Dragons v Leinster match thread

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Dragons v Leinster match thread

Post by johng »

The other thread seems to be about the tv whys and wherefores. Soooo......

No sign of Van Der Merwe or Isa so probably not see them this week. Roux will probably fall into the "week too soon" category by Thursday.

Stuck 2 wingers on the bench as we have centre cover in Luke & Ferg and OH cover in Goodman.
Stuck all the Ireland Bench in as starters for gametime

McGrath
Cronin
Bent
Toner
Marshall
Ryan
Jennings
Murphy

Reddan
Madigan
McFadden
Goodman
O'Malley
Fitzgerald
Kearney

Dundon
O'Connell
Hagan
Cullen
Ruddock
Boss
Conway
Carr
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Dragons v Leinster match thread

Post by AdamK »

You'd drop Reid? Bit harsh. He needs all the game time that can be afforded.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Reid will make it as he cover 10 12 15
Roux got the dreaded might be a week too soon today

That team should be strong enough for at least 4 points
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

johng wrote: Reddan
Madigan
McFadden
Goodman
O'Malley
Fitzgerald
Kearney
Switch McFadden and Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald is more of a 11 and McFadden can play both wings but is a little better at 14

Also I think I'd give Boss a weekend off, he came off last match as a precaution so I'd give Cooney the run off the bench next time
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

naraic wrote:
Madigan
McFadden
Goodman
O'Malley
Fitzgerald
Kearney
Switch McFadden and Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald is more of a 11 and McFadden can play both wings but is a little better at 14

Also I think I'd give Boss a weekend off, he came off last match as a precaution so I'd give Cooney the run off the bench next time
On the wingers. Yeah, you're right. I never considered the side they were on just stuck them in there. Last time Luke was at FB with Dave K and Ferg on the wings.

On Reid. Yes he does need the game time, yes he will probably be in the squad. I just have a bit of a downer on him at the moment.

On your username. Since I saw it I have been thinking it was a bit of an unsavoury reference to Captain Robert Nairac.

However I have just realised it is also Ciaran backwards (almost) so perhaps that's it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:The other thread seems to be about the tv whys and wherefores. Soooo......

No sign of Van Der Merwe or Isa so probably not see them this week. Roux will probably fall into the "week too soon" category by Thursday.

Stuck 2 wingers on the bench as we have centre cover in Luke & Ferg and OH cover in Goodman.
Stuck all the Ireland Bench in as starters for gametime

McGrath
Cronin
Bent
Toner
Marshall
Ryan
Jennings
Murphy

Reddan
Madigan
McFadden
Goodman
O'Malley
Fitzgerald
Kearney

Dundon
O'Connell
Hagan
Cullen
Ruddock
Boss
Conway
Carr
I'd start Cullen in this game ahead of Marshall, with Ruddock ahead of Ryan too. Just a personal preference on that front. In the backs, right players but probably the wrong positions for the back three. Marshall and Ryan on the bench with Reid replacing one of Conway/Carr.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

johng wrote: On your username. Since I saw it I have been thinking it was a bit of an unsavoury reference to Captain Robert Nairac.

However I have just realised it is also Ciaran backwards (almost) so perhaps that's it.
I'm afraid that I'm a young lad and that Captain Robert Nairac is a long time before my day. Never made any connection before you mentioned it so you can safely assume its not a reference to it. In fact it is the wrong spelling for it naraic instead of nairac.

You are however correct that it is Ciaran backwards which is my first name.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

So, for those of us braving Rodney Parade (One of my favourite grounds in fact) I assume its Hazel Terrace for tickets as usual??
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Really, Ive always thought the place was a kip especially on a Friday evening.

Looking forward to it though.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

It is a kip, adds to it's charm..

Not making the trip now, flying to Paris at silly o'clock on Sat morning for the Stade v Clermont game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Degz wrote:It is a kip, adds to it's charm..

Not making the trip now, flying to Paris at silly o'clock on Sat morning for the Stade v Clermont game.
pity same thing never worked for Musgrave Park
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

naraic wrote:
Madigan
McFadden
Goodman
O'Malley
Fitzgerald
Kearney

Boss's passing was as bad as I've seen. Despite his long experience, maybe he needs a run to get the yips sorted. But then Cooney was far better, so I'd be delighted to see him get the call.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johng wrote: On your username. Since I saw it I have been thinking it was a bit of an unsavoury reference to Captain Robert Nairac.

Funny, I thought that too! Shows our age, I suppose? Sorry I know you're a bit sensitive on that topic... :wink:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Stade clermont rather than the boys in blue - sacre bleu
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Degz wrote:It is a kip, adds to it's charm.

Yeah, Newport (and RP) is a lovely shithole.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikey wrote:So, for those of us braving Rodney Parade (One of my favourite grounds in fact) I assume its Hazel Terrace for tickets as usual??
Oh of course. Looking forward to it, although judging by some of the comments on the Dragons fans forums after the 60 point defeat two weeks ago, there mightn't be too many Dragons fans there.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

mikey wrote:So, for those of us braving Rodney Parade (One of my favourite grounds in fact) I assume its Hazel Terrace for tickets as usual??
Seems so...http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/olsc/11049.php
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:
Degz wrote:It is a kip, adds to it's charm.

Yeah, Newport (and RP) is a lovely shithole.
It's a bit of a dump alright yet I prefer it to the plastic, empty feel of The Liberty and Parc Y Scarlets. The local fans are loud and occasionally aggressive but for me it's great fun to have a bit of banter and back and forth with the chants.

And I believe the curry chips are to die for.... (and by) :wink:
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

mikey wrote:

Stade clermont rather than the boys in blue - sacre bleu

Hmmm......what to do this weekend......Newport? Paris? Hmmmm.....so difficult to choose.... :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Men of Gwent are pleased to see the return of Aaron Coundley to the squad.

Coundley suffered a bicep injury away at Adams Park against London Wasps back in October 2012. Since then the prop has taken to the field for Bedwas and also proved his fitness for 40 minutes for premiership side Newport RFC when they played against Pontypridd last Friday; he also appeared for the last 10 minutes of the Dragons match against Glasgow.

Alongside this there is a new face to the squad; James Thomas has been called up from Bedwas after impressing for his team. Thomas is who 22 and who was born in Newport, has honours from both Wales U18s and U20s. The second row was on the bench, for the regional side last weekend, after Rob Sidoli pulled out with illness.

The Men of Gwent suffered a shoulder injury to centre Ashley Smith during the clash against Zebre. But both Lewis Robling and Matthew Pewtner have been named in the Newport Gwent Dragons extended squad to face Leinster.

Dragons’ only loss in their last five fixtures in all competitions was at home to Glasgow Warriors in their most recent contest at Rodney Parade. The Men of Gwent’s only victory over an Irish province since September 2011 was 14-3 at home to Connacht on 23 November 2012.

Dragons Squad to face Leinster
Hallam Amos, Dan Evans, Tom Prydie, Matthew Pewtner, Will Harries, Adam Hughes, Jack Dixon , Pat Leach, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones, Wayne Evans, Jonathan Evans, Jevon Groves, Ieuan Jones, Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, James Thomas (Bedwas), Rob Sidoli, Adam Jones, Ian Nimmo, Phil Price, Aaron Coundley, Owen Evans, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Tim Ryan, Nathan Buck, Hugh Gustafson, Sam Parry

Players not selected through injury;
Dan Lydiate (Ankle), Hywel Stoddart (Knee), Steve Jones (Bicep), Tonderai Chavhanga (Knee), Andy Tuilagi (Hamstring), Tom Brown (Ankle), Mike Poole (Ankle), Darren Waters (Calf) Ashley Smith (Shoulder).