Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Hippo wrote:Really couldn't care less about the Amlin if that's where we end up, I'd much rather we concentrated our efforts on winning the Rabo.
So would I, so would most of the supporters. The organisation will be looking at the money tournament though. Looking at Dawsons comments recently, as well as Joes, it reminds you of why the tournament exists: money.
IRFU would want us to follow the money too as they get half the gate and the whole merit payments.
So we'll be going for an Amlin Cup, Rabo double. I'd definitely like us to win the Rabo. It's a way superior tournament to the Amlin.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I'd rate the Pro12 ahead of the Amlin in importance, but at the same time, I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Amlin. Hopefully we'll never get another shot at winning it, so it would be nice if we did.

Quarter would be away to Wasps, that's a tough game, but I'd hope that Joe would treat the Amlin as he would if we were in the Heineken Cup quarters. (assuming we're out of Heineken now...)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I feel for Exeter right now. They played hard every game and are better than many sides, they just got a tough group.

They put it up to us yesterday and kept playing for 80 minutes. We needed one result to go our way out of 3 and none of the teams (Toulon, Racing and Edinburgh) bothered their arses.

It's our fault for not qualifying, we should qualify from any group. At least we won't have to worry about Clermont next season.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

ronk wrote:I feel for Exeter right now. They played hard every game and are better than many sides, they just got a tough group.

They put it up to us yesterday and kept playing for 80 minutes. We needed one result to go our way out of 3 and none of the teams (Toulon, Racing and Edinburgh) bothered their arses.

It's our fault for not qualifying, we should qualify from any group. At least we won't have to worry about Clermont next season.
spot on
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

[Jackass] wrote: I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Amlin. Hopefully we'll never get another shot at winning it, so it would be nice if we did.
I was pretty pissed off with how its turned out until I read that. Very good point. If this group of players want to look back and say they've won everything that would include the Amlin so thanks for that! :lol:

On another note, is there anywhere other than OTT where I can download/watch yesterdays game? I had to cancel Sky Sports so I couldnt record it :x
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

berniemac67 wrote:
ronk wrote:I feel for Exeter right now. They played hard every game and are better than many sides, they just got a tough group.

spot on
I second that emotion
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

baaba maal wrote: it would strike me that Poite would only react negatively to having the rules explained to him at half time.
What about having the rules explained to him by BOD in the second half? For the last Exeter penalty the TG4 commentator noted how the ref said he was not releasing but BOD said to him "I'm not the tackler". TG4 replayed it and you could see that D'Arcy was.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Anyone else read Stephen jones' match report? I love his hatred
Chief Redwine

Post by Chief Redwine »

Hi all,

Chiefs fan here, just wanted to say what a great set of travelling fans you have. And while I was here I also read the whole of this thread and found it fascinating when reading a game from the opposition's view, and I'll stop right there :)

And yes, the Chiefs chant is pretty annoying, for the opposition . . . we quite like it. To be fair, we've only been in the Prem three years and a lot of our supporters still can't remember words to songs. Give us ten years and we'll be past the mono-syllabic stage. Perhaps.

All the best, I want us to meet again next year . . .

CRW
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

suisse wrote:Anyone else read Stephen jones' match report? I love his hatred
gotta link?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
gotta link?
Nah..,I don't have online sub for the times.

He is saying we benefited greatly from poites decisions.
....and had it not been for an awful refereeing performance it could have been very close indeed
He also said Leinster were "helped on their way by three profoundly questionable decisions by half time" and that the referee "lacked the stature to send odricooll to the bin." he moaned about their yellow but never mentioned boss'. Hilariously one eyed inaccurate reporting from the retard of sports journalism
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
gotta link?
There's a 'pay wall' on The Times online content now. Thanks be to God for that! It spares me being tempted to subject myself to that incompetent one-eyed tw@t.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

artaneboy wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
gotta link?
There's a 'pay wall' on The Times online content now. Thanks be to God for that! It spares me being tempted to subject myself to that incompetent one-eyed tw@t.
I've never purchased the English times since the bile the man wrote after our hc win in 2009 - and never read any more of his shite either - its great - mind you I stumbled accross Eddie shithead butlers piece in the independent but thankfully managed to drop the page before digesting too much
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

In reality we were knocked out by not beating Clermont at home, failing to score enough tries in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Sticks in the throat a bit that Toulon and Racing didnt bother showing up and really pisses me off that the Turnips are through and we're not. But none of that excuses the fact we weren't good enough this year.

In reality we did fantastically well to get the BP win in Exeter, as their results there in the last few years have shown. Good team and good luck to whoever gets them next year, you'll bloody need it!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

tate wrote:In reality we were knocked out by not beating Clermont at home, failing to score enough tries in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Sticks in the throat a bit that Toulon and Racing didnt bother showing up and really pisses me off that the Turnips are through and we're not. But none of that excuses the fact we weren't good enough this year.

In reality we did fantastically well to get the BP win in Exeter, as their results there in the last few years have shown. Good team and good luck to whoever gets them next year, you'll bloody need it!
Agree with most of that. But let's not get the revisionism going too strong on Exeter. They are a good side in an AP context, but only below or at the average for the HC. The evidence for that was the fact that we and Clermont did get the bonus point in their supposed bear-pit.

No- as you state, the failure to score tries against Scarlets (especially) and Exeter in the pre-Christmas rounds was the ultimate cause. The Clermont loss in the Aviva was extremely disappointing but- with a weakened team, more excusable.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote: No- as you state, the failure to score tries against Scarlets (especially) and Exeter in the pre-Christmas rounds was the ultimate cause.
Sin é. Especially the two Scarlets games. Should have gotten a BP over there, and scored a lot more tries here
I have Bumbleflex
Wild Tooth
Beginner

Post by Wild Tooth »

Thank you for allowing me to join in discussion on your forum over the last few months, during which time I hope I've been able to impart some local knowledge back to your travelling Supporters, on our City of Exeter, and our Club Exeter Chiefs.

To a man, women and child, all your travelling Supporters I met in Exeter were absolute ambasadors for the game of Rugby, and a great credit to your Club in the way they overcame severe travel disruptions to get to Exeter.

The match at Sandy Park was a wonderful occasion, enhanced by the presence of The Blue Army !

I and many Chiefs Supporters also thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Dublin, and your great Club.

I therefore find it very sad today to read through the "drivel " posted on this thread, from your " armchair Supporters " which has somehow left a nasty taste !

Again thank you to the travelling Blue army, and I hope you had an easier journey home, and hopefully our paths will cross again :happy clapper: :clap: :D

Wild Tooth
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Wild Tooth wrote:Thank you for allowing me to join in discussion on your forum over the last few months, during which time I hope I've been able to impart some local knowledge back to your travelling Supporters, on our City of Exeter, and our Club Exeter Chiefs.

To a man, women and child, all your travelling Supporters I met in Exeter were absolute ambasadors for the game of Rugby, and a great credit to your Club in the way they overcame severe travel disruptions to get to Exeter.

The match at Sandy Park was a wonderful occasion, enhanced by the presence of The Blue Army !

I and many Chiefs Supporters also thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Dublin, and your great Club.

I therefore find it very sad today to read through the "drivel " posted on this thread, from your " armchair Supporters " which has somehow left a nasty taste !

Again thank you to the travelling Blue army, and I hope you had an easier journey home, and hopefully our paths will cross again :happy clapper: :clap: :D

Wild Tooth
Cheers for the knowledge you've provided WT! Had some great ciders down the Old Firehouse, met lots of great rugby fans, and had a great time. I bought a Filipino friend who'd never been to a match before and he loved the atmosphere, and is definitely now a convert.

Granted, I've not gone to a Clermont game, but in my eyes your fans were the best fans I've met so far, and we had a great time singing and chatting in the wigwam and on the bus back. Given any excuse for another rugby trip to Exeter and I'll be there.

I wouldn't let the ramblings of ungraceful people bother you, every village has idiots after all.

Thanks again WT!
Anyone But New Zealand
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Wild Tooth wrote:Thank you for allowing me to join in discussion on your forum over the last few months, during which time I hope I've been able to impart some local knowledge back to your travelling Supporters, on our City of Exeter, and our Club Exeter Chiefs.

Wild Tooth
A great weekend WT, really enjoying Exeter ( will be back in Oddfellows this evening!)

Thanks for all the info. Exeter can be very proud of what they have achieved as a club and their performances in this years competition. I hope our paths will cross again soon.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

FLIP wrote:

Wild Tooth
Cheers for the knowledge you've provided WT! Had some great ciders down the Old Firehouse, met lots of great rugby fans, and had a great time. I bought a Filipino friend who'd never been to a match before and he loved the atmosphere, and is definitely now a convert.

Granted, I've not gone to a Clermont game, but in my eyes your fans were the best fans I've met so far, and we had a great time singing and chatting in the wigwam and on the bus back. Given any excuse for another rugby trip to Exeter and I'll be there.

I wouldn't let the ramblings of ungraceful people bother you, every village has idiots after all.

Thanks again WT!