Wasps QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Wasps QF

Post by Hippo »

Damn. Still can't get remotely worked up about this one. No injuries please.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

PicklesWasp wrote:Varney, Wade and Daly say hi :)
Exactly, and we have been leaking tries for fun of late.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Come on Leinster!

Wasps have only lost two European cup games in Adams Park. The second of those was the Amlin Cup QF last year which they lost 23-26 to eventual champions Biarritz who are waiting in the semi final.

I'm nervous about tonight but really want a Leinster win so that we have a shot at a game in the RDS every weekend in May.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
PicklesWasp

Post by PicklesWasp »

Broken Wing wrote:Come on Leinster!

Wasps have only lost two European cup games in Adams Park. The second of those was the Amlin Cup QF last year which they lost 23-26 to eventual champions Biarritz who are waiting in the semi final.

I'm nervous about tonight but really want a Leinster win so that we have a shot at a game in the RDS every weekend in May.
We hadn't lost at home all season until our last two home games :shock:

Throw in a defeat at Worcester and our form hasn't been good at all.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hippo wrote:Damn. Still can't get remotely worked up about this one. No injuries please.
Feck. I hope the team don't feel the same. Otherwise it won't be a fun trip at all.

Every premiership fan reckons we will walk it. I can see it being nerve wracking.
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

johng wrote:
Hippo wrote:Damn. Still can't get remotely worked up about this one. No injuries please.
Feck. I hope the team don't feel the same. Otherwise it won't be a fun trip at all.

Every premiership fan reckons we will walk it. I can see it being nerve wracking.
Could be tough game v wasps, they will see leinster as probably one of the top 2 teams in european rugby coming to play them,therefore they are a scalp to be had, it doesent matter about what cup its in. If ye were still in the h cup ye would still be first or second favourites to win it. the damage to leinster this year was done in the home games to scarlets and exeter by not picking up bp's. Anyway i guess thats all water under the bridge. i think leinster will have enough to win but it could be close. A final awaits if ye do,best of luck, hopefully ye do win as i have tickets to shift.
Retired
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

PicklesWasp wrote:
Degz wrote:Just don't see anything in that Wasps side that should frighten us. We should be comfortable here.
Varney, Wade and Daly say hi :)

Will be back on Monday to eat my words.

Enjoy the game guys. AP should be rocking tonight, looks like a sell out.
I think most of us know that, given an opportunity, the Wasps back three can score against any back line in the world. However, they also have significant weaknesses. If Sexton was playing, I'd be very confident that we could expose those. As it stands, it's going to be a tight game and, unfortunately, Gauzere is going to have a big say in who wins. I wonder if Launchbury as a flanker may backfire if he tries to disrupt our ball. Gauzere is so harsh in that area and Launchbury is not going to be inconspicuous at 6'6" and 18 stone.

Hopefully we get any sort of win and then we've a great chance at some silverware. Best of luck, PW (as long as you don't win!)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

red49 wrote:
johng wrote:

Could be tough game v wasps, they will see leinster as probably one of the top 2 teams in european rugby coming to play them,therefore they are a scalp to be had, it doesent matter about what cup its in. If ye were still in the h cup ye would still be first or second favourites to win it. the damage to leinster this year was done in the home games to scarlets and exeter by not picking up bp's. Anyway i guess thats all water under the bridge. i think leinster will have enough to win but it could be close. A final awaits if ye do,best of luck, hopefully ye do win as i have tickets to shift.
We got a bp at home to the Scarlets
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

johng wrote:
Feck. I hope the team don't feel the same. Otherwise it won't be a fun trip at all..
Don't worry, I'm sure it's just me!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote:
red49 wrote:Could be tough game v wasps, they will see leinster as probably one of the top 2 teams in european rugby coming to play them,therefore they are a scalp to be had, it doesent matter about what cup its in. If ye were still in the h cup ye would still be first or second favourites to win it. the damage to leinster this year was done in the home games to scarlets and exeter by not picking up bp's. Anyway i guess thats all water under the bridge. i think leinster will have enough to win but it could be close. A final awaits if ye do,best of luck, hopefully ye do win as i have tickets to shift.
We got a bp at home to the Scarlets
Yep, the damage was done in losing at home to Clermont. We got 9 points against both Scarlets and Exeter, which is a good haul, and only 2 against ASM.
Really, its come down to 2 home losses in different competitions in making it a difficult season. Both were to quality sides though.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This one could come down to Joe's Plan versus Dai's Plan. I know which one I am betting on!

It's impossible to know what is the mindset of a team like Wasps who were going well through December, January & Feb and then fell off the log in the past couple of weeks. Picking two of your best players out of position (Daly and Launchsbury) is a fairly radical way of trying to dominate a game against a team with the credentials of Leinster. We need quick ball from tackle / ruck area to give Boss opportunity to move to Mads, Darce & Ferg. However, we also need Isa, K2 & Robert to hit the line in strange places because this pitch is tight and they have huge pace in their back three and we won't be going around the outside.

We will miss Reds tonight. Dry but absolutely bitter cold, we need the quickest ball possible to Mads to have a run at Robinson and their big back-row. They have picked a huge back-five but not convinced that they all have the pace of reaction if we can make line-breaks and keep the ball alive. We should shade their front-row in the scrums, but it will be a heavy-duty battle. 2nd Row will be a real contest and is probably their best unit. Our back-row should compensate, especially if we can get SOB taking up quick ball in the right areas. Half-backs could also be tight. They have real pace at SH but we have better ability at OH.

So long as we can get the pace of the game high and avoid too many scrums for Monsieur Gazeure to dominate the game, I'm hopeful that Joe's Plan will beat Dai's Plan. But everything crossed and dotted
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dexter wrote:
cormac wrote: We got a bp at home to the Scarlets
Yep, the damage was done in losing at home to Clermont. We got 9 points against both Scarlets and Exeter, which is a good haul, and only 2 against ASM.
Really, its come down to 2 home losses in different competitions in making it a difficult season. Both were to quality sides though.
Yeah, any loss at home kills you. We could take the BP loss away and consider it a decent bit of work because the 4 points from a home win means you don't even have to go away to the weaker teams looking for the BP. We would have got through without those last two BPs had we won the home game against Clermont.

A BP win against Exeter in the first round simply wasn't on the cards given the difficulty we had fielding a team at the time. You get bonus points if you empty your bench and they have journeymen and you have internationals. We had injured kids on the bench. We were never going to pull away.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Very tough one to call but I can't see much reason for people to think we should walk it. If we show up in anywhere near prime European form, you'd think we'd be too much and too clever for Wasps but we still look like the disrupted team we are. Still a lot of players out of form - Healy, Boss, Jamie, Kearneys; or coming back from injury - Strauss. Even when we were good in Europe this season, so much hinged on Jonny. I really hope MadDog has a stormer tonight and outplays the very flaky Robinson in what is probably his 1st real appearance in front of a British audience. He's gotta be careful with kicking to that back 3 though.

I think we should keep it tight - lots of mauls (which they have trouble defending), one out runners. I can see it being a high scoring game - both defences have been poor recently
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

I think where we really lost out was in not getting at least a draw over in Clermont. If we had won our lineouts and used even some of our opportunities there we would have got out of the group at least.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Any link for the game? The wench has only gone and cancelled sky sports! :cry:
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Any link for the game? The wench has only gone and cancelled sky sports! :cry:
I'm hoping this one will work
http://www.coolsport.tv/stream11.html
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Any link for the game? The wench has only gone and cancelled sky sports! :cry:

http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-2.php
working fine now, should be OK when game kicks off.
3 Gold Stars
colin
Beginner

Post by colin »

You want to ditch her lol the nerve of her
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

I've bad memories of my last visit to Adams Park but the support for the team was great

Hope those who are there raise the roof to night .

Getting nervous now and really want to win. C'mon Leinster !
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Best of look lads and ladies, should be an enjoyable game. I will be keeping a close eye on kearney minor, one of the talented bunch of young Irish back coming through the system, and one of my favorites
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.