasons, firstly match fitness and secondly I think it sends out the wrong signals to the wider squad when an understudy is replaced, after some superb performances, the minute the numero uno is fit again.
+1.

Madigan deserves to start but i'd deffo bring on Johnny at some stage to run amok, cos' as sure as night follows day, Johnny will relish putting them to the sword and finishing off their season.
3 Gold Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
+1.

Madigan deserves to start but i'd deffo bring on Johnny at some stage to run amok, cos' as sure as night follows day, Johnny will relish putting them to the sword and finishing off their season.
This
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I reckon Mads will get more from this start, long term. Every chance to start in the 'Hot' atmosphere of somewhere like Thomond is experienced banked.

It's not really a must win game, Mads is in great form and Jonny is not match fit.
Anyway, let Racing worry about getting Jonny match fit. Well done Jonny for his Paris deal, but our successful HCup campaign next season will be based on Mads.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

I'd like to see Madigan and Boss given a breather this week and Leinster go with Sexton and Cooney. See what Cooney's made of starting in a big game but surround him with plenty of experience.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

[Jackass] wrote:Win, lose or draw, our league campaign is still pretty much unchanged. Chances are we'll have an away semi at this rate anyway, but we will definitely make the play-offs.

As for the game it's self, with all due respect, Munster are an absolutely dire team. Their season will without question be over tomorrow, so the visit of Leinster will be their cup final, but I still think we should win handy enough.

As good as Madigan has been, I would go with our best team, which would be Sexton at 10. Perhaps Madigan at 15 and Rob and Isa on the wings? I'm not sure, probably not, but in terms of quality, Munster dont even compare imho, but sadly this will be their entire season next weekend, as they'll have nothing to play for. Either way, meh, wouldn't worry about it, a win would be nice, but at this point I don't think it will change much. Two more wins, we get third and lets just go for 2 trophies.
So if Munster are rubbish and the game isn't that important, why do we need to play our best team?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

sid wrote:So if Munster are rubbish and the game isn't that important, why do we need to play our best team?
I wouldn't be writing Munster of for either today's or next week's matches. On their day they have enough to beat a Quins team who are experiencing a bit of a dip in form and they can certainly make our life very difficult on their home patch next week.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Funny thing is, if they beat Quins they will more than likely rest their team next week! :D If they lose... It'll be a bitter grudge match as always.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
+1.

Agree. Johnny to start the following week against Zebre.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

It'll be interesting, either way, and I trust Joe to make the right call.
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

News of Munster's demise has been greatly exaggerated.
Exley
Bookworm

Post by Exley »

They could put out a shell of a team against us at this rate, which would be no bad thing for us...
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

AdamK wrote:Funny thing is, if they beat Quins they will more than likely rest their team next week! :D If they lose... It'll be a bitter grudge match as always.
They have the win at the Stoop, they'll still care about this game.
thomond2006
Learner

Post by thomond2006 »

[Jackass] wrote: Munster are an absolutely dire team. Their season will without question be over tomorrow, so the visit of Leinster will be their cup final, but I still think we should win handy enough.
Sorry to burst your bubble
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

AdamK, why do you state resuce our league season? Guaranteed play-off spot. Think we've learned topping the league is not a pre-requisite.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."