Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote: On Sat, we got to see what happens when the pack decide to take on their oppo forwards and to bully a team up front. The pack took up the dirty ball very well, which was less often than normal because we were rucking over it, and the backs actually took on the decent ball at a good depth and line.
Yeah, we smashed into them at the breakdown. Two or three times we were over-zealous and got pinged for leaving our feet, but given how amped-up the pack were taking the pitch, you could live with that for the game that was in it. We'll need to cut it down against Exeter, but hopefully we'll have O'Brien back in the starting line up and Strauss and Locky on the bench, all of whom are very good around the contact area.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I thought that was one area we got away with a lot actually, going off the feet at the breakdown. In general it's barely policed at all by any ref, like most things these days, it's a lottery on what rules are enforced, but in the lead up to our last try it was border line comical how lads were jumping into the ruck from the Leinster side.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
jezzer wrote: On Sat, we got to see what happens when the pack decide to take on their oppo forwards and to bully a team up front. The pack took up the dirty ball very well, which was less often than normal because we were rucking over it, and the backs actually took on the decent ball at a good depth and line.
Yeah, we smashed into them at the breakdown. Two or three times we were over-zealous and got pinged for leaving our feet, but given how amped-up the pack were taking the pitch, you could live with that for the game that was in it. We'll need to cut it down against Exeter, but hopefully we'll have O'Brien back in the starting line up and Strauss and Locky on the bench, all of whom are very good around the contact area.
Would you bring Locky back after the way Ruddock played? I wouldn't.

Dundon was brilliant when he came on, Strauss would have to be tearing it up in training for me to go with him.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I can't see Locky making the squad now tbh, he's been out too much. However, if you look at him during the away game to clermont you can see why he might be picked. He's our best ruck cleaner in the squad. Very Thorn-esque with his clear outs.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Would you bring Locky back after the way Ruddock played? I wouldn't.

Dundon was brilliant when he came on, Strauss would have to be tearing it up in training for me to go with him.
In a heartbeat. Although it is good to have Ruddock on form
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

[Jackass] wrote:I thought that was one area we got away with a lot actually, going off the feet at the breakdown. In general it's barely policed at all by any ref, like most things these days, it's a lottery on what rules are enforced, but in the lead up to our last try it was border line comical how lads were jumping into the ruck from the Leinster side.
The ruck was a mess. They were lying all over the ball, lazy runners, coming in the side, sealing off. So we started blasting them out of it and rucking over the ball. Half the time though guys were rucking thin air and more or less flopping over onto the Llanelli side. We were definitely doing it, but it was that or concede the breakdown to the antics of the Scarlets.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Fireworks wrote:Not sure you can give out to Toner for that one as I think he was just following Leo. Leo appears to have that special skill of entering the side door but being invisible to the ref.

If Browne was back I think I would keep him on the bench.
What's the word on Browne?

Personally, a big fan - based on what he brings to the scrum. We struggled at both setpieces against Exeter in RDS though - which do you focus on this weekend? Exter have a couple of front row injuries, so how does that play into it?

Big ask one way or the other.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Further proof if it where required that the man is not human:

Sinéad Kissane‏@sineadkissane

Brian O'Driscoll had scan on his ankle yesterday. It was 'fine'. Asst coach Jono Gibbes said O'Driscoll should be on the field tomorrow

Good news indeed :clap:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Further proof if it where required that the man is not human:

Sinéad Kissane‏@sineadkissane

Brian O'Driscoll had scan on his ankle yesterday. It was 'fine'. Asst coach Jono Gibbes said O'Driscoll should be on the field tomorrow

Good news indeed :clap:
She also said SOB is feeling a lot better and is expected to train this week!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Strauss and McLaughlin both trained fully today too it seems.

Good news all round.

A bit too good...
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

wixfjord wrote:Strauss and McLaughlin both trained fully today too it seems.

Good news all round.

A bit too good...
Shame they only allow fifteen on the pitch at a time. But the bench should be very strong.....
Four Stars
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Leinster squad were put through their paces ahead of Saturday evening's final Heineken Cup Pool encounter against Exeter Chiefs in Sandy Park (KO: 6pm) with a training session in UCD on Monday afternoon...

Following Saturday night’s bonus point victory over the Scarlets, there are a number of niggles which will be monitored by the medical team ahead of Friday’s lunchtime team announcement prior to the squad’s departure to the south of England.

Brian O’Driscoll experienced some discomfort after rolling his right ankle which may limit his on-field involvement early in the week but the management are confident he will be fit for selection by Thursday. Cian Healy was replaced at half-time after producing a typically lung-bursting display, while Jonathan Sexton, who received plenty of physical attention from the Scarlets, was replaced by Ian Madigan late on as a precaution.

The Scarlets victory marked forward duo Tom Denton and Aaron Dundon’s Heineken Cup debuts for the province, the latter being particularly impressive with ball in hand.

Otherwise, the management should be in a position to select from a strong panel for Saturday’s game. Sean O’Brien was a late withdrawal from the game due to illness, but he is expected to resume full training this week as will Kevin McLaughlin (shoulder). Ireland hooker Richardt Strauss will be available for selection, while Isa Nacewa successfully came through his comeback game after missing the last few weeks with a forearm injury.

In a further boost, following his recent quad injury David Kearney successfully came through his comeback game in the ‘A’ team’s British & Irish Cup victory over Pontypridd earlier on Saturday afternoon in a game which also saw second row Mark Flanagan (back) return to action. The ‘A’ team travel to Leeds Carnegie this Saturday in the final round of the Pool stages (KO: 2pm).

The Official Leinster Supporters Club, in association with Bank of Ireland, have published an away guide for those travelling to Exeter this weekend which can be downloaded from www.leinsterrugby.ie this week.
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

[Jackass] wrote:I thought that was one area we got away with a lot actually, going off the feet at the breakdown. In general it's barely policed at all by any ref, like most things these days, it's a lottery on what rules are enforced, but in the lead up to our last try it was border line comical how lads were jumping into the ruck from the Leinster side.
Agree 100%. Can't understand how everyone said that the ref was awful for Leinster, he was great! Leinster players came in from the side with impunity. The only time they were pinged for it was when Luke Fitz actually walked around and came in from the Llanelli side - even that ref, bad as he was, couldn't let that one go...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

This is what I told Joe to pick. He usually just chuckles politely and tells me that it's "interesting"

Healy
Cronin
Ross
Cullen
Toner
O'Brien
Jennings
Heaslip

Boss
Sexton
McFadden
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
Nacewa
Kearney

Strauss
Van der Merwe
Bent
McLaughlin
Ruddock
Reddan
Madigan
Fitzgerald
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johng wrote:This is what I told Joe to pick. He usually just chuckles politely and tells me that it's "interesting"

Healy
Cronin
Ross
Cullen
Toner
O'Brien
Jennings
Heaslip

Boss
Sexton
McFadden
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
Nacewa
Kearney

Strauss
Van der Merwe
Bent
McLaughlin
Ruddock
Reddan
Madigan
Fitzgerald
Not starting Luke; but going with an injured BOD from the off? :? It IS interesting!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

artaneboy wrote: Not starting Luke; but going with an injured BOD from the off? :? It IS interesting!
Luke Ferg and Isa. One of them had to bench.

Drico will be fine, besides you want him starting and take him off if he's flagging rather than bang him on at 50 and he doesn't make the end of the game. We could put any of Boss, Madigan, McFadden, Isa in the centre in a pinch too. (Not in that order)
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I'd bench Isa tbh. Has much more ability to come on against a tired team and put them to the sword. Luke and Ferg to serve as hard runners and hit them up early on.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was considering that. But it felt a bit like sacrilege. I had to visit the local priest after those impure thoughts.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think Bod was injured for the first couple of days last week and that's why Joe benched him so I'd imagine he'll bench him again if he's not fit now.

If he is fit and firing then I'd start him and bench Isa too.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I'd still start him if he wasn't 100%, as already said what use is an injured player on the bench? You'll just have him going off and someone like Boss coming back on after a few minutes anyway.

If he isn't 100% he can play on the fringes and link up.