Michael Bent

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

User avatar
curates_egg
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2635
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Michael Bent

Post by curates_egg »

If you are thinking about a squad with 5 props, surely he would be at least worth a look if his form continues.
Apart from Hagan (and Court), do we have anyone who can play both sides. When Jack tried there, it didn't look too convincing.

User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
Posts: 26654
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Michael Bent

Post by Donny B. »

curates_egg wrote:If you are thinking about a squad with 5 props, surely he would be at least worth a look if his form continues.
Apart from Hagan (and Court), do we have anyone who can play both sides. When Jack tried there, it didn't look too convincing.
Court isn't worth a damn on the tight-side. And Hagan's ability on the loose side has still yet to be really tested.

User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
Posts: 1250
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Re: Michael Bent

Post by TrapperChamonix »

molloyjh wrote:self, just the situation. I'd be in complete agreement with him on that one tbh. It was utterly crazy to get a guy off the plane and into a green jersey the way we did. And ultimately it shone a spotlight on Bent, who really didn't need or deserve it. Plenty of others then jumped on the bandwagon and started knocking the guy. It was never his fault.
Just curious, other than a longer flight, how is this different than, Easterby x2, Rob Henderson, Kevin Maggs et al. We never required any of them to play in Ireland prior to their International selections.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference

User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
Posts: 1729
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by molloyjh »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
molloyjh wrote:self, just the situation. I'd be in complete agreement with him on that one tbh. It was utterly crazy to get a guy off the plane and into a green jersey the way we did. And ultimately it shone a spotlight on Bent, who really didn't need or deserve it. Plenty of others then jumped on the bandwagon and started knocking the guy. It was never his fault.
Just curious, other than a longer flight, how is this different than, Easterby x2, Rob Henderson, Kevin Maggs et al. We never required any of them to play in Ireland prior to their International selections.
Totally different time and context, no? Certainly when Henderson and Maggs were brought in we had yet to really embrace professionalism. And until the creation of the Celtic League (after the Easterbys were first capped) the provinces didn't have a full season of games to play. When Bent was brought in we had 4 provinces who had seen pretty good investment. They were professional organisations with Academy structures and all that went with it specifically designed to develop players in all positions. And when Bent was first capped Irish provinces had won 5 of the last 7 HECs plus were generally pretty dominant in the league. There were plenty of excuses for not having international quality player 15-20 years ago, but 2 years ago we really shouldn't have been facing that problem.

User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
Posts: 26654
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Michael Bent

Post by Donny B. »

molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Plenty online have been willing to eat humble pie over the past season.
Maybe it's time some of those pundits (like Wood), who were very publicly slagging him off, did so too.
While a few were slagging him off from what I remember of Woods comments they were all about how it was ridiculous that he went straight into the Irish side without ever having played for Leinster.
Well since the only other option was Stephen Archer (who looked in physical danger in the scrum when he played against Australia even a year later) it was time for desperate measures.

User avatar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by simonokeeffe »

Donny B. wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Plenty online have been willing to eat humble pie over the past season.
Maybe it's time some of those pundits (like Wood), who were very publicly slagging him off, did so too.
While a few were slagging him off from what I remember of Woods comments they were all about how it was ridiculous that he went straight into the Irish side without ever having played for Leinster.
Well since the only other option was Stephen Archer (who looked in physical danger in the scrum when he played against Australia even a year later) it was time for desperate measures.
Donny's right, I think part of the despair was emmm despair at how 4 provinces could only manage so few props of a sufficient standard

Even now Archer cant on field in big games when BJ Botha is sucking diesel in a pre second half warm up

We need to chant his name more at games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon

User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6211
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Michael Bent

Post by blockhead »

Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine,
You blow my mind,
Hey Mickey!
Hey Mickey!

?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
Posts: 1729
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:Donny's right, I think part of the despair was emmm despair at how 4 provinces could only manage so few props of a sufficient standard
Oh exactly, and that's what I meant. My recollection of Woods comments were that they were more like "it's a disgrace that we need to drag a guy straight from the plane to the pitch because we can't develop a second TH" as opposed to comments directed about or at Bent personally. And there was some of that about. But then there were a lot of people directing their frustration at Bent himself, which was bang out of order.

User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
Posts: 1729
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by molloyjh »

blockhead wrote:Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine,
You blow my mind,
Hey Mickey!
Hey Mickey!

?
I've always thought that song/chant didn't suit the Irish. Mainly because of the clear and obvious connotation.

User avatar
neiliog93
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4016
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Michael Bent

Post by neiliog93 »

They need to scrap the "1.5 metre push" limit in under-age rugby. This essentially allows highly ambitious coaches to select back-row type builds at prop, who can contribute more in the line-out and around the park generally. Now, some prop-type builds still get picked, but because the scrum is less important with the push limit, a lot of more rangy, athletic builds end up getting selected. Many of these guys will never have the physique to play professional rugby as a prop.

All of this is compounded by the fact that when they're 19 and starting senior rugby, they've never been in a scenario where you scrummage more than 1.5 metres. The only reason they give for the rule is some nonsense about safety - pushing in scrums is a lot less dangerous than flying head first into a ruck! In South Africa, for example, there's no such rule, and they generally produce good props (no CJ jokes).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goreyguy
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5851
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Re: Michael Bent

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:They need to scrap the "1.5 metre push" limit in under-age rugby. This essentially allows highly ambitious coaches to select back-row type builds at prop, who can contribute more in the line-out and around the park generally. Now, some prop-type builds still get picked, but because the scrum is less important with the push limit, a lot of more rangy, athletic builds end up getting selected. Many of these guys will never have the physique to play professional rugby as a prop.

All of this is compounded by the fact that when they're 19 and starting senior rugby, they've never been in a scenario where you scrummage more than 1.5 metres. The only reason they give for the rule is some nonsense about safety - pushing in scrums is a lot less dangerous than flying head first into a ruck! In South Africa, for example, there's no such rule, and they generally produce good props (no CJ jokes).
considering we are producing more props than the other provinces i'm not so sure.. should be about developing technique not relying on size/power.

User avatar
olaf the fat
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3633
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: Michael Bent

Post by olaf the fat »

neiliog93 wrote:They need to scrap the "1.5 metre push" limit in under-age rugby. This essentially allows highly ambitious coaches to select back-row type builds at prop, who can contribute more in the line-out and around the park generally. Now, some prop-type builds still get picked, but because the scrum is less important with the push limit, a lot of more rangy, athletic builds end up getting selected. Many of these guys will never have the physique to play professional rugby as a prop.

All of this is compounded by the fact that when they're 19 and starting senior rugby, they've never been in a scenario where you scrummage more than 1.5 metres. The only reason they give for the rule is some nonsense about safety - pushing in scrums is a lot less dangerous than flying head first into a ruck! In South Africa, for example, there's no such rule, and they generally produce good props (no CJ jokes).

Yeah, just what rugby needs - more kids in wheel chairs
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian

User avatar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cian Healy didnt play prop til he left school and he did ok

For Bent how about we sing 'Michael they are taking you away'?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon

User avatar
Lar
Mullet
Posts: 1694
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Michael Bent

Post by Lar »

Bent, Bent, Michael Bent;
Your name may be queer
But we're glad that you're here!

Repeat etc....



[Not sure it passes the PC test]
Four Stars

User avatar
neiliog93
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4016
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Michael Bent

Post by neiliog93 »

olaf the fat wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:They need to scrap the "1.5 metre push" limit in under-age rugby. This essentially allows highly ambitious coaches to select back-row type builds at prop, who can contribute more in the line-out and around the park generally. Now, some prop-type builds still get picked, but because the scrum is less important with the push limit, a lot of more rangy, athletic builds end up getting selected. Many of these guys will never have the physique to play professional rugby as a prop.

All of this is compounded by the fact that when they're 19 and starting senior rugby, they've never been in a scenario where you scrummage more than 1.5 metres. The only reason they give for the rule is some nonsense about safety - pushing in scrums is a lot less dangerous than flying head first into a ruck! In South Africa, for example, there's no such rule, and they generally produce good props (no CJ jokes).

Yeah, just what rugby needs - more kids in wheel chairs
A greater than 1.5 metre push won't put kids in wheelchairs. Most scrum paralysis incidents involved a collapse at the old 'engage'. There aren't more kids in wheelchairs in South Africa, for example.

I take the point about Leinster producing more props though.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
fourthirtythree
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9477
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Michael Bent

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine,
You blow my mind,
Hey Mickey!
Hey Mickey!

?
Do you know what that song is actually about?


answer is no obviously! It's not remotely innocent shall we say...
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan

User avatar
IanD
Official Mascot
Posts: 1543
Joined: May 2nd, 2006, 1:51 pm
Location: Wicklow Town

Re: Michael Bent

Post by IanD »

How about ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQK1SE47HCk


Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah

Ross help to trim the scrum, Hallelujah
Ross help to trim the scrum, Hallelujah

The Second row is deep and wide, Hallelujah
And we got a score on the other side, Hallelujah

Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah

Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah

The Mexican trumpets sound, Hallelujah
The trumpets sound for you and me, Hallelujah

Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah

Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Michael pushed the scrum ashore, Hallelujah
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!

User avatar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bent low Bent chariot?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon

User avatar
domhnallj
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2809
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Michael Bent

Post by domhnallj »

I'm working on a haiku chant.

Benty benty is sort of like bently
you do not look like one
except for your arse
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation

User avatar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Michael Bent

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:I'm working on a haiku chant.

Benty benty is sort of like bently
you do not look like one
except for your arse
thats the catchiest thing since Ebola
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon

Post Reply