Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

roarlad
Learner

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by roarlad »

With the season suspended, and with Leinster only due to have 2 more home games (ignoring a potential Pro 14 semi), these against Zebre and the Blues..
Would it be prudent to start with the Redevelopment plans ASAP.

The Horse Show is not until mid-July (some 4 months away).
They could get a considerable amount started now, and try to minimise further disruption during next season's fixtures.
Thoughts? Anyone out there?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’m out here!

It’s not the worst idea. So far the building sites are still operating, given that they’re outdoor and everyone is a few metres apart. But there’s a big emphasis on “so far” there.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote:I’m out here!

It’s not the worst idea. So far the building sites are still operating, given that they’re outdoor and everyone is a few metres apart. But there’s a big emphasis on “so far” there.
No chance.........yet. But, if this runs & the Horse Show wasn't going to be held in August there might be a chance. Remember, the RDS is currently unable to host any form of show so they need every penny and will do everything to avoid disrupting their Premier annual event, especially if the Olympics are called off as must now be a major possibility.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

No chance.........yet. But, if this runs & the Horse Show wasn't going to be held in August there might be a chance. Remember, the RDS is currently unable to host any form of show so they need every penny and will do everything to avoid disrupting their Premier annual event, especially if the Olympics are called off as must now be a major possibility.

We are probably in the early days of a global financial crash. I can't see that there is sufficient short term confidence to go forward with this project at the moment.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
roarlad
Learner

Post by roarlad »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Well, here we are, one month later.
The Horse Show is cancelled:
https://www.dublinhorseshow.com/plan-yo ... orse-show/

Construction looks to be one of the industries being given permission to restart.
Prime opportunity to redevelop.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

roarlad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Well, here we are, one month later.
The Horse Show is cancelled:
https://www.dublinhorseshow.com/plan-yo ... orse-show/

Construction looks to be one of the industries being given permission to restart.
Prime opportunity to redevelop.
They're looking for €15m from the government. Difficult to see where that is going to come from at this point in time.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How about an interest free loan from our sponsors BoI? Infrastructure spending is gonna be massive to get the EU back on its feet.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Maybe stadium designs will need to re-evaluated to allow for greater separation
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

In the town hall meeting recently Mick Dawson said they are now considering a Plan B option on the stand seemingly it's a paired down version of the Angelsea stand! It's amazing that we are over 7 years on this thread and not a single block has been laid and money is still not fully in place. As alot of people pointed out 7 years ago, we should never have gone down this road and should've built our own stadium. Hindsight and all that!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

locho wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 11:50 am In the town hall meeting recently Mick Dawson said they are now considering a Plan B option on the stand seemingly it's a paired down version of the Angelsea stand! It's amazing that we are over 7 years on this thread and not a single block has been laid and money is still not fully in place. As alot of people pointed out 7 years ago, we should never have gone down this road and should've built our own stadium. Hindsight and all that!
'Build our own stadium' sounds good, but is it reality?

I assume you'd be happy enough to have a stadium in Tallaght or somewhere?

Because the other option would be to buy 7-8 acres of land in the most expensive area in Ireland?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We had our own stadium, Donnybrook. I love that place but leaving it was the right move.

Projects like this get held up sometimes because they aren't quite right and there are difficulties.

If the case for investment isn't strong then sometimes it shouldnt go ahead. I havent always been convinced about how it could pay back a large investment.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

wixfjord wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am 'Build our own stadium' sounds good, but is it reality?

I assume you'd be happy enough to have a stadium in Tallaght or somewhere?

Because the other option would be to buy 7-8 acres of land in the most expensive area in Ireland?
Well Donnybrook would've been the ideal site only for the Tennis court and other issues, but ye even if it meant moving it out of D4 not a huge problem for me personally. IGB site still available too. It just seems like we've ham strung ourselves financially in the long term with the RDS, are we debt laden no but can we ever independently expand our revenue not really. Does it matter? maybe not but it would be great as a leinster supporter to be able to show up to a game in your own stadium and knowing that every cent you spend goes directly to the club.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Every cent you spend going directly to the bank to service the debt more like
I have Bumbleflex
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

locho wrote:In the town hall meeting recently Mick Dawson said they are now considering a Plan B option on the stand seemingly it's a paired down version of the Angelsea stand! It's amazing that we are over 7 years on this thread and not a single block has been laid and money is still not fully in place. As alot of people pointed out 7 years ago, we should never have gone down this road and should've built our own stadium. Hindsight and all that!
Am I right in saying that in the town hall meeting Mick Dawson said the plan is for the RDS plus investors to build the new stadium and leinster will only be chief tenants. No leinster or IRFU money will be involved in the building.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The IRFU money would go into the RDS Development but with a new Lease with significently varied terms which would create far more beneficial terms of tenancy for Leinster e.g. proportion of turnover in all licenced outlets on Leinster match days.

Development was always going to be by RDS as they are the owners of the ground. Leinster or IRFU were never going to build something which would be owned by somebody else without some very particular benefits accruing to them.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 6:03 pmLeinster or IRFU were never going to build something which would be owned by somebody else without some very particular benefits accruing to them.
Like the FAI did?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Morf wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 7:43 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 6:03 pmLeinster or IRFU were never going to build something which would be owned by somebody else without some very particular benefits accruing to them.
Like the FAI did?
They are co owners of a 60 year lease
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Oh I know but it reverts back to IRFU ownership.

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

60 years is more than the normal lifetime of the building. They wont have a claim on the land in the future.

The RDS wouldnt give up their land either, but they are probably somewhat more resistant also to sharing ownership of a long term lease. The stadium is not the core business of the site. It is for Lansdowne Road.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »