Sexton to Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Sexton to Racing

Post by ceemec »

Feature in Midi Olympique stating that Sexton will be on €55k a month at Racing. It also says Wilkinson is only on €47k a month and Habana €42k a month.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I bet he still wishes if he'd known he was going to go to france for real he could have signed for clermont
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:I bet he still wishes if he'd known he was going to go to france for real he could have signed for clermont
But Clermont are the one team in France that don't need him. James outplayed Sexton in Lansdowne Rd.

Obviously Toulon don't need him either because they wouldn't know what to do with him.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

fourthirtythree wrote:But Clermont are the one team in France that don't need him. James outplayed Sexton in Lansdowne Rd.
We were outplayed all over the park, but especially up front. James had a fairly easy ride for an away 10 in Dublin.

Not trying to get into a my 10 is better than your 10 argument, but James's frailties are well known, and one performance do not make them go away. For a team looking to dominate Europe as Clermont, I'd imagine they would be looking for an improvement in the 10 shirt.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well I don't think there's a 10 to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, shake it like a rag doll, and impose himslelf, like Sexton. Just that James is pretty decent, and he's been playing well.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

So would that make him highest payed on the planet?
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Amazing that he'll make more in 5 months than what he originally wanted to be paid by the IRFU.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jimbobjoe wrote:So would that make him highest payed on the planet?
Nope. Jaque Fourie is way ahead of him at Kobelco Steelers: he's earning anywhere between €820-990k p.a. depending on who you read [the source for the high end is here: http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rug ... WLxsKWaAdU ]. That's between €74k/month and €82k/month.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Clermont and Stade also talked to him/were used as a negotiating ploy

IMO Clermont would have been a better fit (maybe culturally/lifestyle) rugby wise in that they play much better/open rugby than RMP and will defo be in H Cup. At worst James cant start every game and they have no serious backup so even if he was second choice sexton would have gotten serious gametime but think we can all agree he would challenge/push for a place at the least
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

hugonaut wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:So would that make him highest payed on the planet?
Nope. Jaque Fourie is way ahead of him at Kobelco Steelers: he's earning anywhere between €820-990k p.a. depending on who you read [the source for the high end is here: http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rug ... WLxsKWaAdU ]. That's between €74k/month and €82k/month.
What an unbelievable waste of money. Fourie's a very good player, but not worth anything near that kind of cash in terms of what he brings to a team.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

simonokeeffe wrote:Clermont and Stade also talked to him/were used as a negotiating ploy

IMO Clermont would have been a better fit (maybe culturally/lifestyle) rugby wise in that they play much better/open rugby than RMP and will defo be in H Cup. At worst James cant start every game and they have no serious backup so even if he was second choice sexton would have gotten serious gametime but think we can all agree he would challenge/push for a place at the least
Racing are guaranteed HEC rugby next season barring a collapse. They've been on fire in the T14 since Christmas.

Also, they signed Mike Delany from Japan. One time All Black and pretty solid player to replace Skrela. They also have Ludovic Radosavljevic who is a young, improving player and actually started at the weekend ahead of Skrela. They're pretty well set at outhalf.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well I don't think there's a 10 to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, shake it like a rag doll, and impose himslelf, like Sexton. Just that James is pretty decent, and he's been playing well.
Yeah- of course. But Sexton's WAY BETTER! Simple as. Isn't that the basic (if unsustainable) rationale of signings for Top 14 clubs?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Clermont and Stade also talked to him/were used as a negotiating ploy

Racing are guaranteed HEC rugby next season barring a collapse. They've been on fire in the T14 since Christmas.

Also, they signed Mike Delany from Japan. One time All Black and pretty solid player to replace Skrela. They also have Ludovic Radosavljevic who is a young, improving player and actually started at the weekend ahead of Skrela. They're pretty well set at outhalf.
racing still playing 10 man rugby though? my main argument was Clermont's style would suit Sexton more
plus if they had him they wouldnt have signed delany :) and isnt Ludo more a 9 though that had to fill in?
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a more full gameplan embraced by a Sexton led Racing Metro team, especially with the other signings they've made.
mhow
Knowledgeable

Post by mhow »

Should this discussion be moved to General Rugby from Leinster Addicts - a discussion on French clubs?
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... ext-season

Leinster fly-half Jonathan Sexton has revealed that he would have preferred to remain at the province next season.

"If me and Leinster sat down I'm sure I would be there next year but that's not the way it works.
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Stupid politics!
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

Can we please let this thread die?? I hate reading things like this :(
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

nopeare wrote:Can we please let this thread die?? I hate reading things like this :(
How do you feel about reading things like this
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

ronk wrote:
nopeare wrote:Can we please let this thread die?? I hate reading things like this :(
How do you feel about reading things like this
:D that did keep me happy for awhile but we all know he's gone anyway.....he was one of the reasons I didn't want to go to Irish games, I still supported from home but reading things like that from Sexton makes me not want to give the IRFU another penny. I think we all knew he didn't want to go, but I was happier fooling myself thinking he wanted the money and/or change of lifestyle and the missus was pushing him because it was Paris.