Holy Saturday it's Leinster V Ulster Batman!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Holy Saturday it's Leinster V Ulster Batman!

Post by TerenureJim »

Think last nights win was a big one in the context of how the top four finish up, if Munster can do us a favour in Glasgow and we can beat Ulster at the RDS we could be sitting pretty for a home semi & possibly final.

Having most players back training in a full squad, minus injuries, and another week's distance from the poisonous feeling of the six nations and another weeks training together under Joe and we should be looking pretty strong.

Also going to be a great atmosphere having the Ulster fans down, always great traveling support and great banter with them.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Holy Saturday it's Leinster V Ulster Batman!

Post by Hippo »

It's quite a stretch to imagine that Munster could do us a favour in Glasgow just at the mo
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Cullen, Toner, Locky, SOB, Heaslip, Boss, Godigan, DK, Darce, MCF, Isa, RK

VDM, Dundon/Strauss, Hagan, Roux, Jenno/Murphy/Ryan, Cooney, EOM, Conway

Not sure about MCF at 13, or whether he'll even be back, but best use of resources if he is.
Reckon we'll have enough in that.

Is Strauss back soon?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think we may see Strauss this week or next.

I would go with this. Hagan has earned his spot ahead of Bent and possibly McGrath over VDM. Form & development over proven quality.

Healy
Cronin
Ross
Cullen
Roux
McLaughlin
O'Brien
Heaslip

Boss
Madigan
Nacewa
D'Arcy
O'Malley
D Kearney
R Kearney

Strauss/Dundon
McGrath/Van Der Merwe
Hagan
Toner
Jennings
Cooney
Macken/Carr
Conway
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Great thread title too TJ. Not much between my team and Wixies.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Well, this is the mid-point of the "Big Three" season defining games.

If we beat Ulster, then we are in a very strong position in the Pro12, really a home semi would be all but secured and we would have a great chance of a home final if we got there.

Then we would turn our attentions to arguably the toughest of them all, a massive game away to Wasps that if we win, we could but a very nice gloss on an otherwise very disappointing season in terms of Europe.

I hope to see as strong a team as we can field available in this one, as Ulster may be another step up from Glasgow, notwithstanding current form, but a good win and denying them a losing bonus is a reasonable target I feel.

I'd like to see

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Roux
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip

9. Boss
10. Madigan
11. D Kearney
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Malley
14. Nacewa
15. R. Kearney

16. Strauss 17. McGrath 18. Hagan 19. Toner 20. Murphy / McLoughlin 21. Cooney 22. Macken 23. Conway
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I think with the players available to both teams we could still see us nab a winning 4 try bonus, Afoa in the scrum/loose is key for me. Nullify him and we nullify Ulster. I think we can get to Jackson and Madigan has another opportunity to show why/how he should be the No. 1 out half for Ireland on the summer tour assuming Sexton goes on tour to Oz with Lions.

Will need a big show from our backrow/9 to put pressure on their halfbacks.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I think we could "want it more" as they will (rightly) be focusing on sarries and we will be prioritising the league.

They have not beaten us outside of Ravenhill since the same millennium as the battle of hastings.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Don't know why you wouldn't have Carr on the bench, he's 10/12 cover and we've enough wide out cover in Conway.

Would have a lot more faith in him coming on than Carr/Macken.

Also, wouldn't start Roux. Very loose last night and against a possible Tuohy/Muller combo we'll need the experience.

Also, I thought Jennings was ineffective and fairly out of it last night. Would start Locky for his lineout and carrying.

Any likely Ulster team?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hold on. In what universe does Carr cover 10/12?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah I think you meant Goodman. Would agree if he is not injured. thought he might be as he was not in the 23 last night.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:Don't know why you wouldn't have Carr on the bench, he's 10/12 cover and we've enough wide out cover in Conway.

Would have a lot more faith in him coming on than Carr/Macken.

Also, wouldn't start Roux. Very loose last night and against a possible Tuohy/Muller combo we'll need the experience.

Also, I thought Jennings was ineffective and fairly out of it last night. Would start Locky for his lineout and carrying.

Any likely Ulster team?
You may have been mistaking Boss for Jenno, thought he put in a decent shift!
Edit: aside from the flying Bakkies
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:Ah I think you meant Goodman. Would agree if he is not injured. thought he might be as he was not in the 23 last night.
Haha yes Goodman!

Didn't see or hear of any injury, though didn't he go off in the last Rabo game?

Did see him training in that recent gym video floating about though.

As an aside, I've been very pleased with him as a signing. Fitted in very well and we'll need him before end of season.
Maradona10
Bookworm

Post by Maradona10 »

I'd definitely start Jenno, he's been excellent all season. Didn't think Locky was great last night, so I'd have Murphy on the bench. He covers all the backrow positions too, which is a bonus.
"Andy Goode? More like Andy Foooooooode" - Phil Kearns
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Murphy hadn't a great game last night though. Sob and Jamie should start. So locky starting with Jeno on the bench. Locky was off the pace (as was roux) so perhaps the other way round. Ryan was good too. If you were to drop Locky or jeno he could come into it. with sob able to cover 8 and him able for 6 or7.

I think Ryan and Toner replacing an obviously knackered Roux and Locky helped turn the game for us. Hagan for bent too.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

johng wrote:Murphy hadn't a great game last night though. Sob and Jamie should start. So locky starting with Jeno on the bench. Locky was off the pace (as was roux) so perhaps the other way round. Ryan was good too. If you were to drop Locky or jeno he could come into it. with sob able to cover 8 and him able for 6 or7.

I think Ryan and Toner replacing an obviously knackered Roux and Locky helped turn the game for us. Hagan for bent too.
Toner made some crunching tackles but his ball carrying hasn't been as good as last season.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

johng wrote:Ah I think you meant Goodman. Would agree if he is not injured. thought he might be as he was not in the 23 last night.
I actually spoke to mister Goodman before the match last night (super nice fella). He said he had taken a knock across his thigh but would be back soon (didn't specify when though). He also said he's lovin it here and has arranged to stay on for next season. So there ya go!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wasn't watching Roux particularly closely last night but from what I did see, he was clearing out rucks brilliantly and showed a real appetite to get to them too. One thing I have noticed is that he often comes in from the side and I'm sure it won't be long before opposing captains get in the ref's ear about it. However, he's getting away with it now and the important thing is that he is willing and able to do some great cleaning out. So I'd like to see him start again, could be useful against Ulster.

Also thought Toner and Hagan were impressive off the bench yesterday. Both looked angry and very eager to make impressions. Bent started well in the loose and seemed determined to make an impression too but I'd have Hagan on the bench ahead of him this week.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yeah McFadden will defo not be back and tbh I don't think Darce or EOM were at the Races yesterday. I'd love it if Goodman was back, he was really hitting form for us.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

AdamK wrote:Yeah McFadden will defo not be back and tbh I don't think Darce or EOM were at the Races yesterday. I'd love it if Goodman was back, he was really hitting form for us.
I'm really starting to worry about you Adam - you appear to be in desperate need of a trip to specsavers. How can you possibly say Darce was not at the races last night.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever