[Official] Jimmy Gopperth signs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: [Official] Jimmy Gopperth signs

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Watch the Aviva highlights last night. That Steenson lad looks very handy indeed.
I watched some of that match live, he had the game of his life, his Orquera moment if you will

he was in and out of the team half the season with that Argie lad
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Armchair wrote:
Keith wrote:According to a Falcons fan. He was on 200k+ a year. I hope he isn't costing us that much.
He will and maybe a small bit more even. Turnips will have to pay RoG around the same next year to stop him retiring. Who would you rather have?
If that's sterling, I doubt very much whether he'll be on anything close to it. It wouldn't be unreasonable for Gopperth to take something of a pay-cut to play in the Heineken Cup instead of mucking it in the Championship. He's a very talented player who has been something of a nearly man in terms of his generation of NZ fly-halves. Definitely deserved more than 1 cap for the Junior ABs when you consider the number of players who have been given full international honours by NZ over the past 5-10 years.

In all, I think it's an extremely astute piece of business by Leinster. Gopperth is not a guy who's going to arrive with a massive ego and expect to start the big games. He will understand that he'll have to fight for his place in the team. When he does play, he'll do so in a style becoming of a Leinster number 10 - solid fundamentals coupled with genuine attacking flair.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Don't forget you get bonuses in our setup; assists, tries, points kicked, games won, all come with monetary bonuses. So even if he did take a cut in salary, he has incentive to make it up.

Having said that, I have no idea what, if any, the bonuses are in the AP/championship.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

AdamK wrote:Don't forget you get bonuses in our setup; assists, tries, points kicked, games won, all come with monetary bonuses. So even if he did take a cut in salary, he has incentive to make it up.

Having said that, I have no idea what, if any, the bonuses are in the AP/championship.
How does the bonus system work? I'm not sure i want Outhalf to be bonused on try scoring for exampleto be honest...
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

AdamK wrote:Don't forget you get bonuses in our setup; assists, tries, points kicked, games won, all come with monetary bonuses. So even if he did take a cut in salary, he has incentive to make it up.

Are you sure the bonus system applies at Leinster ?
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

bonuses vary on a contract to contract player to player basis, its very rare in the AP because bonuses count as salary when looking at the salary cap. I think that Leinster offer an Appearance, a Starting, and a MOTM bonus to most of their players.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

naraic wrote:

bonuses vary on a contract to contract player to player basis, its very rare in the AP because bonuses count as salary when looking at the salary cap. I think that Leinster offer an Appearance, a Starting, and a MOTM bonus to most of their players.
A motm bonus - is this normal? Has Frankie used RTE to enrich his clients?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

ribs wrote: A motm bonus - is this normal? Has Frankie used RTE to enrich his clients?
He probably gets a cut under the terms of his deal with his clients :D :D

I wouldn't have inside information its just an impression that I have that players get a motm bonus.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Herdwicks wrote:Falcons fan here just to say you've signed one hell of a player. Signed as the replacement for the departing Jonny Wilkinson after 12 years of service, he has proved to be the complete package for a fly half. Impeccable goal kicking, immense speed with agile-ness and he tackles everything. Those saying Joel is better are indeed fibbing however Joel shows amazing skill for someone aged 20. Real shame for falcons fans that the club has rather imploded in the last two years due to a combination of a lack of funds and poor coaching. Jimmy easily owns madigan, and he's better than nick evans. Had he been in newzealand for the rwc I would have picked him over colin slade.

Everyone is sad to see him leave but we wish him well going to such a successful club like leinster playing hc rugby.
Look after him :(
That's a ringing endorsement....sounds like we signed Dan Carter!

It seems Jimmy likes a tackle. The professional era exposes weak defending flyhalf's. Could be a smashing piece of business.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Flash Gordon wrote: How does the bonus system work? I'm not sure i want Outhalf to be bonused on try scoring for exampleto be honest...
It might explain Madigan's great try scoring stats :wink:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Maybe ROG got bonususes for territory gained. Would explain a lot.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:

Maybe ROG got bonususes for territory gained. Would explain a lot.
those culchies and their land :P
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

ratpack wrote: Would love Will Genia though!!!!
Ruan Pienaar.
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

Love the use of Latin Dave. Class that the doc would have appreciated! :clap:
Dave Cahill wrote:
rooster wrote: In that case Dave why then bring in a NIQ when there are just as good already at home ?
Not stirring or anything here by the way just trying to get my head around it.
My thoughts are probably the same as David Humphreys on this, which is bring in NIQ players who add overall to the side and pass knowledge on to younger players but if they are not any better than your own players they should not be brought in at all.
What happens next season for the HEC matches, do you trust Madigan or do you play Gopperth ? If you play Gopperth then you have conceded he is better than Madigan so why in that case did you not go for a really good replacement for JS ?
I know you're not stirring, don't worry about that!

As things stand, Leinster have decided that, ceteris paribus, Madigan will be our starting 10 next season. We have a young fella in Reid also but hes very callow, and thats not going to work for a team that aims to challenge in Europe and domestically, so an experienced journeyman (and I mean that in its more literal sense than the derogatory sense that it has evolved into) is required. Hes this years Shaun Berne or Matt Berquist. Now it could be that Madigans form falls off a cliff and Gopperth ends up starting, but its not the plan from what I can see.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Vamos los azules wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: How does the bonus system work? I'm not sure i want Outhalf to be bonused on try scoring for exampleto be honest...
It might explain Madigan's great try scoring stats :wink:
True! :D

His try scoring is phenomenal for an Outhalf. Which is excellent because if you're defending you just never know what he's going to do!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

suisse wrote:
ratpack wrote: Would love Will Genia though!!!!
Ruan Pienaar.
When is Genia contracted up to with ARU? He'd be a great bit of business given our slight age gap for development of scrummies between the ageing Reds/Boss and he'd be a perfect bridge in there developing the up and coming guys. Plus probably best scrum half in the world today.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Le Duvet wrote:Love the use of Latin Dave. Class that the doc would have appreciated! :clap:
Dave Cahill wrote:
rooster wrote: In that case Dave why then bring in a NIQ when there are just as good already at home ?
Not stirring or anything here by the way just trying to get my head around it.
My thoughts are probably the same as David Humphreys on this, which is bring in NIQ players who add overall to the side and pass knowledge on to younger players but if they are not any better than your own players they should not be brought in at all.
What happens next season for the HEC matches, do you trust Madigan or do you play Gopperth ? If you play Gopperth then you have conceded he is better than Madigan so why in that case did you not go for a really good replacement for JS ?
I know you're not stirring, don't worry about that!

As things stand, Leinster have decided that, ceteris paribus, Madigan will be our starting 10 next season. We have a young fella in Reid also but hes very callow, and thats not going to work for a team that aims to challenge in Europe and domestically, so an experienced journeyman (and I mean that in its more literal sense than the derogatory sense that it has evolved into) is required. Hes this years Shaun Berne or Matt Berquist. Now it could be that Madigans form falls off a cliff and Gopperth ends up starting, but its not the plan from what I can see.
Cuncti adsint meritaeque expectent praemia palmae...;-)
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Cuncti adsint meritaeque expectent praemia palmae

'Delay continuously meritaeque expectent to send forward glory' :? according to
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o ... to=English
or is it
'Let all appear and look for the prize' :? :? as per Google Translate
elfan
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:
rooster wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Better than Nick Evans!

Somehow I think that's unlikely, but one can hope!
If he is better than Nick Evans Madigan will only start if he is injured !
If he is better than Nick Evans then I am better than Jamie Heaslip

I;d say you probably are - at fixing servers.....!!
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

I am not thrilled by this signing to be honest.

If Madigan is to be our senior #10 next year then I believe that his understudy should be a young Irish player. If Madigan is not to be our senior #10 and it is to be a NIQ player then I believe it should be someone truly world class.

Gopperth is not world class. I'm not convinced from his Super Rugby days. Now that he is one of ours I wish him every success in the world of course. I'm all for foreign players at Leinster but IMO any foreign players here should be the best in their positions in Ireland and setting a benchmark for young players to emulate. I don't agree with having foreigners as backup players.