Knowledgeable

Re: Wasps QF

Post by Benji »

Thanks lads
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

AdamK wrote:As expected, although I still think Ferg at 13 is the wrong call... I think it's his weakest position.
I know what you're saying, but I think it's the right call. I hate the Goodman/Darce midfield combo, two inside centres and we suffer badly in terms of creativity and pace. Outside centre the worst for Ferg in terms of attack certainly, but the defence has generally been pretty tight when the two of them have played there together. Certainly those two won't be drifting deep like last week, they'll be looking to get up and make hits.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ror wrote:That is a serious wasps back row...
Is it? Launchbury's a lock filling in for Haskell. Never heard of Jones and Johnson and I'll take you word for it, but surprised Vunipola isn't starting.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

True, although I think we're in the same position as Ferg is more of a IC than an OC, and well I'm going to come out and say it, but I think Goodman has been playing better than Darce in the last few games. He was one of our more decent backs against Ulster, and even took over SH duties when Boss wasn't getting to rucks quick enough. I think he's really hitting form now. A Goodman/Ferg partnership could've been interesting... But defo not the right time to try it out.
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

That side looks good, We need Ross and Healy to give us some platform in the scrum and for the pack to scrum as 8.
McLoughlin put in some great carries and tackles last week. Heaslip was playing well also.
Cant wait for this. Thank f**k its on Friday and not Sunday as the nerves would be shot.
Sew it into them lads
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

AdamK wrote:True, although I think we're in the same position as Ferg is more of a IC than an OC, and well I'm going to come out and say it, but I think Goodman has been playing better than Darce in the last few games. He was one of our more decent backs against Ulster, and even took over SH duties when Boss wasn't getting to rucks quick enough. I think he's really hitting form now. A Goodman/Ferg partnership could've been interesting... But defo not the right time to try it out.
Really? I thought he was hopeless. Part of the drift defence that sat back miles and offered nothing in attack. He's a decent enough journeyman that will do a fine job during the Six Nations but think his lack of pace and real class is exposed against better teams.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

AdamK wrote:Two players I hope find some decent form; DK and Boss
Agree with this, the whole team have been struggling but the two lads haven't been at the races at all. Cooney must be wondering just how bad Boss has to get before he'll get any significant game time. Hopefully they'll lift it this week.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I don't think we can pin any player to that drift defense, it was clearly a team tactic in fairness. I think he's really come on leaps and bounds. In the Scarlets game he was outstanding. Come next season he'll only get better too. Also, at the end of the day, he does the simple things right, and the simple things for an inside centre is; break the gain line, distribute, and tackle. He does all three things very well, albeit not very flashy.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

waterboy wrote:
AdamK wrote:Two players I hope find some decent form; DK and Boss
Agree with this, the whole team have been struggling but the two lads haven't been at the races at all. Cooney must be wondering just how bad Boss has to get before he'll get any significant game time. Hopefully they'll lift it this week.
In fairness, Cooney butchered two overlaps last week that would've won us the game had he passed right instead of breaking left. I think Cooney is a fantastically solid player, but will only develop awareness like that from experience, not by dropping him in the deep end.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LONDON WASPS:
15: Elliot Daly
14: Christian Wade
13: Andrea Masi
12: Chris Bell
11: Tom Varndell
10: Nick Robinson
9: Joe Simpson
1: Zak Taulafo
2: T Rhys Thomas
3: Phil Swainston
4: Tom Palmer
5: Marco Wentzel CAPTAIN
6: Joe Launchbury
7: Sam Jones
8: Ashley Johnson
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Tom Lindsay
17: Tim Payne
18: Will Taylor
19: Jonathan Poff
20: Billy Vunipola
21: Charlie Davies
22: Stephen Jones
23: Hugo Southwell
LEINSTER:
15: Rob Kearney
14: Dave Kearney
13: Fergus McFadden
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Ian Madigan
9: Isaac Boss
1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Jack McGrath
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Quinn Roux
20: Shane Jennings
21: John Cooney
22: Andrew Goodman
23: Andrew Conway
REFEREE: Pascal Gauzere (FFR), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Neil Hennessy (WRU), Giuseppe Vivarini (FIR), TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Not full strength, but a team we would have been envious to be able to put out earlier the season. It's a good side.

D'Arcy's back, Isa is covering 10, Jennings impact sub.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Whats Gauzere like as ref? Lets hope he is not from the Poite school
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:Not full strength, but a team we would have been envious to be able to put out earlier the season. It's a good side.

D'Arcy's back, Isa is covering 10, Jennings impact sub.
Goodman might be ahead of Isa for 10 cover. In theory anyway.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

enby wrote:Whats Gauzere like as ref? Lets hope he is not from the Poite school
He's not great TBH, but he's better than Clancy!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

AdamK wrote:I don't think we can pin any player to that drift defense, it was clearly a team tactic in fairness. I think he's really come on leaps and bounds. In the Scarlets game he was outstanding. Come next season he'll only get better too. Also, at the end of the day, he does the simple things right, and the simple things for an inside centre is; break the gain line, distribute, and tackle. He does all three things very well, albeit not very flashy.
True but I'd still expect a 16 stone centre to impose himself more on his opposite number, especially a young fella like Olding, who must have thought this senior rugby thing was a great lark until Isa brought him back down to earth (literally) with a fierce wallop of a tackle in the second half.

So Adamk, you're saying your dream Leinster centre pairing for next season is Goodman/Laulala?

Frankly, I'm getting a little concerned about you.... :?

:wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Donny B. wrote:
ror wrote:That is a serious wasps back row...
Is it? Launchbury's a lock filling in for Haskell. Never heard of Jones and Johnson and I'll take you word for it, but surprised Vunipola isn't starting.
Turns out I have heard of Johnson.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/PlayerDisplaySS. ... ayertype=P

Remember him from a few years back with the Springboks, and looked handy enough but then seemed to disappear without trace. Didn't know he ended up there.

Jones seems to be a highly rated young openside alright.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/PlayerDisplaySS. ... ayertype=P
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Donny B. wrote:
AdamK wrote:I don't think we can pin any player to that drift defense, it was clearly a team tactic in fairness. I think he's really come on leaps and bounds. In the Scarlets game he was outstanding. Come next season he'll only get better too. Also, at the end of the day, he does the simple things right, and the simple things for an inside centre is; break the gain line, distribute, and tackle. He does all three things very well, albeit not very flashy.
True but I'd still expect a 16 stone centre to impose himself more on his opposite number, especially a young fella like Olding, who must have thought this senior rugby thing was a great lark until Isa brought him back down to earth (literally) with a fierce wallop of a tackle in the second half.

So Adamk, you're saying your dream Leinster centre pairing for next season is Goodman/Laulala?

Frankly, I'm getting a little concerned about you.... :?

:wink:
Hahah, nah, in all honesty, Ferg/EOM is my preferred future partnership, but Goodman/Lualala would be an excellent pairing for the 6N when Ferg & EOM are off tearing it up in green shirts in Joe's new team. ;)
Sedated_FMS

Post by Sedated_FMS »

To those of you traveling to Wycombe and who get the OLSC email a few things:
If your renting a car from London Airports - second Wycombe exit (Junction 4) on the M40, go to the park and ride by the Cinema (follow signs to Cressex/Aylesbury). Adams Park is cr@p for parking and a nightmare to get to by car with heavy traffic. If yer coming from Birmingham, same junction.
The pub the OSLC have recommended is a dive, as are most pubs in Wycombe actually. But there is one saving grace - the Bootlegger, near the train station. A quality pub, >300 bottled beers and ciders, 6 quest ales a week (has a special arrangement with the Rebellion brewery in Marlow), Guinness and a few premium largers on tap. http://thebootleggerpub.co.uk/ A lad from Wexford has a 1/6th share in the place.
For food there is the usual soul-less chains in town, a TGIF and a Vatican out by the park and ride, but the odd gem like the Sausage Tree, and no I'm not recommend some dodgy bar. Great food, I'd recommend one of the blackrock grills. http://www.sausagetreepub.co.uk/. If yer felling plush you could always take a trip down to Marlow and go to the Hand and Flowers, a two Michelin star pub. SWIFTGFM took me there on our anniversary, exquisite food and not as pricey as you might imagine. http://www.thehandandflowers.co.uk/.

All the best, an exiled Munner supporter.