Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

D2 Blue
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by D2 Blue »

Interesting article in the IT (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 46446.html) about teams giving up kickable penalties and conversions to keep the ball in play longer. Like IMad did near the end last week against Scarlets.

I wonder would Leinster try anything like this if they got a bit of clear water away from Exeter. Have to say if the game was in the bag (dont think it will be today) with some time to go it could be a good tactic to try to run up a few more tries. I've always thought there was a ridiculous amount of time wasted lining up penalties and conversions when the ball could be back in play. Of course this presumes the attacking team get the ball back and dont end up shipping a few tries. Its probably a bit disrespectful to the opposition but if it worked then what the hell.
If it worked today, it would add even more to the legend! Can't help dreaming. Just my tuppence.

Then again if voodoo worked today and got us to the quarters I'd consider that too!
Gwan Leinster!! Gwan Seapoint Dragons!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

And johnno does his routine like he's walking through treacle as well. He is the slowest...

Voodoo you say? Cmon Papa Legba, laissez les bond temps roulee!
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

D2 Blue wrote:Interesting article in the IT (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 46446.html) about teams giving up kickable penalties and conversions to keep the ball in play longer. Like IMad did near the end last week against Scarlets.

I wonder would Leinster try anything like this if they got a bit of clear water away from Exeter. Have to say if the game was in the bag (dont think it will be today) with some time to go it could be a good tactic to try to run up a few more tries. I've always thought there was a ridiculous amount of time wasted lining up penalties and conversions when the ball could be back in play. Of course this presumes the attacking team get the ball back and dont end up shipping a few tries. Its probably a bit disrespectful to the opposition but if it worked then what the hell.
If it worked today, it would add even more to the legend! Can't help dreaming. Just my tuppence.

Then again if voodoo worked today and got us to the quarters I'd consider that too!
There was an article on this in a rugby blog last week (can't remember which one) but last week was the time to do it not this week. U can elect to decline all conversions if u want r go for the DG option ala Madigan.

The stats used to back up the tactic were from WC 2011 where a total of 22mins of 80 were used for kicking either penalties or convs. 14 mins on the scrum incidentally.

Johnny would be one of the worst time wasters in this area.
D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

fourthirtythree wrote:And johnno does his routine like he's walking through treacle as well. He is the slowest...

Voodoo you say? Cmon Papa Legba, laissez les bond temps roulee!
Was he the dude in Live and Let Die with the hat and the mad laugh?
Whatever kind of maigc works today - voodoo, incantations, homeopathy.
I suppose homeopathy is taking it a bit far. A drop of water and some pot pourri won't get us five points [...waits for indignation from the 'healthy' brigade]!!
D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

locho wrote:
D2 Blue wrote:Interesting article in the IT (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 46446.html) about teams giving up kickable penalties and conversions to keep the ball in play longer. Like IMad did near the end last week against Scarlets.

There was an article on this in a rugby blog last week (can't remember which one) but last week was the time to do it not this week. U can elect to decline all conversions if u want r go for the DG option ala Madigan.

The stats used to back up the tactic were from WC 2011 where a total of 22mins of 80 were used for kicking either penalties or convs. 14 mins on the scrum incidentally.

I can forgive JS for the slow march if it gets the score but if we were coming into the last few minutes and needing a miracle score, i'd hope he would weigh up the time against the chance to bag another try.
Here's hoping anyway
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

D2 Blue wrote:
locho wrote:

I can forgive JS for the slow march if it gets the score but if we were coming into the last few minutes and needing a miracle score, i'd hope he would weigh up the time against the chance to bag another try.
Here's hoping anyway

Interesting article there, Think it is definitely something to be looked at if you are 2 scores clear (14+ points) and running out of time to score a 4th bonus point try. I'd only employ it in the last 10/15 mins though before that still chances of opposition comebacks and the minutes break is important for players to catch their breath too.

I'd say JS's slow march is as much about calming his nerves/reducing his heartbeat to help him focus than anything else
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

I can confirm that the special Blue Voodoo will be deployed to day
Exeter won' t know what's hit them

Leinster to win with 5 tries - C' mon LEINSTER !
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Blue Voodoo wrote:I can confirm that the special Blue Voodoo will be deployed to day
Exeter won' t know what's hit them

Leinster to win with 5 tries - C' mon LEINSTER !
5 tries won't be enough. We'll be out if we score 5 tries. RCM have sent their under 11s to Thomond Park. We have to go buck ape mental on the try scoring front - anything less than 8 will be insufficient.
I have Bumbleflex
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Yes just looking at Montpellier v the millionaires agree Dave

Drop goal conversions and voodoo it is so
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Is it pissing rain in Exeter?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

cwebber82 wrote:Is it pissing rain in Exeter?

may as well be, we are OUT.
3 Gold Stars
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Gonna be hard for the lads to really give a sh!t today now. Oh well, as Joe put it mathematically unlikely outcomes rarely happen. If you have to depend on others you're f%~ked.

We're f%~ked.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Some nearby locations are reporting frezzing rain
http://www.weather.com/weather/right-no ... _ite=today
2-3 degrees celsius. Mostly cloudy feels colder than it because of the rain.

Game won't be as interesting now that we are likely out
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Nothing less then 8 tries by the look of it.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

According to those at the ground conditions foggy ,cold and pitch not great wet/ heavy ............... But not snow ......... Sounds like all the conditions we do not want !
jhc99
Knowledgeable

Post by jhc99 »

Just realised the game is on sky sports3, only have one and two! sh!t.

Anyone have a live stream?
In BOD we trust
borders
Learner

Post by borders »

First Row Sport (EU)
borders
Learner

Post by borders »

jhc99
Knowledgeable

Post by jhc99 »

Great thanks
In BOD we trust
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

C'mon lads
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP