Thank you Isa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Thank you Isa

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

As someone said further up the thread up there with Holwell and Dr Phil as the best best overseas signings we've ever had.

Thanks for everything Isa. A true Leinster legend!!!!

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I'll miss him when he goes.

From the understated way that he suggested to Cheiks that he might have broken his arm that time right near the start of his time here, to the hoovering up of man of the match awards when he nearly was a one man team when the internationals were away.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I'll miss him. The hits. The tries. The hypnotic bounce of his hair when he ran. Damn it the man had it all!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Massive move to make, i can't but think there is more to this than is being said. Leaving leinster is one thing but retiring is a little bit odd, i hope it is for the right reasons.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oulart
Learner

Post by Oulart »

Allowing Carr and Conway to leave must mean the Brains Trust are assuming Luke will reject moving to Turnipville(and therefore not wasting his talent on backline moves that could be conjured up by a stoned 2 year old) Surely he doesn't want to waste his natural talent a la Keith Earls (judged to be international standard only on Munsterfans and Declan Kidney!)
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Physically he is broken from injuries. But what a player he was....
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote:Massive move to make, i can't but think there is more to this than is being said. Leaving leinster is one thing but retiring is a little bit odd, i hope it is for the right reasons.
If he is leaving Ireland it kind of makes sense for him to retire.

He needs to go back to NZ for personal reasons. Salaries are lower there, especially since he wouldn't be one of the top earners there like he is at Leinster.

At the end of the season he will have been with leinster for 5 seasons. If he retires and takes his tax back he will probably get a decent lump sum.

Given that he has said before that he wants to end up his career a bit younger than normal he would only play for another two or maybe three seasons.

Is it worth it financially to play in NZ for 2-3 seasons where he will be on a smaller salary than he is here or should he just take his tax break lump sum.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Are foreign nationals entitled to the tax breaks? Even if they are, it wouldn't be worth a whole pile to him. I read recently that bod is due.around 600k back, so Isa would be due a bit less than that i would assume.

Apart from all that, Isa doesn't strike me as the type of guy that plays rugby purely for money.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I normally do not truck with this kinda thing, but I reckon this Saturday 15 mins in we let rip with that chant. Let the great man know that he is forever blue!
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Isa is leaving...

Thanks big man we won't forget u.... come back any time
#ScrapTheLions
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Magical player, fantastic influence on the team, gave it all for Leinster and thorough gent.

We'll miss you, Isa.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote:Are foreign nationals entitled to the tax breaks? Even if they are, it wouldn't be worth a whole pile to him. I read recently that bod is due.around 600k back, so Isa would be due a bit less than that i would assume.

Apart from all that, Isa doesn't strike me as the type of guy that plays rugby purely for money.
Yes.

I don't know Nacewas salary, it has been mentioned that he is the highest paid player on a provincial contract for a few years now. My guess is 200Kish.

Anyway for all I know the personal reasons that are brining him back to NZ will demand a significant investment in time and he won't be able to play professionally.
BigL
Learner

Post by BigL »

Dont forget that he was also responsible for bringing Joe Schmidt to Leinster.....

We will miss him - he had it all, and gave it all.

Best of luck and thanks
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

His arm is f%~ked lads. He's not retiring for money. Savage player, and a great man. He'll be badly missed.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

CiaranIrl wrote:His arm is f%~ked lads. He's not retiring for money. Savage player, and a great man. He'll be badly missed.
If he was injured wouldn't he be insured for some amount?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

so f%~ked he wont play again this year?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Isa Nacewa....a magnificent player & gentleman, gave his all and some in the Blue jersey. Teak tough with the heart of a laighin. An absolute pleasure to watch him do his thing over the years for Leinster.

As is the case with players like Isa long after their departure, we will smile fondly and eulogise about him in the coming years when his name comes up in casual conversation.

Thank you Isa for the joy you brought me.
3 Gold Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So much man love for this guy. Supremely skillful and one of the most committed players I've seen.

I just loved the way that there was excitement around the ground whenever he got the ball and if there was a high ball then you knew Isa was going to come from nowhere like a train and knock everyone out of the way to get it.

There are plenty of moments of magic but one of my favourite things about him was when he'd hunt someone down near the touchline and then bounce up straight away and tear into whoever was at the ruck for the opposition. He must have been a nightmare to play against.

Thanks Isa, you'll be missed!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Off the top highlights for me have to be....

The time when he chopped Chabal in half.
The time when he scored off the restart in last year's league final.
The time when he beat the entire Leicester defense to score one of the best Heineken Cup tries of all time.
The time when he denied Clermont a try by catching a bombed kick one handed and then using the other hand to fend and then racing up the pitch.
All THOSE tackles.
All THOSE catches.
All THOSE tries.

Absolute legend. Always had time for an aul chat too.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tate wrote:so f%~ked he wont play again this year?
Is he not playing on Saturday?