[Official] Jimmy Gopperth signs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: [Official] Jimmy Gopperth signs

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:my logic in loaning mcgrath out (if we dont release a senior 9 prob Boss next summer) is he gets gametime/improves but is still our player (if he is still 4th choice)

if hes 4th choice, out of contract, other clubs come calling he might decide to leave altogether when he graduates academy

let us also remember he has played 1 solitary senior game too
He's made four appearances for Leinster.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:my logic in loaning mcgrath out (if we dont release a senior 9 prob Boss next summer) is he gets gametime/improves but is still our player (if he is still 4th choice)

if hes 4th choice, out of contract, other clubs come calling he might decide to leave altogether when he graduates academy

let us also remember he has played 1 solitary senior game too
He's made four appearances for Leinster.
its one start though or has he made more? (tried to check before orig post on leinster site but no appearances given for him)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

One start, three sub appearances
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I claim a moral victory
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
.... I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that we're short at least one winger .
Wouldn't diagree with that sentiment and would love to see Macken given 3/4 games early next year in that position. He has steamy pace and swerves both directions (had to phrase that delicately) and defending on wing is reputedly easier than the centre
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Lamb of BOD wrote:
.... I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that we're short at least one winger .
Wouldn't diagree with that sentiment and would love to see Macken given 3/4 games early next year in that position. He has steamy pace and swerves both directions (had to phrase that delicately) and defending on wing is reputedly easier than the centre
EOM I've always felt could be a winger, has the pace and the footwork and probably decent kicking skills as schools outhalf, just not big enough for centre IMO
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Wouldn't diagree with that sentiment and would love to see Macken given 3/4 games early next year in that position. He has steamy pace and swerves both directions (had to phrase that delicately) and defending on wing is reputedly easier than the centre
simonokeeffe wrote:
EOM I've always felt could be a winger, has the pace and the footwork and probably decent kicking skills as schools outhalf, just not big enough for centre IMO
agree with both of those statements, although if either of those players moved out wider it would leave us short a centre, imo. The main point as it appears to me is that, over the course of the league and Heineken campaigns, you need to have two players per position plus a (an academy) guy hovvering around the fringes - someone who can come in and do a job temporarily but who isn't sufficiently far along in his development to merit consideration on a regular basis. Unless I;m forgetting someone, we've Luke, McF and Dave K on the wings with Daren Hudson as the back up. Leaves us a winger short. It could be, of course, that Hudson is going to move up next season with Coghlan-Murray as back up. In which case we should be covered
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Lamb of BOD wrote:
Thankfully Leinster centres tend to be small. :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

aye but darce and BOD hard as nails and incredibly strong ie capable of stopping big players on gainline
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

simonokeeffe wrote:aye but darce and BOD hard as nails and incredibly strong ie capable of stopping big players on gainline
EOM is actually a very, very stout defender. Probably the best aspect of his game. Besides BOD/Darce only got hard as nails by playing week in week out. If EOM wasn't so plagued with injury he'd be halfway there.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

AdamK wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:aye but darce and BOD hard as nails and incredibly strong ie capable of stopping big players on gainline
EOM is actually a very, very stout defender. Probably the best aspect of his game. Besides BOD/Darce only got hard as nails by playing week in week out. If EOM wasn't so plagued with injury he'd be halfway there.
O'Malley is never going to be able to stop many guys from making offloads too
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Poor old Jimmy will come on here some day thinking there is a long thread about him, but really its about everyone else.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Not loving his performance today.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:Poor old Jimmy will come on here some day thinking there is a long thread about him, but really its about everyone else.
well at least the thread didnt end up about Hitler
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Gopperth played today in the second leg semi final of the championship playoffs to guarantee Newcastle a final appearance with a 34-30 aggregate win over leeds.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

This thread now over 10 Years old....and look who Leicester name at 23 for tomorrow... extraordinary longevity...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

How many 40 year old Pro's at OH have there been since Hugo Porta? I know he won't be 40 for a couple of months (and also plays centre) but.....