RDS bar prices

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Scrumdog
Bookworm

RDS bar prices

Post by Scrumdog »

Anyone else think the bar prices in the Laighin Out bar are very expensive? Before the budget it was €5.50 a pint of larger and now it's up to €5.80 a pint. It only went up 10 cents in the budget so how can they justify the extra 20 cents on what was a very expensive pint to begin with. Most clubs actually offer cheaper drink than regular bars. I remember the quarter final in the stoop a few years back offering 2 for the price of one for an already cheap drink. We on the other hand just screw the supporters for every last penny. I can only imagine what the away supporters must think. For an official supporters bar I think we should be getting far better value than we are. I know the OLSC have put in a lot of hard work in making improvements over the last while and I'm not having a go at them . Rant over
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: RDS bar prices

Post by johng »

Scrumdog wrote:Anyone else think the bar prices in the Laighin Out bar are very expensive? Before the budget it was €5.50 a pint of larger and now it's up to €5.80 a pint. It only went up 10 cents in the budget so how can they justify the extra 20 cents on what was a very expensive pint to begin with. Most clubs actually offer cheaper drink than regular bars. I remember the quarter final in the stoop a few years back offering 2 for the price of one for an already cheap drink. We on the other hand just screw the supporters for every last penny. I can only imagine what the away supporters must think. For an official supporters bar I think we should be getting far better value than we are. I know the OLSC have put in a lot of hard work in making improvements over the last while and I'm not having a go at them . Rant over
Same price hike round the ground. Probably a global type deal on behalf of the RDS.

Hot whiskey still 5.50 though.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
Scrumdog wrote:Anyone else think the bar prices in the Laighin Out bar are very expensive? Before the budget it was €5.50 a pint of larger and now it's up to €5.80 a pint. It only went up 10 cents in the budget so how can they justify the extra 20 cents on what was a very expensive pint to begin with. Most clubs actually offer cheaper drink than regular bars. I remember the quarter final in the stoop a few years back offering 2 for the price of one for an already cheap drink. We on the other hand just screw the supporters for every last penny. I can only imagine what the away supporters must think. For an official supporters bar I think we should be getting far better value than we are. I know the OLSC have put in a lot of hard work in making improvements over the last while and I'm not having a go at them . Rant over
Same price hike round the ground. Probably a global type deal on behalf of the RDS.

Hot whiskey still 5.50 though.
I think hot whiskey is €5.70. I thought I saw that sign at one of the hot whiskey stands at the south end of the grandstand.

The bars in the RDS on match days (maybe the other ones too?), as well as the Laighin Out bar, are run by the Madison Group, who also run the Horse Show House. I agree that the prices are *very* expensive. You're given dodgy beer if you're there early (not enough flow through the taps to get decent pints), and I can't remember the last time that I was able to get a G&T there, as they always run out of tonic. They don't have to have high prices to cover overheads and to make up for quiet times. I really think the OLSC should look at trying to reduce the prices there; the high prices certainly make me far more selective about when I go there (ie, I go there less often as a result of the prices).
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Such a rip off. Glad I don't have to pay that sort of money for a pint.
Bosley
Beginner

Pricey Pints at RDS

Post by Bosley »

Anyone notice the price of a int at the game at the RDS on Saturday?
It is now an incredible €5.80 for a pint of lager served in a filthy bar in a plastic glass. That's a 30 cent increase.
Do these guys not realise we are in a recession?
Its a disgrace, anyone agree? Is it time for a Boycott?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Stay away from ALL the bars in the ground. They are royally(pardon the pun)taking the piss.

Things will only change when people vote with their feet. Although this being Ireland i fully expect the punters to accept the price hike with mild indifference. 'tis an Irish thing.
3 Gold Stars
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Pricey Pints at RDS

Post by Danthefan »

Bosley wrote:Anyone notice the price of a int at the game at the RDS on Saturday?
It is now an incredible €5.80 for a pint of lager served in a filthy bar in a plastic glass. That's a 30 cent increase.
I don't agree with it being a "disgrace", they're a business, they are looking to make money, the fact it's a recession doesn't make a difference. You have the freedom to choose to not buy anything from them. I certainly won't be.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Bring cans. I do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Pricey Pints at RDS

Post by Oldschool »

Danthefan wrote:
Bosley wrote:Anyone notice the price of a int at the game at the RDS on Saturday?
I don't agree with it being a "disgrace", they're a business, they are looking to make money, the fact it's a recession doesn't make a difference. You have the freedom to choose to not buy anything from them. I certainly won't be.
Well said! Perhaps a good New Years resolution. "No more being ripped off, without at the very least complaining"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Degz wrote:Bring cans. I do.
As do I..
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

If you're out for the night and want to start off after the game in the Laighin Out get a soft drink or bottle of water. When you head to the pub afterwards, that's when you can get your beers. That's what I do generally. I really can't justify to myself spending more than €5 for a pint.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Bosley
Beginner

Post by Bosley »

I didnt realise the bars in the ground were run by Madison Group nor was I referring to the Laighinn Out. The irony is you can get a pint of lager for 4.75 in the Horseshow House if you show your season ticket. I disagree with the earlier post, its a disgrace a rip off and I will be voting with my feet.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Spent the last few days in Mayo, not once did I pay over €4 for a pint.
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

Have been for a while!
The Overseer
Scrum 5
Bookworm

Post by Scrum 5 »

Walked by the pubs in Ballsbridge more than an hour before the match and thought to go to the supporters bar instead. When seeing that I pay more for a pint in the outside bar, in cold surroundings, no seating and out of a fairly pathetic plastic glass I know I won't be walking past the pubs again to go to the outside bars. Shame really.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Offiah wrote:
Have been for a while!
Cans are fine for people who drink beer, but not much help for those of us who don't like pints. My only option in most of the bars is a glass of warm white wine. Not the most appealing. Also, we don't drink at all games; it'd be nice to have the option of choosing to have a drink without having to suffer poor quality and high prices.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Bosley wrote:I didnt realise the bars in the ground were run by Madison Group nor was I referring to the Laighinn Out. The irony is you can get a pint of lager for 4.75 in the Horseshow House if you show your season ticket. I disagree with the earlier post, its a disgrace a rip off and I will be voting with my feet.
Do you? :shock: News (of the welcome sort) to me! I've long thought that the prices in the RDS have been indefensible. But- other than individual boycotts, what can we do without it?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bottle of champers and a couple of flutes in the grandstand like proper Leinsterfans.

You don't even need an opener.
Bosley
Beginner

Post by Bosley »

I suppose cans are the way forward if you enjoy a beer while watching the game,and a cheap pint in the horseshow after or of course champers if you are a marble muncher
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bosley wrote:I suppose cans are the way forward if you enjoy a beer while watching the game,and a cheap pint in the horseshow after or of course champers if you are a marble muncher
Beer from a can? Ewwww. Worse than a plastic glass.