Michael Bent

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Michael Bent

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 5th, 2020, 3:37 pm 5 years on he is entering leinster cult hero status for me, nearing 150 caps for Leinster too.

Based on the thread he was a cult hero 5 years ago
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I hope Bent gets a new contract, he was absolutely brilliant against Ulster.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby prop Michael Bent has announced his decision to retire from professional rugby at the end of the current season.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

“It has been a privilege. Thank you.” – Michael Bent

April 22, 2021 10:57 am Marcus Ó Buachalla
“It has been a privilege. Thank you.” – Michael Bent

Leinster Rugby prop Michael Bent has announced his decision to retire from professional rugby at the end of the current season.

Bent, who joined Leinster in 2012 and has been capped on four occasions by Ireland, has played on 155 occasions for the club since his debut against Zebre in December 2012.

In his first season, Bent played 14 games as Leinster won a Challenge Cup and domestic double and over the next nine seasons contributed to a Heineken Champions Cup, a Challenge Cup and six domestic Guinness PRO12/14 titles.

As well as being remarkably durable during his nine seasons in blue, Bent was also a huge asset on both sides of the front row.

He started out and is currently regarded as a tighthead prop, but he was, for three seasons, an option at loosehead also.

Bent will retire from the game at the end of season when he returns to New Zealand with his wife Celyse and children Emmerson and Eli.

Speaking about his decision, Bent, who turns 35 at the weekend, said, “Firstly, I’d like to express my gratitude for the support I’ve received throughout my time with Leinster. Leinster supporters are world class.

“I’m aware that not everyone gets the opportunity to have nine years with a team, especially not one the calibre of Leinster so for that in itself, I’m incredibly grateful. I’ve been lucky enough to play alongside and against some of the greats with a team that has achieved so much.

“My career has seen its share of ups and downs and I’m grateful for it all as it has led me to where I am today both professionally and within my life outside of rugby.

“I couldn’t have done this without the support of my wife, Celyse, my children Emme and Eli, and my family. I’m looking forward to the start of our future back home in New Zealand on our family farm and hopefully I’ll be able to keep myself involved in the local rugby scene in some way.

“I owe this opportunity and the last nine years to my grandmother, Myrtle, and her incredible journey from Rathmines in Dublin to New Zealand all those years ago. I hope I have made her proud and my only wish is that she could have been there to see me play and to pull on the blue of Leinster and the green of Ireland.

“I’ll always consider Ireland my second home. It’s the birth place of my children and it holds so many memories for me and my family.

“It’s a unique season to be retiring on and I do hope before the boots are hung up for good that there might be supporters back in the stands.

“If not, it has been a privilege. Thank you.”

After making his Leinster debut in December 2012, he would have to wait until February 2014 for his first try away from home against Cardiff Blues and four years later in February 2018, he would lead the team out on the occasion of his 100th cap against Edinburgh.

Last month in the final of the Guinness PRO14, Bent, along with Devin Toner and Scott Fardy, lifted the PRO14 trophy on behalf of the wider squad of 57 players as Leinster accounted for Munster Rugby at the RDS Arena.

Leinster Rugby head coach Leo Cullen referenced that honour as he led the tributes to the much-loved front rower.

“We will all be sorry to say goodbye to Michael Bent, who will undoubtedly go down as one of the unsung heroes of Leinster Rugby.

“Since arriving in Ireland and shortly after going on to make his Ireland debut, Michael has gone on to represent Leinster 155 times.

“With so many demands on our squad, including multiple players away on international duty, Benty has delivered rock-solid performances season after season, as well as providing much-needed leadership and guidance for the younger players.

“There is huge affection for Michael within the group and everyone will have seen what a popular figure he is when he got on stage with Fards and Dev to lift the Guinness PRO14 trophy recently.

“We would like to wish Michael, his wife Celyse and their two children Emme and Eli safe travels and the best of luck as they begin the next phase of their life back in New Zealand.”
Warning! Don't read this while chopping onions.
Feck it anyways someone get me a tissue....
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I can only assume that if he wanted another year he would have got it as he has never played better then he has this year.

Can't blame guys wanting to go home in the current climate though.

If the new guy does have as good a job as Mike did, he'll be doing alright.

The very best of luck to a real unsung hero. Thanks for memories mate :clap:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

He's been an absolute bedrock of the team in the last four league titles. He'll be sorely missed.

Best of luck to him and his family back in New Zealand.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks Benty!

I massively regret being underwhelmed for a few years, he’s been brilliant for us and truly one of the key players in the entire league over the last few seasons. If you’ve a guy like him giving a platform for everyone else then it makes life so much easier.

Hope he enjoys his retirement :happy clapper:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The first few pages of this thread look pretty foolish now!

Absolute Leinster legend and will be sorely missed.

I'd say if you did an analysis he'd be up there with the best value for money players in Europe over the last 10 years.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:43 am The first few pages of this thread look pretty foolish now!

Absolute Leinster legend and will be sorely missed.

I'd say if you did an analysis he'd be up there with the best value for money players in Europe over the last 10 years.
If this thread shows anything it’s that we shouldn’t write off people. He has been a true rock for us and has allowed Leinster to really cultivate new talent in the pack over time. Great servant to the province and he will be missed next season
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

GRMA, Michael Bent. You're the rock that held the Leinster scrum together on so many memorable occasions over ten years! Best wishes to you and your family for the future!!!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Benty and Fardy were two superb signings, both gave their all every time they pulled on a Leinster shirt .
While Fardy's contribution got a fair bit of coverage in the national press, Benty didn't always get the recognition he deserved other than from the fans in the RDS who always appreciated his value to the team.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

https://www.the42.ie/michael-bent-leins ... 4-Feb2018/
hard to believe this article was 3 years ago (referenced in a different thread)......

Well done Michael Bent.
Best wishes to you and your family for happiness and good health in whatever the next part of life's journey brings you to...
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Absolute ledge of a player, very under appreciated elsewhere on this island, but who gives a f%~k what they think anyway.

To steal a phrase, I can use a persons opinion on Bent to judge how seriously to take their opinion
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote: March 8th, 2021, 9:10 am I hope Bent gets a new contract, he was absolutely brilliant against Ulster.
:cry:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

The expression - Can he do it on a wet Tuesday in Stoke was never more apt.
I honestly cant remember any game he ever let himself or the team down.
No matter if it was a wet night in Newport or a big European game he was always giving 100%. You can ask no more of a man.
Congratulations on a wonderful career and thank you so much for all you gave to your club
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The first legend T-shirt was for Girv not Drico, D'Arcy, Den or any of the galacticos. Girv was exactly like Benty, super player who modestly got on with doing his best for the club. These lads are the fabric of the club and we wouldn't have won 4 Champions Cups without them. All the best to Benty and his family, he'll never have to buy a pint again in Dublin and OLSC how about that T-shirt?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I can see the similarity - Girv was a solid, reliable player and not one of the "galacticos" - but with 82 international caps I wouldn't say he was exactly like Benty
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The most sung unsung hero I can think of for Leinster, certainly in recent times. The last couple of years he’s literally been for me at least the 3rd best Irish qualified tight head around. One performance that stands out for me was back when there were question marks about whether he was good enough on the big days, away to Castres early in the 2014-2015 season there were reservations about our scrum and if it would stand up to theirs and if Bent could handle the pressure, it wasn’t a great match but Benty gave them little change at scrum time, he has hardly ever looked back for us since.

He deserved to be selected on form for the World Cup in 2015 I think a lot of people had him down on their selection lists and he’s probably missed out on a lot of Irish caps because he was seen as Leinster’s 3rd choice tight head as opposed to Ireland’s 3rd best. He stuck with Leinster thankfully and sacrificed more Irish caps and for that I will be forever grateful to the man.

Another guy who will be hugely missed from our set up. Thanks for the many, many memories Benty. Go well.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Laighin Break wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 1:59 pm I can see the similarity - Girv was a solid, reliable player and not one of the "galacticos" - but with 82 international caps I wouldn't say he was exactly like Benty
No, you're right, Girv was an international class FB and scored a lot of tries. My point was that he was was an unsung hero who worked hard for the club and excelled for the club.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

So much love for Bentos. What a servant he has been!